1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Solarhaphaeriom,
    Have the hips let out from just under the arms to the hem on the side seams to see how much it will help the vent issue. If you have the vent closed they still need to let it out on the side seams. When they open the jacket, ask the tailor if they cut the center seam outlet right above the vent and hope that they didn't. Shortening won't help in any way. Until you know how doing this helps, no need to worry about other things yet.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. Despos

Jacket is too big and a little long for you. Pressing will have no effect on the shoulders. Correcting the bumps in the shoulders is very, very difficult and expensive.

1 person likes this.
  3. Despos

need better pictures

4. Solarhaphaeriom

Solarhaphaeriom Member

Thank you very much for the response. In my situation, should I take this to mean that I will have to find a local tailor to fix the cut of the original tailor (presumably at considerable cost)?

5. Despos

The fix is dependent on the outlets available on the side and center seam so a trip to the tailor just to open the lining to see what is inside to work with is what you want to know first. You only posted a back view so if there are other contributing factors, we can't see them. This isn't a complicated or big deal alteration, minimal expense. Would cost more to ship it back to maker.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  6. testchar

testchar New Member

Hey,
    Firstly i'd just like to say that this forum, and this thread in particular, have been extremely helpful. Thank you all so much for doing this!

I have a question about this suit i bought from j.crew on sale. it's the aldridge fit, which i guess is the roomier of the two. I was hoping you guys might have some thoughts about it. I know that i need to get the pants hemmed and the sleeves shortened a bit, but is the size right overall? As in, can the problems I have with this suit be rather easily fixed by a tailor, or would i be better off returning it? Personally I like it, but I would like some other opinions on it as well. I know i should take out the x's, not sure if i want to return it or not though. I hope the photos are adequate, I tried to follow the guidelines as best I could.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a photo of a suit from tommy hilfiger that's about $150 less, it's a 38s whereas the j.crew one is a 38r. Is short a better otr length for me, or is the jacket in the j.crew photos a better length. don't care much about fashion, just want something conservative, that also fits me correctly. Thanks in Advance!

[​IMG]

7. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Thanks! My tailor said the same thing about those bumps. Oh well.

Appreciate the feedback!

8. kwriley

kwriley Member

Does any one know where I can find Alfani Red suit measurements/dimensions? I would like to compare my Indochino measurements to Alfani's.

9. MrTransistor

MrTransistor Member

Just received a new Benjamin Classico suit and wanted to get the forum's thoughts before I take it to the tailor. I know that I need to shorten the sleeves and possibly rotate the right sleeve; what I can I do about the wrinkling in the back of the jacket and pants?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

10. Despos

MrTransistor, doesn't look like that is the right size for you, it's too big

11. lawstudent2012

lawstudent2012 New Member

Hi!

I just tried this suit jacket on; it was a 54. I'm usually a 56. It was pretty snug (especially around the arms) but I liked the way it fit in the middle area... It was suggested that I go with the 56. I don't have a pic of the 56, but would love your comments on the fit of the 54 pictured below, if the pic is detailed enough for that.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

12. MrTransistor

MrTransistor Member

@Despos - I'm a really skinny guy! I measured a 36.5 chest / 30.5 waist, and was advised to get a 38R. Should I go 36R instead? (It feels like I have about 0.5-0.75" extra shoulder padding on each side.)

13. Despos

MrTransistor, yes, try 36. The trouser will look and fit better too

14. MrTransistor

MrTransistor Member

Thank you for expert eye, sir.

15. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

first of all the coat is about 1 & 1/2 inches too short.
    its far too tight and needs to be let out on each side
    providing there is cloth available.
    as to your considerations,
    #1 no
    #2 no
    #3 yes
    #4 no

16. harryx2

harryx2 Senior member

Hi all! What do you think about this blazer? Is the shoulder somewhat odd looking?
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Any help with the below? Thanks! The more I look at the pics, I actually think the ideal shoulder measurement for me might be somewhere in between the trial suit jacket and the RLPL jacket.

18. Despos

Beatlegeuse,
    The sample jacket looks too skimpy everywhere, especially compared with the RL jacket. Balance and overall fit is better with the RL with the exception of the collar. The sample jacket hugs your neck better and fits higher in the back which is better. That is the only area where the sample jacket fit is better. Sample jacket has a short front balance and the length is too short.

It is tricky to measure from jackets cut on different patterns and try to meld the two. What are the shoulder width and point to point measurements of both?

19. Despos

Not the best photo to form an opinion from but the shoulder looks fine unless you want a softer, non padded shoulder.

What really matters is how it looks on you and what you prefer but you said this isn't you in the photo.

20. harryx2

harryx2 Senior member

Thanks for the feedback! So it is just a matter of taste and not a matter of the form not being right? Appreciate your input.