• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were they expensive? In my humble opinion your trousers look good and it's natural to have few creases here and there when you move.
Yeah, it boggles my mind how many people think clothing doesn't fit well or isn't tailored correctly when its really just a matter of body type.

CorozoButton

Reaction score
Can one remove the roll of fabric from beneath the collar on a shirt the same way it can be done on a jacket (shortening the collar)?

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sent in these blue wool pants for Luxire to replicate (albeit slimmer than SF approved, but I enjoy this type of fit).

View attachment 1327417

The replication of these Drago Birdseye (250gsm) pants is the exact same, but doesn't quite drape as nicely and I have significant bunching/twisting in places, I'm sure attributed to a lighter fabric.

View attachment 1327423 View attachment 1327421 View attachment 1327422 View attachment 1327424

2 questions:

1) What can I get a tailor to improve with these current pants (shorten length? 1"? 2"?)

2) What recommendations for my next iteration (little tight in the seat)

Shortened the length a bit, and fixed some other seat issues. Probably the best I can do with this pair for now, will consider a slightly higher rise on the next go!

A09F811F-B65F-4DC8-B950-AFC81C32E715.jpeg 22A3D062-8C25-4C31-B936-EA8ABD67A6AA.jpeg 7092837B-E181-4253-9B6F-8064D36BE890.jpeg

CorozoButton

Reaction score
Can a waistcoat be shortened from the top? I understand it would change proportions etc, but in theory, is there any reason a waistcoat couldn't have 1cm taken off the length by re-joining the top of the front to the back, but cutting out the top 1cm?

Thanks!

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can a waistcoat be shortened from the top? I understand it would change proportions etc, but in theory, is there any reason a waistcoat couldn't have 1cm taken off the length by re-joining the top of the front to the back, but cutting out the top 1cm?

Thanks!
Yes

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back at square 1. This used to be a 36R, tailor had to let out the armholes and the back from weightlifting.

ygpmaDi.jpg

Ol6YBfx.jpg

utOcEeP.jpg

olyH65i.jpg

What on earth is going on with the back and sides, and can this be fixed? If so, what should I tell my tailor?

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back at square 1. This used to be a 36R, tailor had to let out the armholes and the back from weightlifting.

ygpmaDi.jpg

Ol6YBfx.jpg

utOcEeP.jpg

olyH65i.jpg

What on earth is going on with the back and sides, and can this be fixed? If so, what should I tell my tailor?
Or find a new tailor?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or find a new tailor?
Been down that road. He's the best around where I live, the others can't do anything beyond hemming jeans or taking in a shirt.

He narrowed the shoulders on an overcoat and shortened the collar on a jacket successfully in the past, so I'm thinking it's a communication issue. I did tell him I don't want the jacket catching on my butt as well.

chatelet

Reaction score

ygpmaDi.jpg

Ol6YBfx.jpg

utOcEeP.jpg

olyH65i.jpg

I’m no expert but it looks like there is excess fabric everywhere below the shoulders. Perhaps it didn’t need to be let out at all?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m no expert but it looks like there is excess fabric everywhere below the shoulders. Perhaps it didn’t need to be let out at all?
Looks like it.

As long as it's fixable, that's all I care about. I really like this jacket and I loathe to get rid of anything.

I'll just tag the man himself @jefferyd

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks like it.

As long as it's fixable, that's all I care about. I really like this jacket and I loathe to get rid of anything.

Honestly there is more work involved in fixing this jacket than it’s worth. On top of it, it looks like a garment dyed cotton and it will be obvious that you’ve had work done. If he let it out at center back (hard to tell) he could reverse that but you’d be back where you started and It still would be messy, though not as bad.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly there is more work involved in fixing this jacket than it’s worth. On top of it, it looks like a garment dyed cotton and it will be obvious that you’ve had work done. If he let it out at center back (hard to tell) he could reverse that but you’d be back where you started and It still would be messy, though not as bad.
thank you jeffery, this confirms what everyone else is saying

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I have a tailoring questions I hope you can help me with.

I commissioned an MTM piece that turned out like this:

1582562162376.png

1582562211088.png

I think it generally looks good, but there is one issue that's being fixed.

Specifically, when I move, I get a collar gap on the jacket that doesn't settle down on its own. That is, I have to readjust the jacket on my frame to make it go away.

The tailor at the shop is going to take in the collar by half an inch to rectify the problem.

Now knowing that there can be multiple causes for collar gap (and multiple potential solutions), is there anything that stands out in the attached pics that could indicate what the cause of the problem is? I rarely run into this issue.

Any and all help is appreciated!

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have I gone too suppressed on the waist of this shirt? It doesn't look terrible from the front. I thought adding some depth to the darts would alleviate the lower back wrinkling from a previous iteration, but it hasn't helped..

Also not sure the shirring on the back was a great idea..

image (6).jpg
image (7).jpg

image (8).jpg
image (9).jpg

Attachments

• image (9).jpg
    image (9).jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 35

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads