• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

StartingStyle

Reaction score
Hello, I think this will be the right place for my question. I got my first order from Luxire and I have to dial in some changes. Nevertheless I wanted to ask some experts besides Luxire what to change. My stats for reference 182cm , 78kg.

Maybe some of you could help me out as I’m not an expert on what to change. I think I need to widen the legs below the knee to the foot width. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 88B3C7E8-92FF-4554-91D6-78A84BD8B26D.jpeg
    88B3C7E8-92FF-4554-91D6-78A84BD8B26D.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 46805F67-98FB-4AD4-AF12-7A031BBD911C.jpeg
    46805F67-98FB-4AD4-AF12-7A031BBD911C.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 23EFE218-B49A-4AA9-A2C6-AB91E83636E9.jpeg
    23EFE218-B49A-4AA9-A2C6-AB91E83636E9.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 78EFBD55-96B9-4B3D-B45E-2A96A2B98B53.jpeg
    78EFBD55-96B9-4B3D-B45E-2A96A2B98B53.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 127
  • 6B4F72A9-5451-4A23-BD7B-5CCE37727FA6.jpeg
    6B4F72A9-5451-4A23-BD7B-5CCE37727FA6.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 128

Gusgt

Reaction score
Hello, I think this will be the right place for my question. I got my first order from Luxire and I have to dial in some changes. Nevertheless I wanted to ask some experts besides Luxire what to change. My stats for reference 182cm , 78kg.

Maybe some of you could help me out as I’m not an expert on what to change. I think I need to widen the legs below the knee to the foot width. Thanks in advance

Hi there!
I’m not a tailor, but I have gone through several iterations of pants via Luxire.

Firstly, keep in mind that cotton won’t drape very well regardless.
Yes, you’r right about the leg opening - could definately be wider. This will make the pant drape better over your calfs and the balance will overall be better.

Your main issue as I see it, is the fit around the seat. You need more room here. Not necessarily horizontaly, but vertically. I’d say decrease the inseam at crotch (dropping the point were all the seams meet bellow your body at crotch) and increase back rise at crotch. I’m sure Luxire will tell you this aswell. Maybe scoop the seat a bit aswell.
Unfortunately, the seat fit is the hardest to get right, and count on making another couple of pants before you’ll see really good resultat there.
The front looks good. Pleats sit nicely.
Good luck!

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
I recently took delivery of a sport coat from John Di Pietro, a local tailor whom I have begun working with. I'm very pleased with how it feels when I wear it and am largely satisfied with its styling, but having worn it more, I've noticed some wrinkling at the right shoulder and perhaps some at the left suggesting a possible need of further work.

I'll be visiting Mr. Di Pietro next Wednesday afternoon for some waistcoats and intend to address the matter with him then, but I'd like to have some more informed, disinterested advice so that I can do so sensibly.

Taupe Odd Jacket Fit Full Chest.JPG

That I'm holding my iPhone up in front of me might make this unhelpful, but it might at least be taken as context. (Yes, that's a miniature pineapple on my lapel, you see I was... … I'm just weird, okay?)

Taupe Odd Jacket Fit Left Shoulder.JPG

This is my left shoulder; if one looks between the pocket square and seem where the sleeve joins the body, a slight bulge and accompany dip are visible. This might be normal, but I'm not quite well enough acquainted with how a suit should look while worn to judge.

Taupe Odd Jacket Fit Right Shoulder.JPG

This is my right shoulder, where I'm more confident that there is a problem. There's a rather deep wrinkle from near where the bottom of the sleeve joins the shoulder toward the lapel. I think that this might owe to my having a low right shoulder, which Mr. Di Pietro noted when fitting my waistcoats. This seems corroborated by the fact that I can mitigate the deformation if I force my shoulder up and back; this is true for the left shoulder as well, but it takes a much smaller movement to accomplish it.

I would like to know if this is a genuine problem, its nature and if it is a correctable one. (I know that the shirt fits awkwardly; its an old internet made-to-measure piece that I fumbled around unaided measuring myself for; it is is slated for eventual replacement)

Last edited:

Sfroide3

Reaction score
lDVyb6.jpg
Ny97ov.jpg

Here is my first shirt from proper cloth. Sizing was done in the NYC showroom. Sleeves are too short. Is there anyway to reduce that sleeve twist ? Any other suggestion of changes before I contact them for a remake.

Thanks a lot for your help.

oscarman

Reaction score
Hi

I just picked up this MTM suit. Overall I think the fit was quite good, but I don't like the wrinkles below right shoulder. What do you think? Is worth going to tailor and see if they can fix it?

Many thanks

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
My nervous eagerness has overridden my ordinary sense of self-restraint and denial, so I'm going to supplement my request a few posts above for comment on the fit of my new taupe sport coat by John Di Pietro with further pictures, albeit lousy ones, taken from behind. I think that I detect some rippling that are consistent with a fault in the fit of the shoulders that I attributed the above issues to.

