• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

allaboutshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The jacket is very stylized and glad you are not using this for business. The look is very unconventional.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Compare the look you have with other double breasted models. Just look for other examples of double breasted jackets. What you have is very "fashionable" and that distinguishes it from classic double breasted models making it less appropriate for a conservative suit for business.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
allaboutshoes -
I know this is a tailor's thread, but since you're asking about style stuff and you seem to want an opinion, personally I'm not a fan at all. The extremely high buttons means that there's virtually no space above the jacket, which looks weird, and the square of the buttons in the middle to me just makes you look like a robot or something.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I'm aware that this is for suits, but I just received my first MTM shirt from proper cloth and need expert advice on what needs to be done to make it fit perfectly. I am rather irregularly sized, so MTM has been my only option as I prepare for interviews and the workforce.

I have photos of the shirt both tucked and untucked as I plan in the future to order some oxfords to wear untucked.

I am sorry for the poor photo quality, as although I own a DSLR it does not, along with anything of value, reside in my college dorm. Let me know if better pictures or more angles are required and I will do my best.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Obergaiman

Reaction score
I think it is there to satisfy his symmetry obsession. Two not one because one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do, two can be as bad as one, It's the loneliest number since the number one.

I laughed out loud, Despos. Filter FTW.

Seriously, though, all this is very educational. Trying to get my head around most of the terms. Must do serious homework. Thank you to all the tailors for your free advice and consultation.

Last edited:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

allaboutshoes -
I know this is a tailor's thread, but since you're asking about style stuff and you seem to want an opinion, personally I'm not a fan at all. The extremely high buttons means that there's virtually no space above the jacket, which looks weird, and the square of the buttons in the middle to me just makes you look like a robot or something.

I would have probably worded it differently, but agree with the essence here.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
allaboutshoes -

I would have probably worded it differently, but agree with the essence here.

Choosing the correct words was definitely the issue here

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi and thank you in advance for comments.
I have this suit that I bought off the rack and had the sleeves altered. Tried it on today and noticed the sleeves are way out of whack (one is noticeably shorter than the other). After looking in the mirror a bit I see quite a few things relating to fit that I don't like;
Why are the pants bunching up in the back? Perhaps I should have take a photo of the seat without the jacket but they aren't tight anywhere.
The jacket fits in the shoulders. I tried one size down and it seemed to fit better everywhere with the exception of the shoulders. I think the sides need to be taken in and the length shortened. Why do the shoulders and sleeves ripple like that? Do the sleeves need to be tapered?
Any and all constructive comments will be greatly appreciated.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For business? Is it an ok style to wear otherwise?

Since I don't have a professional reputation as a tailor to maintain, I'm going to be more blunt than them in regards to your suit.

It's very catered towards the current "fashion," which I don't like personally. I'm hoping jackets return to normal length and wider lapels. It has very thin lapels, high buttons, only 4 buttons, slanted and jetted (is that the correct name) pockets, and is short. All of these are unconventional and not classic for a style of jacket that is mostly known for being classic. I think DBs need wider than standard lapels to begin with, can be 4 button but most often 6 button, lower buttons, standard flap pockets, and longer in length. I think the biggest issue are the lapels and button height/length of jacket (correlated).

Last edited:

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry
i know i need better quality pics but let me at least get some initial feedback

rps20110914_155927.jpg
rps20110927_143407.jpg

trying to figure out why the suit on the right has a "flaring" or "bell shape" at the bottom
(do you think the suit on the left is fine? or even that one is showing some of the same problem?)

what i am suspecting
the suit on the left is single center vented
the suit on the right is double vented

here are some other pictures to give you.. a better picture
of my proportions
rps20110914_155625.jpg
rps20110927_143339.jpg

bbbackslimmedpants.jpg

i do have a big butt relative to the rest of my body... do you think my hips are too wide?

but is it ultimately a problem in the cut of the suit jacket?
or is it just that i have some big wide child bearing hips and nothing can be done about it?

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The skirt of the jacket is flared and this can be deliberate or an affect of cutting technique to help define the waist. I do a little of this on my own jackets because my waist and chest measure the same. I have 0 drop. I don't care for the look as much as used to so don't cut this way as much. This is a stylistic element and not at all a flaw but is perceived to be extreme by SF standards.
If the jacket was unbuttoned the reason for the flare would be easier to assess.

This is the effect of a crooked coat. The collar/shoulder shifts closer to the neck and the skirt of the jacket shoots out. Think of the fronts as a plane. Shift the top towards the neck and the bottom shifts in the opposite direction. Could also be caused by long fronts. Could have occurred from altering/shaping the waist but not the hip area. Would only know if a before and after the alteration view were available. Can be a design element of the pattern to have a flared skirt. I associate this loosely with English styling.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The skirt of the jacket is flared and this can be deliberate or an affect of cutting technique to help define the waist. I do a little of this on my own jackets because my waist and chest measure the same. I have 0 drop. I don't care for the look as much as used to so don't cut this way as much. This is a stylistic element and not at all a flaw but is perceived to be extreme by SF standards.
If the jacket was unbuttoned the reason for the flare would be easier to assess.
This is the effect of a crooked coat. The collar/shoulder shifts closer to the neck and the skirt of the jacket shoots out. Think of the fronts as a plane. Shift the top towards the neck and the bottom shifts in the opposite direction. Could also be caused by long fronts. Could have occurred from altering/shaping the waist but not the hip area. Would only know if a before and after the alteration view were available. Can be a design element of the pattern to have a flared skirt. I associate this loosely with English styling.

do you see a problem in the left suit? or just in the right?
left is a RTW hugo boss
right is a custom made suit for me ... so it's not something that an alteration caused but rather something in the design
and again the left is single center vent and right is double side vented

so in your view, it's not necessarily a problem?
i would prefer not to have the flaring/bell shape ... wondering if i should just take it to a local tailor for alteration
would it require a lot of work to adjust?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads