The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's not easy finding choices in your size and then options for a better fit. Anytime you are able to stop in a mens store try on anything you can find in 36S. Once you find the cut/brand that fits you best you can keep an eye out for better prices.

When I am in stores I try on different brands for fun. Brioni is the best fit for me and would require the least adjusting if I was buying RTW. They are the only maker that has the right balance for my posture. Point is, every suit will fit you differently, keep looking for what works for you then stick with it.

2. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Return the best and have them make you a knew one. They probably won't try to charge you for it.

3. 2Scoops

2Scoops Senior member

I went with the Rugby model. No on the shorter.

4. jigz23

jigz23 Member

Hi all, fairly new to the forum and I had a few questions. I'm looking to get a MTM suit made and although I think I have my measurements down, I had a few worries on posture and shoulders. I took a few quick photos (please don't mind the bathroom setting and what i'm wearing now) Would I be considered someone who is more erect? or normal in terms of posture. Also, are my shoulders square(ish)? I'd appreciate any input. Also, for more suit jackets I tend to find that the bottom front of my jacket tends to lift and billow as if I had a large stomach (which I don't... at least not a large one) Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Despos

^ can't see anything or make anything out from your pictures. Ask a local tailor to help you with measurements if you are unsure.

Even with good measurements there is room for error of how your measurements translate with their pattern. Expect to need alterations and a try or two to get things to look or fit like you want.

6. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

I have an artistic question, and I'd love some input:

I have commissioned a bespoke black suit - 2 button, single-breasted, flat-front, slim but not skinny. I'm a part-time musician, and I'll use this suit for my gigs and maybe also for parties/going to the opera/etc.

It isn't a tuxedo, and I don't want to pretend it's a tuxedo, so I'm thinking I should inject a little flair into the suit. I've considered putting contrasting stitching on the cuff buttons, or contrasting thread underneath the double-vents. Thoughts? I don't want to be too ostentatious; I just want to add a little sprezz to maximize the bespoke benefits and to show that I'm not pretending it's a tux.

Any opinions/suggestions about this would be much appreciated. [​IMG]

7. Despos

I think your ideas will make it look more like trendy RTW than bespoke.

8. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

that stitching would make it crudely ostentatious.

9. Robstrongo

Robstrongo Senior member

Looking to get some feedback on this 38s Brooks Brothers suit (Regent fit) that I just got in the mail after being backordered for months (ordered it 40% off around Christmas). Do you guy's think this is worth getting tailored, or should I got to Brooks Brothers and exchange it for something else? Any feedback is appreciated..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Despos

Seems OK, return only if you don't care for the look or the silhouette. The shoulder looks a little wide from the back and you don't want to alter that. If you like the look, keep it.

11. Tailor Dan

Tailor Dan Senior member

Could look a little better by taking in half back a tad to clean up the back across the shoulders and obviously shorten the legs a good 1".

12. Despos

^
    You realize the trouser isn't hemmed and just turned up to try on for the picture, right?

Wouldn't take in the back unless you narrow the shoulder to make it look right. And narrow the shoulder at the sleeves not the center back.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

13. Munsened

Munsened New Member

Hi was hoping to get some feedback on this suit and whether i should keep it and get it altered or return it. The tailor i go to thought it was a touch small and that i should try to find something slightly larger due to the lapel on my right side not always laying down completely against my chest (occaisionally theres maybe a half inch or so of room between chest and coat. My main concern however is that the shoulders appear a bit lumpy accross the top. Was wondering if that meant the jacket was too small (doesnt feel like it) or if something is wrong with the construction of the jacket? Anyway, thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. althanis

althanis Senior member

Hi, can you tell me if this sort of bunching in the armpits is normal? I'm not sure it is. If it's not, what adjustments could be made to fix it? I got it from an online MTM company, so I can make the alterations on the next order.

[​IMG]

15. Despos

Send this picture and ask the maker. Some will be able to make adjustments and some won't.