1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Aloysius16

Aloysius16 Senior Member

Trouser trouble...

I had some trousers made recently which are a good fit, in no way tight, when I stand upright but are uncomfortable when I sit. I have had the crotch let out which has slightly reduced the tightness in that area when seated but the main problem seems to be tightness across the seat. When I go to sit it feels like the trousers will split along the centre back seam around the height of the back pocket openings. The waistband digs in at the front and gapes at the back.

Is there anything I can do about this? If I let the seat out along the centre back seam the seat will just look baggy when I am standing. Or is the problem really about the angle/shape of the seat seam curve? In which case is this something that cannot be altered at all (only at the cutting stage)? I have a flat seat and the trousers were cut quite straight as a result - perhaps too straight.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019

2. Ezio

Ezio Senior Member

3. gianm

gianm Senior Member

Sure is!

4. SchachMundialECapital

SchachMundialECapital Senior Member

Not even close to being too long in the body. I am not sure which fit you prefer, but the only thing too long on that jacket are the sleeves.

5. sebflynn

sebflynn Well-Known Member

It looks long enough in the rear but a hair too long for his arms, probably just slightly off proportion arms.

6. bobilishious

bobilishious New Member

Hi All,

I was just wondering if someone might be able to help diagnose a fit problem from a very poor image (for which i apologise). Attached is an image of a jacket which seems to fit well in the front but terribly in the back and i was wondering what generally causes the pooling under the arm like that (and the vents look terrible!). It's a short style jacket which i don't think it helping. IMG_4774.jpg IMG_4772.jpg

Any input at all would be appreciated.