I'm mostly nervous that correction might require a serious alteration or might be impossible and that I might be missing something. If nothing else, I'd feel at ease
better
knowing what I'm talking about.

Taupe Sport Coat Robot.JPG

This is what I look like from behind when standing unrealistically still. (A tailor recently complimented me for my skill at standing still) My right shoulder shows the likeliest sign of necessary alteration, as it did above.

Taupe Sport Coat Raised.JPG

I think that I see slightly more distortion at right, again, with my arms raised, but this much movement seems to diminish the difference. The difference between sides in the rippling immediately next to where the sleeve meets the back seems potentially instructive.

Taupe Sport Coat Back Twist.JPG

I never actually run in real life.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recently took delivery of a sport coat from John Di Pietro, a local tailor whom I have begun working with. I'm very pleased with how it feels when I wear it and am largely satisfied with its styling, but having worn it more, I've noticed some wrinkling at the right shoulder and perhaps some at the left suggesting a possible need of further work.

I'll be visiting Mr. Di Pietro next Wednesday afternoon for some waistcoats and intend to address the matter with him then, but I'd like to have some more informed, disinterested advice so that I can do so sensibly.

View attachment 1221248

That I'm holding my iPhone up in front of me might make this unhelpful, but it might at least be taken as context. (Yes, that's a miniature pineapple on my lapel, you see I was... … I'm just weird, okay?)

View attachment 1221249

This is my left shoulder; if one looks between the pocket square and seem where the sleeve joins the body, a slight bulge and accompany dip are visible. This might be normal, but I'm not quite well enough acquainted with how a suit should look while worn to judge.

View attachment 1221250

This is my right shoulder, where I'm more confident that there is a problem. There's a rather deep wrinkle from near where the bottom of the sleeve joins the shoulder toward the lapel. I think that this might owe to my having a low right shoulder, which Mr. Di Pietro noted when fitting my waistcoats. This seems corroborated by the fact that I can mitigate the deformation if I force my shoulder up and back; this is true for the left shoulder as well, but it takes a much smaller movement to accomplish it.

I would like to know if this is a genuine problem, its nature and if it is a correctable one. (I know that the shirt fits awkwardly; its an old internet made-to-measure piece that I fumbled around unaided measuring myself for; it is is slated for eventual replacement)

Try to have someone take a pic(s) or retake pics with the pineapple, PS, etc. Just a plain pic without all the "stuff".

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lDVyb6.jpg
Ny97ov.jpg

Here is my first shirt from proper cloth. Sizing was done in the NYC showroom. Sleeves are too short. Is there anyway to reduce that sleeve twist ? Any other suggestion of changes before I contact them for a remake.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Sleeves are too SHORT? After ironing the shirt, they may be just right.

StartingStyle

Reaction score
Luxire told me the following things. Could you give me a statement whether these are the right changes or not.
From my perspective they addressed the right things.

Thanks in advance

Decrease waist 1" in circumference.
  • To clean the seat, Decrease inseam at crotch by 0.5" and adjust back rise accordingly.
  • To remove the break at the knee, Increase calf by 0.5" according to new pattern technique.

Attachments

• 97C0C599-1E39-4783-B5FB-00ED8567CB01.jpeg
    97C0C599-1E39-4783-B5FB-00ED8567CB01.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 54
  • BF5C58BB-A0F8-46E5-A676-C11B15F8F8F3.jpeg
    BF5C58BB-A0F8-46E5-A676-C11B15F8F8F3.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 7F0D813E-BE4A-46C1-B025-078899101B8E.jpeg
    7F0D813E-BE4A-46C1-B025-078899101B8E.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 55
  • 6C6D9852-8BD5-40BF-B2D1-1999B42AE6A9.jpeg
    6C6D9852-8BD5-40BF-B2D1-1999B42AE6A9.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 56

lngn2

Reaction score
Ca
My nervous eagerness has overridden my ordinary sense of self-restraint and denial, so I'm going to supplement my request a few posts above for comment on the fit of my new taupe sport coat by John Di Pietro with further pictures, albeit lousy ones, taken from behind. I think that I detect some rippling that are consistent with a fault in the fit of the shoulders that I attributed the above issues to.

I'm mostly nervous that correction might require a serious alteration or might be impossible and that I might be missing something. If nothing else, I'd feel at ease
better
knowing what I'm talking about.

View attachment 1224374

This is what I look like from behind when standing unrealistically still. (A tailor recently complimented me for my skill at standing still) My right shoulder shows the likeliest sign of necessary alteration, as it did above.

View attachment 1224373

I think that I see slightly more distortion at right, again, with my arms raised, but this much movement seems to diminish the difference. The difference between sides in the rippling immediately next to where the sleeve meets the back seems potentially instructive.

