1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

the shoulders look great on this.
    they must have cut off of a different pattern

2. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

This is a great fit; don't have it altered. It's supposed to look like that (slightly roped shoulder). The second sport coat you posted has a natural shoulder.

3. ter1413

ter1413 Stylish Dinosaur

Lesson learned.

Unless it is a basic alteration/adjustment, I would confirm what he/she plans to do and how.

4. paxonus

paxonus Senior Member

What does that shoulder look like with your arm down at your side?

5. Wilson13

Wilson13 Senior Member

You should be able to see it in the other picture I took with that jacket. It’s not bad, but not as soft as I would like. That is my shoulder that is slightly lower.

6. johnross2007

johnross2007 Active Member

I have definitely learned the lesson. But I wonder how I should proceed now. Is the alteration reversible? Do you find the tailor trustworthy, such that I should ask him to reverse it, or should I find another tailor to do this?

7. breakaway01

breakaway01 Distinguished Member

Hard to tell with complete certainty from the photos but it looks like the tailor simply folded the end of the sleeve over including the last working buttonhole. Is that true? If so, the sleeve can be easily restored to its original state. The sleeve should then be shortened from the shoulder, not from the sleeve end. Whether or not to trust your tailor depends on how well he understands this alteration. Since it involves working on the sleevehead, there is potential for irreversible harm if he messes it up.

8. johnross2007

Yes, I believe it was simply folded, though I expect the buttons are missing. I plan on going to a different tailor. The one before is also a dry cleaner, which I hear is a red flag. There is only one shop in my area that does not do dry cleaning, but their primary business is formal-wear rentals, primarily weddings and quinceaneras. They have good reviews on google, though most relate to wedding dresses.

Thank you guys for the advice. I appreciate it immensely.

9. AmayaTaiyou

AmayaTaiyou Member

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a new RTW suit and after wearing it for a day, I've realized that there is a shoulder divot in my left shoulder while my right shoulder is fine. I've done a bit of searching around the forums and found that the most likely reason for the divot is due to the armhole not being cut as a perfect match. I wanted to know if this is an easy fix a tailor can do, or rather, very difficult one and better off leaving as is. I've posted pictures of the divot below. Thanks! file1-2.png file-3.png

10. Andy_00

Andy_00 Senior Member

I suspect the divot is due to your dropped shoulder on that side. I have the same problem on the other side.

I don’t think this is an easy fix at all, and perhaps impossible. However, it is there in the context of an overall very good looking suit fit.

11. Shirtmaven

Why didn't black lapel take responsibility for the too long sleeves. Don't they have tailors?
    Or did you measure yourself?

12. johnross2007

I measured myself. So far, I'm very happy with Black Lapel. This is my first suit through them. I ordered extra pants. They remade them without hesitation when the seat was wonky.

13. Shirtmaven

So who's fault for sleeves 1.5" too long?

14. johnross2007

In all likelihood, my fault. I'm not trained in proper measurements, and neither was the one measuring me, a friend.

15. Shirtmaven

This is why self measured made to order clothing is often a disaster.