The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. jgonzalez

jgonzalez Member

Thank you very much Despos. I still I can not believe this forum, where people are not rude and help others without an ulterior motive.

Yes, I had one basted fitting.

I will ask the tailor to make the alterations your recommend and I'll post new pictures to ask for additional feedback from you, if you don't mind.

2. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Jacket probably looks better in person than photos. Jacket doesn't need much to improve a few things.

3. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

sorry about the delay will. was busy.
    the new picture shows the jacket needs about 1" more length at the bottom.
    picture #3 shows humping up of cloth below the collar. that condition needs shortening
    just enough to clear the up the area. check the erect balance tutorial.
    the sleeves, about 3/4 more on the left. about 1 and 1/4 more on the right.

4. hpk1

hpk1 Member

I just got this suit back from being pressed. It's my first attempt at MTM. Any suggestions on alterations? My main complaint is that the shoulders of the jacket are too far "back" -- it feels like my shoulders are shoved into the front of the arms, if that makes any sense. The sideways shots show this the most.

Oh, and please ignore the fact that I need a shave, a haircut, and that I need to finish wiring my thermostat :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jimney

jimney Senior member

Hello! So I got an online made-to-measure shirt in the mail just not after my first round of alterations. My problem is that I feel like it fits really well in every aspect except the back, and I'm not sure how to solve this. I can return it for alterations for free (though that comes with an 8 week waiting period), but I don't know exactly what alterations could be made that help the problem without making it fit worse in other aspects. I'd really appreciate any help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I've posted this in the WAYWRN thread today. I believe this jacket does a great job at hiding my pear shape (trust me, even if I still look like a pear with it, it's hiding huge hips). But I'm wondering if there's something else I can do to de-emphasize the pear shape even more with future purchases. I guess lower button stance would help, but do you think the shoulders could be extended half an inch or so? and is the lapel width OK as is?

Thanks a lot!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I've posted this jacket a few pages back in this thread already, and it happens to fit much better now that I've dropped a few more pounds.
    Dent in right shoulder is caused by sleeve pitch not being right (if I move my arms forward it looks right) but this is RTW after all..

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

7. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

The jacket is fine. It's RTW you cannot change lapel or shoulder width or button position. Stick with the brand, it works for you. The dent has nothing to do with sleeve pitch, Jefferyd and I have explained this in other threads.

8. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Oh, I meant if I were to get MTM garments, is it possible to de-emphasize pear shape further with some changes?
    If I remember correctly, was the dent then caused by armhole shape not being cut for the shape of the wearer?
    Thanks a lot for the feedback :) If I get new RTW jackets I'll stick with this brand, cut and size.

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Despos, would a lower button deemphasize the perceived width of the hips?

RDiaz, I think I see some extra fullness in the trousers just below the hip that doesn't appear to be your actual shape. If that's true, that would help reduce the hippy-ness.

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Despos, would a lower button and less shaping at the waist deemphasize the perceived width of the hips?

RDiaz, I think I see some extra fullness in the trousers just below the hip that doesn't appear to be your actual shape. If that's true, that would help reduce the hippy-ness.

11. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I usually get my pants a bit full so they drape in a straighter line, otherwise they taper too much from hips to knee and I don't like that look, it is a bit feminine IMO. I've tried narrower pants and they just don't look right. I guess it's because my wide "hips" are not really hips, but love handles that sit pretty low. Wearing the waistband below them is not an option really, that would be really low... Anyways the right leg is not hanging the way it should in that picture, it should drape more cleanly like the left leg... Probably the hem got caught in the shoe :)

12. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

rdiaz
    picture please.

also check the tutorials for a high hip.

13. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

Quick question for you guys over here I'm usually in swd , I bought a Margiela jacket recently and the shoulders are a bit too padded for my tastes is there anyway to remove or reduce padding without ruining a jacket? Also where can I find a good tailor in boulder/denver I don't trust my usual guy for this job. Here are some pictures if it helps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Hey guys - just picked up a smaller Corneliani jacket based off of measurements. Obviously the sleeves are too short and I think they can be let out but what do you think of the overall size of the jacket - any other comments?

[​IMG]

EDIT: The jacket is unstructured, almost no padding on the shoulders and is only half lined up top.

15. rs232

rs232 Senior member

Chris, I'd be grateful for any initial impressions of this first baste. I've got big, big inlays everywhere (3-4cm). Center and waist lines are marked on fronts. Back is pinned in the middle to try to take away some of what I believe is excess.

I know everyone says sorry for the crap pics, but I really am. It's charcoal flannel, and the best-lit room in the house while it buckets down outside. I'll try to take better ones tomorrow.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking of taking the back in a bit, and shortening it where the rectangle is because I believe it is long in the body? I've illustrated the front as per the draft, and intend to lower the gorge a little so that the peaks don't protrude over the shoulder. Is the button stance OK as is?

[​IMG]

Pity the C&T forum is down again ... seems I can't get my hands on a single dns server that can resolve the url.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012