1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. goodmoemoe

goodmoemoe Member

Is that something the tailor can fix? I think its too late for that. What other altercation could make it look better?

2. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Distinguished Member

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do with the jacket length. Others on this thread with better eyes can give you better advice for other issues.

3. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior Member

The jacket is too short, button stance too high, jacket sleeve heads don't match your shoulders, jacket vents splaying out, sleeves too short, jacket sides tapered so much it looks like you have hips, trousers too tight in thighs, legs too narrow, and you need to wear a proper pair of shoes to gauge trouser length. I'm viewing on mobile device, so there's likely more that I'm missing.

Alterations for these items are not possible, and the things that are fixable would cost more than the suit's price. In short, this suit is not for you. Return it if you can, and if you can't, donate it, and then go shopping at a location with proper salesmen or tailors.

4. goodmoemoe

goodmoemoe Member

Can you explain more on the "jacket sleeve heads don't match your shoulders"? I didn't get this part. Do you mean its too far out or not far enough out?

Also the suit was made in a shop, I didn't know much about suits, so i just let her do the recommendation. At this point I'm gonna try to ask her to fix as much as possible.

5. beargonefishing

What do you mean by "it was made in a shop"? Was the suit made based on your measurements? If it was made based on your measurements, you should request a refund.

6. goodmoemoe

goodmoemoe Member

yes, base on my measurements. Like it said i didn't know much at the time, so i went with it. Now that i know the jacket should cover my butt, but at the time she recommended to cover half butt, and i agreed. So i gotta take some blame as well. Now i really just want to fix as much as possible.

7. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior Member

A suit doesn't make a man look good simply because its a suit---it looks good because of the way it follows, enhances, and compliments a man's physique. One of the characteristics of a proper fit which accomplishes these goals is good drape, the antithesis of which are naturally occurring wrinkles (as opposed to wrinkles which are are created through usage.) Real world meaning: generally, where you see wrinkles (or non-flowing lines) in a suit, it is not fitting your body correctly. In your fourth picture, look at the heavy wrinkling near your biceps, particularly on your right arm. The jacket sleeve head is not form-fitting around your shoulder. Similarly, notice the wrinkles down the rest of the sleeves, near the lower back, and throughout the legs.

You can ask the person who made the suit to "fix as much as possible," but features like button stance and jacket length are simply impossible to change. They are some of the basic components of a suit and if they don't match your body, the suit will never look correct on you.

ETA: Furthermore, anyone who made this suit for you, and let you walk out of the shop wearing it, is either an idiot or has no pride in their work. Do not give them any more of your money, as it will be wasted.

8. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior Member

Would you wear high-water jeans? or a midriff-baring shirt? No? then don't wear a jacket that doesn't come close to covering your butt. Business and formal attire have much stricter standards than either of the two former examples which I provided.

9. goodmoemoe

goodmoemoe Member

"The jacket sleeve head is not form-fitting around your shoulder." Does that mean too big too small? I just want to know how to tell the tailor

10. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior Member

You don't tell the tailor how to fix the sleeve head---either the tailor knows, or they don't, and if they don't, then you explaining it to them will not give them the skill or vision to fix the issue. The only way to fix this suit to fit you is to completely start from scratch.

11. goodmoemoe

goodmoemoe Member

I just want to be able to reason with them to make them make a new one. So basically i just point out that there is too much wrinkles on the suit? Does slim fit suit also have no wrinkles?

12. ter1413

ter1413 Stylish Dinosaur

The suit is not well made. There is nothing that can be done to salvage it. Wrinkles have nothing to do with it. Whoever made it should not have left you leave the shop if they saw how it fit and they cared.

Will they make a new one for you? Do you WANT them to make a new one for you? That's the question.

How many fittings did you have during the making of the suit? Just curious.

13. goodmoemoe

goodmoemoe Member

I got the measurement, and got the suit 3 weeks later. She asked me the day i picked up if i think its ok. As i don't know anything about it, it looked fine to me.

Since it does include fitting, and fixing. I just want to provide enough reason for them to make me a new one. Right now i just know the jacket length too short, button in wrong position(these two i did agree during the measurement). The above mentioned the jacket sleeve head is not form-fitting around your shoulder", its just too vague for me to explain to them. How would you describe it? Also any other issues you see? I want to bring all the issues i have to them at once

14. beargonefishing

The pants are a mess. They should drape, not bunch up like a rag. I honestly don't know where to begin on the pants. Some pictures for reference.

15. goodmoemoe

goodmoemoe Member

I remember she telling me to wear the pants higher than normal. I might have not done that in the picture (also the height of the sneaker might also contribute to the problem). Ill try again, and see if it makes any difference.

i want to also know how to explain to the tailor how "jacket sleeve heads don't match shoulders". Can you explain like i'm five? lol

Thanks again yall. Very helpful