1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Yes more and more I am realizing my taper makes me look like I have clown feet :embar:

Going to have the pants hemmed and waist suppressed. Thanks,

2. chogall

chogall Senior member

Sound's like a major operation. Not sure if the in-house BB tailor is willing to do the modification. :(

Thank you very much for the advice!

3. Intern100

Intern100 New Member

I recognize that the pant legs are pretty short in comparism to the past (5-10 years ago).

Is this the newest style in business dresses ?

4. dks202

dks202 Senior member

I didn't know they ever left.....:)

5. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

These are probably my best-fitting pants. But do you have any thoughts on room for improvement (other than the missing belt loops...)? Despos and others have discussed what causes the U-shaped wrinkles in the back, but I can't remember the cause. they're minor here, but I would love a refresher.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks guys!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  6. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Thanks for your insight. I'm not exactly sure what I'll do with this info…

I have to laugh at your question. That's our outgoing mail pouch next to our front door in our flat. My wife took those photos and we had taken a bunch of stuff out of the frame after the first two pics, then I made her take the third but had started putting stuff back up. She said, "what about the mail pouch?" I said, "nobody will notice." :rotflmao:

7. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Good one, seems people notice what you don't expect they will and miss the stuff you want them to see.

Point of my explanation is to show there is more than one way to take in the waist/sides of a jacket and each will have it's own visual effect as a result. What I didn't know was if you went back to the tailor to have more taken in because you thought the jacket was too loose and wanted a closer fit or you wanted the waist to look more suppressed. Maybe this will help you communicate with your tailor what you want to achieve.

8. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

yes you should have at least a bottom circumference of 17"
    when having the tailor do the fitting. wear your belt and cinch it as snug as you usually wear.
    move the excess cloth to the back, so that the tailor can see how much excess cloth must be removed.
    take a look at the trouser photo. see how much higher and wider the right hip is, thats because of the low right shoulder.
    that is causing the right vent to gap.
    that also means that the right inseam will be longer than the left.

9. Despos

Trousers look good. Not quite to my standards but close. :D I think this pair would do well with side straps and not loops because I don't like wearing belts with light colored trousers. Just a dark horizontal line around your waist. The slight wrinkling on the back part is so slight it is not worth mentioning.
    I can't figure why there is a second button beyond the point of the extension on the waistband. It's not like you would use it in any way. Would remove it.
    Do you think you will use the two front pockets in the waistband seam for anything?

10. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

thanks for pointing that out! will be going in tomorrow for the 2nd time now and will let them know this.

just quick question, but suit pants should be worn higher at the waist compared to jeans at the hip? i have a low belly button so i would rather not cover it with my pants.

11. emptym

Thanks D. I might go w/ side straps then. They'd be easier to add. I could do that myself. The second button puzzles me too. Two of the three have it. I figured it's there in case I need to tighten the waist, but only in an emergency, since that button would then be out of whack w/ the other nine or whatever. I used waistband pockets to store my ID and some money, when I lived in a dangerous neighborhood or still sometimes when I travel. But those are usually hanging inside the waist or inside the waistband itself. I did ask for one waistband pocket. I'm guessing he did two, since he likes symmetry. When I asked for one rear pocket, for example, he said it's best to do two or none.

12. Despos

If you try making the waist smaller using the second button you'll see why it doesn't work.

I think it is there to satisfy his symmetry obsession. Two not one because one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do, two can be as bad as one, It's the loneliest number since the number one.

Applies to pockets as well. I tell clients the same, two back pockets or none.

13. emptym

:laugh: I already tried. Looks and feels weird, but it'd keep my pants up in an emergency. Any other thoughts for improving the pants?

14. allaboutshoes

allaboutshoes Senior member

OK so I just bough this new suit and im wondering about a few things:
    A. Hows the fit of the jacket and pants?
    B. Should I do a 2 inch cuff or just do a straight hem with no cuffs (because the leg is narrow)?
    C. Is the jacket too short?
    D. how are the double monks?
    I already know that: there are some wrinkles in the suit, the basting thread in hanging and my cuff isnt showing out of my sleeve (BIG SF no-no). Looking forward to some feedback :slayer:.
    P.S. Sorry about the lousy photos.... I cant seem to figure out a good way to take them with my DSLR! (Any ideas would be appreciated)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  15. Intern100

Intern100 New Member

In my opinion the legs of the pants are too long.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  16. Despos

Yes, do 2" cuffs. You can always remove them.

17. allaboutshoes

Wait, are you serious? They are unhemmed so of course theyre too long! :foo:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  18. allaboutshoes

How's the fit overall?

19. Despos

Don't think it could fit any better than it does already. Go for it!

1 person likes this.
  20. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Really? I'm obviously a complete n00b compared to you, but it looks really weird to me. Is it the button configuration that's looking really odd? Why are the buttons so high? Also it seems short to me?