• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The current front rise is 10.5” - so maybe 11.5” ?

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got my RTW TF jacket altered and even though it is much more comfortable I feel like my alterations tailor removed the integrity of the TF look and made look like a random jacket. Can somebody please give me advice on what I should tell my tailor (Andreas Georges in SF)? I pointed out a few things already but he said the fabric has to settle, which seems to be code for “I don’t care and I need to deal with the next customer”: pics below first before and and then after:

Attachments

• 000C6D13-2A7E-4D80-A027-D024ED45C83F.jpeg
    000C6D13-2A7E-4D80-A027-D024ED45C83F.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 104
  • A24151FA-B49B-4D4B-944D-26427277D5F0.jpeg
    A24151FA-B49B-4D4B-944D-26427277D5F0.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 123

mux8

Reaction score
So I got my RTW TF jacket altered and even though it is much more comfortable I feel like my alterations tailor removed the integrity of the TF look and made look like a random jacket. Can somebody please give me advice on what I should tell my tailor (Andreas Georges in SF)? I pointed out a few things already but he said the fabric has to settle, which seems to be code for “I don’t care and I need to deal with the next customer”: pics below first before and and then after:
What did the tailor do? Let out the center back? IMO looks good but I'm not a tailor

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did the tailor do? Let out the center back? IMO looks good but I'm not a tailor
Fair enough, yes he let out the back, but I feel the signature TF look with the waist surpression is gone.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oooops I take everything back.... all my bad experiences apparently have turned me into a bitter person looks like the fabric did settle or maybe I was being paranoid and the Negroni helped either way I think the jacket looks pretty darn good now.

Attachments

• 86FA54E9-17A4-4B8D-8B92-0302A1D550D9.jpeg
    86FA54E9-17A4-4B8D-8B92-0302A1D550D9.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 149

monkk

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I have bespoke pants from travelling tailor, who sent finished pants and disappeared.
Pants looks good from font.
IMG-20190811-WA0002.jpg

Decent from side and back when I lean front/pull back raise up/chinc waist.
IMG-20190811-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20190811-WA0006.jpg

However in natural posture they bunch below seat.
IMG-20190811-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20190811-WA0003.jpg

Thinking taking them to local tailor. Any advice on alteration, since I don't have trustworthy tailor?

Cheers.

joorinainen

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I have bespoke pants from travelling tailor, who sent finished pants and disappeared.
Pants looks good from font.
View attachment 1332920
Decent from side and back when I lean front/pull back raise up/chinc waist.
View attachment 1332921
View attachment 1332922
However in natural posture they bunch below seat.
View attachment 1332923
View attachment 1332924
Thinking taking them to local tailor. Any advice on alteration, since I don't have trustworthy tailor?

Cheers.

Were they expensive? In my humble opinion your trousers look good and it's natural to have few creases here and there when you move.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were they expensive? In my humble opinion your trousers look good and it's natural to have few creases here and there when you move.
LOL what do you mean disappeared ? how much did you pay for them and more importantly who is the tailor?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seems risky to give this job to a tailor you don't trust. It's more about recutting the back than altering and will best be done by a tailor who can make a trouser over someone who has never made trousers.
The back will have compromises after the adjustment. If they do it properly they will take in the back on the outseam and this will bring the back pocket closer to the front/side seam. They will cut cloth from the top of the back part to raise the back part. Then let out and reshape the seat. This cleans up the wrinkles. The back pockets will now be closer to the waist band seam and will probably appear crooked. Closer to the seam on one end compared to the other. The back side strap will need to be removed and the waist band seam opened. Putting it back as well as before so it doesn't look altered is important.
After the adjustment a lot of people feel a pulling at the front of the knee when they walk. This is to be expected and you have to be accepting of this trade off. This effect happens more as a result of the alteration and isn't always the case if it is corrected during the cutting. This issue/fault isn't controlled by measurements. It's part of the DNA of a pattern and how the front and back align in regards to your posture.

Torulf

Reaction score
Hi all,
Had a suit made by a local MTM shop, quite happy with the results but I am really confused about the placement of the patch pockets. I am tall, 6,4, and I'm afraid that this looks a bit stupid. Where would you place the patch pockets? Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• jacket.jpeg
    jacket.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 134

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi all,
Had a suit made by a local MTM shop, quite happy with the results but I am really confused about the placement of the patch pockets. I am tall, 6,4, and I'm afraid that this looks a bit stupid. Where would you place the patch pockets? Thanks a lot.
It’s not the placement but the size. They would be better proportioned to the jacket if they were taller. Maybe .75 to 1”. Depending on the maker this may not be an option. Some MTM programs don’t make these modifications possible as they keep changes to a minimum to standardize cutting and production. Ask the maker what their policy is.

Torulf

Reaction score
It’s not the placement but the size. They would be better proportioned to the jacket if they were taller. Maybe .75 to 1”. Depending on the maker this may not be an option. Some MTM programs don’t make these modifications possible as they keep changes to a minimum to standardize cutting and production. Ask the maker what their policy is.
Of course, this makes sense, thanks a big bunch.

Reaction score
Hi all,
Got this Navy 3-piece Washington suit from Suitsupply. How's the fit, and are the sleeves a little short?

71781514_738931596519714_4453117943277944832_n.jpg
71467600_2191074911197961_5962711008366559232_n (2).jpg

monkk

Reaction score
LOL what do you mean disappeared ? how much did you pay for them and more importantly who is the tailor?
Well,they did not disappeared, just stopped visiting city I live.
Bit disappointed of them being too 'italian' and selling as all is possible and alterations untill fully happy. On first trial arriving without anyone speaking other language apart Italian. And pants delivering when I cannot try them on, leaving them to pick up and later requesting to send via post to fix.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads