• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm convinced that I need to go to from at least a 33 to a 34. That would probably put me at 1.5-2" from the V or a little short of the thumb knuckle. Should I be considering 35 given supposed shrinkage? I'm going to buy a barrel cuff rather than French (really just wanted to check out the fit) and likely wear it without a jacket at times. Would that be too much material in the arms?
Hard to say for sure whether you should go one or two more inches if we have no idea how much the sleeves will shrink. If the picture you posted was a 33” sleeve then you could go to 35 if you’re expecting the sleeves to shrink 0.5-1”.

Scarlatti

Reaction score
Dear SF community,

I'd appreciate some feedback on how to improve the fit of these trousers. There seems to be excess material below the waistband, and the area below the seat and the thigh obviously need some improvement. So I'm thinking that backrise should be reduced at the waistband and increased at the seat. But will this solve all problems?

Fraussie

Reaction score
Hi guys

So I've got a reasonably well fitted high-rise suit trouser pattern locked in with Luxire. I asked them to make me a pair of chinos with a lower rise (lower by 2 inches at the front). I also asked to make the thigh circumference a bit slimmer - they reduced by 0.75" (so 1.5" total).

This is the fit I got: massive wedgy... Pretty uncomfortable.

Here's a comparison between these low rise chinos and the suit trousers they were based on:

In your opinion, what has gone wrong here?

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sized up on this eidos sport coat and the shoulders are a little too wide. Let me know if you think they are terrible and I should sell. I’m on the fence.

Attachments

• 27A5E3C3-8A7C-492B-9429-0A24CB81391F.jpeg
    27A5E3C3-8A7C-492B-9429-0A24CB81391F.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 3713598F-F915-4BB7-998E-6C40002F49CA.jpeg
    3713598F-F915-4BB7-998E-6C40002F49CA.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 75

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a custom S&M shirt that has this ridge/bunching along the traps?

I can't figure out what to adjust to fix it, and I don't have that problem with other shirts (this was a copy of a custom shirt from another vendor). Maybe an issue with the yoke?

First pic has the sleeve cuffs buttoned up, second is with them unbuttoned (I think my sleeves are a touch short, open to suggestions)

It extends around the back too:

Some other pics over the overall ft:

Don't mind the ill-fitting pants, one of my earlier MTM iterations that I feel obligated to make use of.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks like the yoke isn't sitting on your shoulder properly. Too much slope on the front shoulder and you have very forward shoulders that should be adjusted for. They probably copied the measurements form your sample shirt but the angles and slopes are off on this one.
Really commented on this to ask what kettle you have on the counter? See you use a Chemex.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the yoke isn't sitting on your shoulder properly. Too much slope on the front shoulder and you have very forward shoulders that should be adjusted for. They probably copied the measurements form your sample shirt but the angles and slopes are off on this one.
Really commented on this to ask what kettle you have on the counter? See you use a Chemex.

Looks like a Bodum but I can’t confirm without seeing the handle.

Reactions: 1up

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sized up on this eidos sport coat and the shoulders are a little too wide. Let me know if you think they are terrible and I should sell. I’m on the fence.

If anything it looks like your deltoids are too large for the sleevehead. Sell it.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The pictures don't show anything to diagnose from. If the fold in the upper sleeve (divots) is the problem, it is not related to the shoulders being too wide. This has been discussed multiple times. You can search for "divots"

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is! A Bodum Melior Gooseneck, was approximately $20USD and works great.

Thank you for the advice fellas, I probably won't sell it, but maybe ask them for suggestions with emphasis on looking at the yoke..

I don't mind wearing imperfect garments, I mean look at my pants :)

gianm

Reaction score
Can this crease in the back be resolved? Fit elsewhere seems fine. Doesn't feel tight worn.

Attachments

• IMG_20200125_145510-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200125_145510-01.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 69

CorozoButton

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Been refining my MtM pattern, and I'm wondering if anyone can advise on some creasing/breaking on the right hand side by my armpit. I think it's possibly to do with my dropped shoulder, although I think I also have forward shoulders, so that may contribute. It's not that easy to photograph, and does look worse in real life. Also, possibly some sleeve pitch issues? Hopefully Despos may have some insight! I've put a main picture in, and attached quite a few, including some without the jacket in case it helps with figuration etc. At the moment, I have both my shoulders set to slightly square, and also slight forward shoulder, as well as a slightly prominent chest. Any other fit advice/critique welcome too!

Ps. Please ignore the styling, it's just a test garment for fit and to try out various different styling options (I would not actually order a worsted 3r2 wide peak lapel with patch pockets currently).

IMG_9732.jpg

IMG_9733.jpg
IMG_9742.jpg
IMG_9738.jpg
IMG_9735.jpg
IMG_9731.jpg
IMG_9729.jpg
IMG_9728.jpg
IMG_9725.jpg
IMG_9720.jpg
IMG_9719.jpg
IMG_9718.jpg
IMG_9717.jpg

papado

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Been refining my MtM pattern, and I'm wondering if anyone can advise on some creasing/breaking on the right hand side by my armpit. I think it's possibly to do with my dropped shoulder, although I think I also have forward shoulders, so that may contribute. It's not that easy to photograph, and does look worse in real life. Also, possibly some sleeve pitch issues? Hopefully Despos may have some insight! I've put a main picture in, and attached quite a few, including some without the jacket in case it helps with figuration etc. At the moment, I have both my shoulders set to slightly square, and also slight forward shoulder, as well as a slightly prominent chest. Any other fit advice/critique welcome too!

Ps. Please ignore the styling, it's just a test garment for fit and to try out various different styling options (I would not actually order a worsted 3r2 wide peak lapel with patch pockets currently).

I will let the real tailors confirm but I have the same issue and it's caused by my dropped right shoulder and the waterfall effects from that difference.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can this crease in the back be resolved? Fit elsewhere seems fine. Doesn't feel tight worn.
Assuming this was made for you. Was anything altered after the jacket was finished? The angle of the wrinkles is puzzling as to what is the cause. Maybe a side view would help and your answer if it was altered after the last fitting

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads