• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Angel91

Reaction score
I would say your tailor is probably right here. At first, it looked about the right length (from a classical perspective), but then I realised that you are wearing your jeans quite low.

Another thing is that I can see the tailor's pin. And, the patch pocket will be much too close to the bottom of the jacket; it would look almost comical. I suggest that it be sent back.

Thanks! I sent it back long ago, it was right. Then I found some other brands that offer short versions. It was such a good deal that I didn’t want to believe what the tailor told me!

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh wise one @Despos , is it possible to remove patch pockets on a jacket and make them smaller? Jacket is made with Fox Air no pattern. Also to make the pockets sit higher because it's 1cm from the bottom of the jacket.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh wise one @Despos , is it possible to remove patch pockets on a jacket and make them smaller? Jacket is made with Fox Air no pattern. Also to make the pockets sit higher because it's 1cm from the bottom of the jacket.
Can be done without issue.
Do you want it moved upward only or changing the size of the pocket too?
It's much harder to do after the jacket is finished. Patch pockets are put on the fronts before the front is basted to the canvass. You have cramped access now because the canvass and lining are there. Have to separate the canvass layer when sewing the pocket on. Easier if your tailor is applying the patch pocket by hand than by machine.
If your tailor is experienced they should know to sew the pocket on with the body in a curving position, same as the jacket is shaped when wrapping around your body. If they don't, you get puckers and fullness in the cloth along the pocket opening because the pocket is shorter than the cloth as it curves around your body.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello guys, I’d like to know to know what you guys think of this blazer. It’s a Hackett 40regular, my problem is normally the length but this doesn’t seem too long. It’s vbc flannel, a bit stretchy. You guys think I could get it tailored or it’s not worth it?
Can't tell about the jacket length but your trouser is too short. Trouser length should rest on your shoe with a slight break. Would be easier to judge if the trouser length is right.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I’d like to know to know what you guys think of this blazer. It’s a Hackett 40regular, my problem is normally the length but this doesn’t seem too long. It’s vbc flannel, a bit stretchy. You guys think I could get it tailored or it’s not worth it?
What blazer?

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can be done without issue.
Do you want it moved upward only or changing the size of the pocket too?
It's much harder to do after the jacket is finished. Patch pockets are put on the fronts before the front is basted to the canvass. You have cramped access now because the canvass and lining are there. Have to separate the canvass layer when sewing the pocket on. Easier if your tailor is applying the patch pocket by hand than by machine.
If your tailor is experienced they should know to sew the pocket on with the body in a curving position, same as the jacket is shaped when wrapping around your body. If they don't, you get puckers and fullness in the cloth along the pocket opening because the pocket is shorter than the cloth as it curves around your body.
Thank you for the advice. Yes it's a finished jacket. Need to move up and cut smaller. Let's see how much Sam Wazin can do for me. Over the phone he said it can't be done. :dozingoff:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. Yes it's a finished jacket. Need to move up and cut smaller. Let's see how much Sam Wazin can do for me. Over the phone he said it can't be done. :dozingoff:
Can't be done or sometimes it's don't want to do it. If he's an alteration shop they may be uncomfortable doing it.
I've done it in the past when shortening a jacket. Had to move the pockets up to look the same as before shortening it.
Was the jacket made for you? If so can the maker do it?

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't be done or sometimes it's don't want to do it. If he's an alteration shop they may be uncomfortable doing it.
I've done it in the past when shortening a jacket. Had to move the pockets up to look the same as before shortening it.
Was the jacket made for you? If so can the maker do it?
It was made by Frank S. :nest: he's rigid with his placements...

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes. So easy job right?
It's easier if this is something you do regularly. If you never make a garment or patch pockets it takes you longer because it's new to you. You know, first time takes longer and the more repetition you do, you get faster and the task gets easier.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Is it straightforward to have have some trousers taken in along a seam that looks like this (is it lapped seam?).

This is the outseam and I want to have them taken in to reduce the hips/seat dimensions.

EF600F03-4EE2-4554-8098-510185A3598C.jpeg

blewnote1

Reaction score
Just a quick question for those with more knowledge about the art of tailoring than I have.

I just bought a nice Spier Mackay sportcoat and took it to a well recommended tailor to have the sleeves shortened. When I picked it up today it seemed a little off, and when I took a further look at it at home it appears that one sleeve is about an inch longer than the other. And they removed the sleeve vents and the stitching under the buttons that make them look like buttonholes.

Is it normal to have to remove the sleeve vents and "buttonholes" when shortening jacket sleeves (and not remake them)? And is it common to not get the length right on the first try? As I said, I mentioned that the sleeves looked a little off when I picked it up and he told me it was normal. I'm guessing these are signs that I need to go to a different tailor, but wanted some advice from people with more knowledge than me. Thanks in advance!

papado

Reaction score
Just a quick question for those with more knowledge about the art of tailoring than I have.

I just bought a nice Spier Mackay sportcoat and took it to a well recommended tailor to have the sleeves shortened. When I picked it up today it seemed a little off, and when I took a further look at it at home it appears that one sleeve is about an inch longer than the other. And they removed the sleeve vents and the stitching under the buttons that make them look like buttonholes.

Is it normal to have to remove the sleeve vents and "buttonholes" when shortening jacket sleeves (and not remake them)? And is it common to not get the length right on the first try? As I said, I mentioned that the sleeves looked a little off when I picked it up and he told me it was normal. I'm guessing these are signs that I need to go to a different tailor, but wanted some advice from people with more knowledge than me. Thanks in advance!

Do you have photos? There's no reason for the vents to be sewn shut once you've shortened the sleeves. They can be different lengths assuming your arms are different lengths--you should judge by seeing how much shirt sleeve is visible on each arm. Tailors will measure from the bottom of your thumb to the shirt sleeve to have an accurate measure on both sides.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads