1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. aerogaa

aerogaa Member

Thanks @zr3rs, I would suspect there is slight misalignment in the width and height between the the sleevehead and the sleeve armhole and that's causing the divots. However I am a bit puzzled why it now appears that the side of my arms are pushing outward forming a curvature on the sleeves. Shouldn't this be an issue when the shoulders are taken in (although I cannot see any change in the shoulder width)?

2. Oshare

Oshare Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'll ask my tailor about how to adjust the pants -- no idea about how to do it, but they are just too wide.

3. 1up

1up Distinguished Member

Sure, the jacket is OTR, no alterations yet:

8E66FAB2-DED8-47C7-84C1-FED53CAE10DD.jpeg
    E76C2954-18E2-4097-B944-D8DCBE870C17.jpeg

And since I’m getting feedback, any recommendations on this shirt, in particular to resolve the lower back bunching on this shirt? It’s not due to extra fabric around the waist, the maker has commented it could be tight around the hips (it is) underneath my trousers inciting the horizontal wrinkling.

068F95EA-140A-4F94-882C-AEACA2F97DAA.jpeg
    7A84FBB6-F118-4CEE-B71E-3E6F7A94FC7E.jpeg

No need to address the pants, I know they’re a mess, working hard to rectify the issues with luxire - but I’m open to ideas there too...

4. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

A lot wrong with the shirt.
    Sleeves too short. Yoke too short.
    And hips could be too tight

5. 1up

1up Distinguished Member

And the jacket?

6. zr3rs

zr3rs Senior Member

Looks ok for RTW. I would not mess with it, maybe shorten the sleeves a hair to your liking.

7. rainmaker

rainmaker Senior Member

hi there, hoping for feedback on what kind of button arrangement makes sense on a double-breasted waistcoat for a 3 piece suit for my wedding. I'm getting a MTM navy suit done and am about 5'9", athleticish build. Happy to get input from tailors and non-tailors alike.

Here's David Gandy in a navy 4x2 and grey 6x3:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Jye-C

Jye-C Member

IMG_1765.jpg IMG_1788.jpg Hi

I have recently received two bespoke suits. The front of both jackets look lovely. But I am not sure about the back.

I plan to bring both back to the tailor, but I want to make sure I am not unreasonable. Look forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions on the fit of the back of the jackets.

Many tks.

J

9. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

Back looks bad for bespoke or MTM. Was it a traveling tailor? We’re there multiple basted fittings? And how much did you pay?

10. Jye-C

Jye-C Member

Well known European house. Multiple fittings.

Which is worse?

What are the fixes needed?

Tks for advice.

J

11. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

Looks like excess fabric on the back, and the sleeves are messy as well. May need to recut or rotate

I’m not trying to disparage the tailor, but I would be curious to find out which house it is. Can you also post pics from the front?

What’s your budget? You may want to try proper MTM through Dunhill, Zegna, RL as a start if you don’t want to pay for high-end bespoke. They’ll typically refund you or give a do-over if the result is bad.

12. Maccimus

Maccimus Distinguished Member

You are not unreasonable J. Your tailor is unreasonable to charge you at bespoke level.

13. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior Member

Frankly, you have room which is good, and the back is a moving target, so I would settle with the tailors sense. Lots of people here use the `reduction technique`...less here, less there, but this does not mean its comfortable, and by reducing what looks large in a photo does not necessarily provide a perfect fit. Sleeve lengths or Jacket lengths ok, but I would go back to the tailor and ask hi for his explanations first. Frankly, in real life, I think no one would notice anything wrong, as long as the suit is of good cloth, and hangs well. Best on your endeavors.

14. Jye-C

Jye-C Member

This is as high end a

15. Jye-C

Jye-C Member

Thanks everyone for the good advice. Really helpful.

I have been using the same tailor in my home country for 20 years. In the past one year I have experimented with 2 top end European houses, 1 top end Tokyo house. 2 to 3 commissions each.

They all cost 2-3 times more. Much more handiwork. Much more distinctive cut. Hang better. But frankly very hard to justify the price premium. Maybe it is unfair to compare a well known tailor who has made 2 suits for me vs a local tailor who has made 25 suits for me.

Once again tks for good advice so far.

J