The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

Any input on how to make these two suits jacket flow and drape better would be wonderful. sorry for the meh picture. I appreciate any honest feedback! You all do a wonderful service for us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

2. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

To me, this one looks like the waist is too high and messes with the proportions. It's like you're bottled up, ready to explode out the top. Maybe let a little out where the waist is now (even to the top button) and slim just a bit near the pockets. This would lower and elongate the taper in the middle. I'm no expert though, just my off the cuff reaction.

3. irgator04

irgator04 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Some more pictures of the jacket, please ignore the pants, but they do help see the jacket better. Please give me some feedback. I have very broad shoulders so I had to go with a 44R, like I said before it feels good at the shoulders, back and chest. But I feel that at the waist I have way too much material. Thanks for the help.

4. jakeld

jakeld Member

Hi. First post here :)

I got this suit that in my opinion has gotten too small for me. I bought it from Modern tailor close to a year ago. Back then it fit me a bit looser, but very much was off because of measurements up to 1.5" too small or too big made by Modern tailor. Anyways I started working out and now it is getting tighter and basically look like a skinny suit bit lots of creases due to the tightness.

So my question is; is there anything a tailor could do to make this suit a bit bigger/looser?

I apologize for the bad quality pictures.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

What I want to fix:
    - Jacket looser in the waist
    - Jacket longer
    - Sleeves looser
    - Pants looser overall

Does anybody know what makes the pockets on the pants to poke out like they do? Too tight?

I would appreciate some help :)

5. jakeld

jakeld Member

Hi. First post here :)

I got this suit that in my opinion has gotten too small for me. I bought it from Modern tailor close to a year ago. Back then it fit me a bit looser, but very much was off because of measurements up to 1.5" too small or too big made by Modern tailor. Anyways I started working out and now it is getting tighter and basically look like a skinny suit bit lots of creases due to the tightness.

So my question is; is there anything a tailor could do to make this suit a bit bigger/looser?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. thomaspaine

thomaspaine Senior member

Thanks for the tip. It sounds like you're saying to go with a natural shoulder? That's what I did when I had my MTM suit made, but it's confusing because I keep reading that someone like me should want MORE shoulder padding: http://www.styleforum.net/t/245858/shoulder-expression/30#post_4513238

7. Santiago1961

Santiago1961 New Member

Hey The_Foxx-

There seems to have been a movement amongst men's magazines and morning shows, that the suit-buying-public-at-large needs to march to the beat of the "proverbial" same drummer. I submit that we need to first see the shoes you intend to wear with this suit as this is a major deciding factor in how you might like the pants to hang. Do you want the bankers version of the trouser bottom, i.e. the bottoms of the pants just kissing the tops of the shoes or the classic break in the pants that tailors insist most men must have. Narrow your trousers but, beware that if you cycle during the summer months and your thighs and legs bulge the slimmed legs may be difficult to get into and may look odd. I am attaching a advert photo of vintage shoes and pants bottoms APPAREL ARTS [​IMG]

8. themaninasuit

themaninasuit Member

Ok, as an alteration tailor there is a bit that can be done but it depends on whats left in the seams. Usually on any made to order garment there is quite a bit in the seams that can be let out, usually up to 1.5" on ajacket through the waist and up to the armhole which will help. With the trousers I would be very suprised if there is not enough to let the waist and seat out enough to make it comfortable. However the thighs is a different question, you will need to see if there is any allowance to release the garment around here. if there is anything in the fork that can be let out, but has the effect of making the rise slightly longer, but in your case that may be a good thing. One last thing I would suggest doing is lifting the nape slightly, not because you have square shoulders but the jacket is too long in the back for you so this is a cheats way of shortening the back balance a bit. it wont solve all of the problem but some creasing at the back. i may get torched for that comment, but in practice I have found it works quite well. Your best option is to find a quality alteration tailor near you, the members of this forum should be able to recommend one, and get their opinion.
    Hope this helps

9. Nikias

Nikias Active Member

I recently bought this Aquascutum suit on sale over the Internet and was wondering whether it was worth tailoring and keeping. I like the suit and its cut for what I paid, so I would prefer altering and keeping rather than returning if it can be done reasonably.

I normally wear a 36R and this suit is a 38R, but it is in the 'Pritchard' cut, which is fairly slim and short. I tried another jacket in the same cut in a department store and the 36R was far too short and slim for me, so I think I am starting from the right approximate size with the 38.

I am around 5'8" to 5'9" on a good day and weigh about 154 pounds. I am starting work in a London corporate law firm in September, so I do want a fairly conservative suit with British styling and sensibilities.

The suit itself measures 17.25" shoulder seam to shoulder seam, 20.5" underarm to underarm, and is 29.75" in length excluding the collar.

My observations would be that the unhemmed trousers need hemming and the sleeves taking up a notch. They are, unfortunately, working (except for the outermost button, bizarrely, which has a button but no button hole). I also thought there might be a little that could be taken out in the back.

I would greatly appreciate any advice from the more experienced members on here, particularly those tailors who kindly post on this thread.

Full suit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Without the jacket:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With some odd trousers for contrast:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

10. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

the shoulders are pretty good, dont worry. the sides need to be taken in, and the sleeves shortened.
    the bottom of the jacket is about an inch too long.

11. a tailor

these pictures dont help. can you have a friend take them?

12. a tailor

two votes to one, say its ok.

13. a tailor

that was meant for champ 49er.

14. Nikias

Nikias Active Member

On that note, are the pictures I posted clear enough to help? I wasn't sure whether the reason I received no response was the quality of the photos or just that people have busy lives!

15. a tailor

although the photos are a bit fuzzy it seems that the jacket is about 3/4 of an inch too long.
    go ahead and shorten the sleeves, and omit that bottom button.
    unless the tailor can match the buttonholes,and add one at the top.
    there is no rule about the number of buttons.
    the sides can be taken in. for more info on that see the tutorials "taking in jackets".
    trousers look ok.