View attachment 1224372

I never actually run in real life.
One can't judge the fit based on photos of you pretending to run! Best post some full length (front and back) in decent lighting if you want helpful comments. My guess? 1. Shoulder angle is wrong 2. Excess around the armhole and chest which needs clearing.

lngn2

Reaction score
I have picked up a jacket that fits well across the shoulders point-to-point but is too snug through the body - all the way from armhole to vents - so will be let out by around 1/2" on each side seam. However, the other issue is that the lower front edges of the armholes cut into me. Is the adjustment to the side seams likely to help alleviate the tightness at the lower front of the armhole to any extent?

I have tried pinning other jackets along the side seams to make them smaller and it does to some degree replicate the tightness at the front of the armpit that I feel here. It does feel as though the tightness across the back is pulling the armhole back into my body, hence the tightness at the front. I don’t think the armholes are too small per se, but they do need to be allowed to shift forward a little to avoid cutting into me at the front of my armpits.

View attachment 1217625
I was discussing roughly the same issue during a fitting the other day - the resolution in that particular case was to scoop out a little at the front of the scye and to reduce the same at the forepart and side body seam so as to maintain the same overall size.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Armhole is cutting into,you when iy
I have picked up a jacket that fits well across the shoulders point-to-point but is too snug through the body - all the way from armhole to vents - so will be let out by around 1/2" on each side seam. However, the other issue is that the lower front edges of the armholes cut into me. Is the adjustment to the side seams likely to help alleviate the tightness at the lower front of the armhole to any extent?

I have tried pinning other jackets along the side seams to make them smaller and it does to some degree replicate the tightness at the front of the armpit that I feel here. It does feel as though the tightness across the back is pulling the armhole back into my body, hence the tightness at the front. I don’t think the armholes are too small per se, but they do need to be allowed to shift forward a little to avoid cutting into me at the front of my armpits.

View attachment 1217625
To relieve the feeling at the front of the armhole try lifting the jacket shoulder up, making the armhole higher. Pinch the shoulder and raise it until you don't feel the armhole touching. Another experiment is to take a straight pin and pin the center back seam .25" on each side of the seam, half inch total, just below where the under collar and the center back seam meet. You are pinning vertically, not horizontally along the center back seam, making the jacket narrower at that point. Try it on with the pin in place and see if it feels different. This changes the position where the armhole touches you and might help.
Let the side body out just below the armhole to allow the jacket/armhole to move forward. Don't reduce the front of the armhole. Suggesting the easiest and least costly adjustments.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Luxire told me the following things. Could you give me a statement whether these are the right changes or not.
From my perspective they addressed the right things.

Thanks in advance

Decrease waist 1" in circumference.
  • To clean the seat, Decrease inseam at crotch by 0.5" and adjust back rise accordingly.
  • To remove the break at the knee, Increase calf by 0.5" according to new pattern technique.
Suggestions are a waste of time. Picture shows a wedgie at lower seat. Let out the crotch 1" and deepen the lower curve of the seat a bit. They are saying to make the rise longer, this won't help enough. I would go 1" bigger at knee because it is easy to take in but not let out.
Hitting on your calf is a problem changing measurements won't help that much. The pattern is flawed. Sorry to be negative but trying to save you time, money and aggravation.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
Ca
One can't judge the fit based on photos of you pretending to run! Best post some full length (front and back) in decent lighting if you want helpful comments. My guess? 1. Shoulder angle is wrong 2. Excess around the armhole and chest which needs clearing.

Thank you and fair enough, I should have known better from the start and used my whole ass. I'm inclined, within my limits, to agree about assessment about excess around the chest as I can mitigate the rippling there by pulling toward inward from the lapel.

After I got home today, I tried to jerry-rig a better pair of images that I hope are better. (They at least demonstrate that I could do with a shave and trim)

Taupe Sport Coat Fit - Front.JPG

From the front

Taupe Sport Coat Fit - Rear.JPG

From the rear (I always had a slight sway in my rear-angle shots; I don't know why) I notice a very slight 'hump' on the right shoulder, which I've begun noticing a little lately now that I've been trying to scrutinize fits a little more closely.

txm22

Reaction score
So these are Luxire trousers that I recently ordered. I think I'm getting close to having my pattern down, but obviously, there are a few remaining issues. I will increase the hip measurement on my next order.

However, there is a problem with the way the trousers hang in the front that I can't quite identify, and is somewhat hard to capture in pictures. At the crotch, the inner thigh appears to have some pulling, which makes the trousers appear taut. I don't think I need more room in the thigh, and I'm not sure that increasing the hip measurement will release this tension, as it feels more like vertical pulling. Any advise for trouser adjustments would be appreciated.

IMG_20190815_185348~2.jpg

IMG_20190815_185348.jpg IMG_20190815_185507.jpg IMG_20190815_185551.jpg IMG_20190815_185216.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190815_185245.jpg
    IMG_20190815_185245.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20190815_185252~2.jpg
    IMG_20190815_185252~2.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20190815_185348~2.jpg
    IMG_20190815_185348~2.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20190815_185507.jpg
    IMG_20190815_185507.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20190815_185551.jpg
    IMG_20190815_185551.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads