The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

Got this suit on clearance. Looking for some help on alterations before I take it to my tailor. I had store credit so I can only get this or something similar. I love the fabric and the shoulders feel ok. Thoughts master tailors? I appreciate it. Sorry I could not get a side view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. themaninasuit

themaninasuit Member

Working with tailors who do this sort of alteration, it does require quite a bit of skill, but is definitly doable, just ensure you go to a reputable tailor that has been recommended to you or call some stores who sell jackets with functioning buttons, like Zegna or Canali, and see who they use or recommend.
    Hope this helps

3. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Overall this jacket is too big on you, especially the shoulders and the jacket seems too long. The waist was taken in but not shaped well, The waist position is too low. Reshape the waist line and have the blades and back reduced all the way up to the shoulder, unless you can get a closer size that fits you better. Your call if you want to shorten the jacket. Doing so would improve the look but run up the cost.

4. Despos

Agree with what you already have said about the fit. Cannot see much from these dark pictures. Your posture is very erect and the cause of certain fit issues that will occur with any suit. Sounds like your main concern about styling is to find a silhouette you like. You have to get somewhere where you can find more brands to try on and find the cut with the look you want.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

5. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Dear Gents,

How do the shoulders look? Tad wide, too wide, or decent? Jacket is OTR, nothing special but just want to get the details right before splurging.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you

6. Despos

They don't look wide . Low right shoulder

7. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Thanks Despos, I took it into consideration the last time you pointed it out and i had the sleeves proportionally shortened.

Appreciate the response, I guess if I do decide to order the same jacket, a size down would probably be too tight in the shoulders.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

8. Despos

Why do you want to go a size smaller? Would help to see the side and back to see how close the fit is.
    Shoulders sometimes only change 1/8" or 1/4' per size, not a significant amount. The button position isn't working on this jacket. Would lower top button 1 1/4" and the lower button by 3/4". Sleeves don'y look like they have any shape but only have a front view.

9. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Edit:

Regarding the button position, I have asked my tailor and he said it was fine (different POV), but since you did give me measurements of height, is it a difficult process to have the button stance altered? Will it take away from the integrity of the jacket in terms of shape? (I should follow up with better photos now)

I've posted the entire suit countless times. Was just having second doubts and wanted some reconfirmation, and didn't want to be redundant with the same questions

I agree the jacket in the photo looks pretty lifeless. I threw it on on while in shorts and a basketball jersey.
    It was a first suit that I had altered, which the following two are in better "shape"

I agree the button stance is a problem but cannot be helped w/ this specific OTR suit. Will splurge when it is more appropriate and I see myself wearing suits more often (Though the opposite argument can be true seeing how I could've bought one nice suit and wear it every so often) :p

Thanks again (Will put up better photos in the future)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

10. LJubel328

LJubel328 Senior member

Just got this back form the tailor, had the length shortened but still seems a tad long to me...

Critique please
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for horrible pictures, this was after a days wear

11. bnovc

bnovc Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to get some critique on another suit I tried on in a store (hard to take pictures in a changing room mirror, sorry).

I think this looks terrible on me from the front, but I'm not sure why. This shirt seemed too large, and the pants were too large. I think from the side this is pretty good because the lapels are laying flat.

I believe the shirt is a tad too long, but I think the jacket is too short on the sleeves. This is a 36R.

Is it abnormal to have the PS opening on the right side? It seems like I normally see it on the left.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

You mean the breast pocket? It is normally on the left; it also looks like it's on the left on the pictured suit, considering you're taking the pictures in a mirror...

13. Stilig

Stilig Well-Known Member

Do the gods of tailoring offer any advice on my summer suit?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it looks alright in the first picture, but the second one really does look a bit sloppy.

My personal thoughts are that I should perhaps get it taken in at the waist and possibly the legs as well.

Any ideas? I'm a young man, so a rather tight fit is preferable for me to actually look 21 and not 41.

14. erutha95

erutha95 Member

Hi everybody,

So I just picked up a BB Fitzgerald suit, and I wanted to make sure there isn't anything glaringly wrong with the fit before I commit to keeping it and get it tailored. To my eye, it looks pretty good, but I figured it would be a good idea to ask for the opinion of some people who know better. If it's hard to tell, these pants aren't the suit pants so don't worry that they don't quite match.

Pics:

http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1627003/width/350/height/658

http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1627006/width/350/height/482

http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1627007/width/338/height/700

http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1627008/width/350/height/633

It seems to me that the shoulder fit is spot on, the midsection may be just a touch tight (especially with a dress shirt rather than a t-shirt on), and obviously the vent wants to open up but can't because it's still sewed shut.

I plan on taking this to Mr. Field in DC to be altered. I haven't really dealt with a really good tailor before, so I have one question: if I just take the suit to him and say, "Make it fit, please," is that appropriate and would he know just what to do? I certainly don't know whether one sleeve is a quarter inch too long, etc

Also, I would use this suit to interview for positions in a relatively conservative industry. Is it too light a shade of gray for fall/early winter interviews? I know charcoal or navy is preferred, but I think this could be fine with a conservative shirt and tie and black shoes, and may go a little better with my complexion than darker colors.

Thanks for your help!