• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

MTB-85

Reaction score
Hi fellas.

I am searching for my wedding suit, and this navy 3 piece Tiger of Sweden suit fits my body extremely well.. My question is whether or not it sits too tight on my arms. I am have bought a MTM ivory colored shirt with french cuffs for the occasion (not in the pictures), and I have a rather thick wristwatch on as well (the shirt i 1cm wider at the left wrist to make room for this).

The size is US:38 EU:48

I know my shoulderblades are pretty pronounced, and I can see that the vents at the bottom are not completely flat... Is the jacket simply too small??

Here is a picture from the company's website:

Since I haven't bought the suit yet this is not really an alteration, but I thought it would be best to start in this thread instead of creating a whole new "help me with my wedding outfit"-thread......

Any feedback is appreciated.
-- Morten

hsc181818

Reaction score
Any advice on altering the sleeve length of my cotton/chino blazer. My grad school has some really dumb graduation dress traditions, so I've decided to go balls out southern dandy white cotton blazer, seersucker tie, etc. I found a white/pale khaki blazer that was stupid cheap online, but the sleeves turned out to be ridiculously long:

I want to get the sleeves shortened, but it has working button holes. I'm not willing to pay what it would cost to shorten it from the shoulder (I'd rather just return the jacket), so I want to shorten from the end. I rolled up the jacket to a good length, but I'm worried this puts the buttons to close to the end:

Does that look weird?

Another question: I'm considering tapering the sleeves a little, but I think that will be more expensive than its worth. Ideally, I end up spending $40 maximum on alterations.

hsc181818

Reaction score
Any advice on altering the sleeve length of my cotton/chino blazer. My grad school has some really dumb graduation dress traditions, so I've decided to go balls out southern dandy white cotton blazer, seersucker tie, etc. I found a white/pale khaki blazer that was stupid cheap online, but the sleeves turned out to be ridiculously long:

I want to get the sleeves shortened, but it has working button holes. I'm not willing to pay what it would cost to shorten it from the shoulder (I'd rather just return the jacket), so I want to shorten from the end. I rolled up the jacket to a good length, but I'm worried this puts the buttons to close to the end:

Does that look weird?

Another question: I'm considering tapering the sleeves a little, but I think that will be more expensive than its worth. Ideally, I end up spending $40 maximum on alterations.

Reaction score
First of all, I just want to say thanks to a tailor, Despos, and jefferyd for all of your guys' feedback and input over the life of this thread. I've been reading through since the first page trying to build some visual awareness of what fits and what doesn't--this whole notion of properly fitted clothes is new to me and I have finally realized that I ought to get my clothes tailored.

Hopefully these photos make it easier to offer suggestions on what should be done to the blazer. I picked it up at a thrift store and thought the shoulders fit great, but I didn't realize how much the waist area comes out like that.

My apologies as I realize that I had the camera about stomach level and not at the requested chest/ribcage level. I'm not sure if that lends to the "slouch" look or if I really have a slouchy posture. Please do your best to ignore those pants. I had a feeling they weren't cut that well (Dockers D2 khakis) and in the photos they do not look flattering at all. Maybe ironing them would have eased the ugliness but that wouldn't fix how they sit on me.

My measurements, if they're helpful at all: 5'4", 34" chest, 30" waist, 130lbs. I took similar pictures with a few other sport coats but you're feedback on this one might address the rest of them without me having to post them.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi fellas.

I am searching for my wedding suit, and this navy 3 piece Tiger of Sweden suit fits my body extremely well.. My question is whether or not it sits too tight on my arms. I am have bought a MTM ivory colored shirt with french cuffs for the occasion (not in the pictures), and I have a rather thick wristwatch on as well (the shirt i 1cm wider at the left wrist to make room for this).

The size is US:38 EU:48

I know my shoulderblades are pretty pronounced, and I can see that the vents at the bottom are not completely flat... Is the jacket simply too small?? 

Here is a picture from the company's website:

Since I haven't bought the suit yet this is not really an alteration, but I thought it would be best to start in this thread instead of creating a whole new "help me with my wedding outfit"-thread......

Any feedback is appreciated.
 -- Morten

the angles of your poses are not helping . but yes the sleeves are too tight.
thats not allowing the cloth to hang naturally .
those rolls in back seem to be caused by the back being too tight.
cant see the side vents. then the seat just may be too tight.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Does that look weird?

are you sure the buttonholes are real? if they are false, then they may be removed.
and the sleeves shortened at the bottom. have your tailor check this.
only if the buttonholes are false then the sleeves may be tapered.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered before....

I have lost about 3 inches off my mid section since the Winter. As a result of that, the pants of my suits now feel like sail when I put them on.

I am just wondering if it is advisable to have the pants tailored to be trimmer and still keep the overall proportion.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have lost about 3 inches off my mid section since the Winter. As a result of that, the pants of my suits now feel like sail when I put them on.
I am just wondering if it is advisable to have the pants tailored to be trimmer and still keep the overall proportion.
Thank you.

Bringing the waist in at the seat simple is relatively simple, but 3 inches may not be possible in the seat seam only as it will bring the back pockets very close together, so you will probably need to get the alteration spread between the seat and side seams, and this is going to pull the side-seams towards the back if you only take fabric from the rear side of the side-seams (and taking fabric from the front of the side-seam would require completely reconstructing the pockets).

In other words, its possible but may not be cheap, depending on how 'correct' you want the result to look.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bringing the waist in at the seat simple is relatively simple, but 3 inches may not be possible in the seat seam only as it will bring the back pockets very close together, so you will probably need to get the alteration spread between the seat and side seams, and this is going to pull the side-seams towards the back if you only take fabric from the rear side of the side-seams (and taking fabric from the front of the side-seam would require completely reconstructing the pockets).
In other words, its possible but may not be cheap, depending on how 'correct' you want the result to look.

Thank you.

I should have been more specific...My primary concern is with respect to the legs from the thigh to the cuff.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you.
I should have been more specific...My primary concern is with respect to the legs from the thigh to the cuff.

If you've lost 3 inches off your midsection, are you asking about an adjustment to the waist or to the legs of the pants? It seems you'd want both? And he answered the part about the waist.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Depends how trim the leg is now. You may want to trim the leg as well. Reducing the waist 3" probably means the crotch will need to be taken in and that will narrow the thigh area .

ewc

Reaction score
I'm planning a second MTM order and would appreciate your thoughts on the first attempt (the trousers look especially odd to my eye). Presented with thanks and without further comment:

(Slightly higher res album)

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thank you.

Thank you.

three inches is a good deal to be taken in. but you do you do not tell us how much needs to be taken in around the seat measure.
for more information go to the tutorials, click on trouser alterations.

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random question, about how much fabric do I need for a double vented, 3 button, functional lapel hacking jacket in a 38 regular?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics