• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

jandersson

Reaction score
@mintyfresh: I'm not a tailor but...

Photos would help diagnose the problem and ask ProperCloth.

I suspect armhole height has to be addressed at the pattern cutting stage. I doubt this problem can be resolved with alterations. Maybe this can be improved for your next shirt, but few MTM shirt companies can do high armholes so I doubt it.

Having sufficient room across the back and some extra width and length in the sleeves improves mobility. Longer sleeves require properly narrow cuffs to prevent them from sliding down over your hands.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Is there any particular shirt pattern adjustment that can or should be made for rounded/forward shoulders. Typically, this features causes three problems:

1. Some drag lines either side of the collar (as the yoke is dragged forward at each end)
2. An excess of fabric along the armscye at the front.
3. Creasing around the armscye at the back (where the shoulder is hollow)

Ahheck01

Reaction score
I've purhased a few Indochino suits with decent results, but for my upcoming wedding I spent twice as much stepping up to a 3 piece oliver wicks suit. I'd love to hear your feedback on what I should get tailored/adjusted! Probably a bit late for a remake to get here in time for a 9/30 wedding.

JPEG image-90548DF95CDD-12.jpg
JPEG image-90548DF95CDD-1.jpg JPEG image-90548DF95CDD-2.jpg JPEG image-90548DF95CDD-3.jpg JPEG image-90548DF95CDD-6.jpg JPEG image-90548DF95CDD-10.jpg JPEG image-90548DF95CDD-11.jpg JPEG image-90548DF95CDD-12.jpg

mobobs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've purhased a few Indochino suits with decent results, but for my upcoming wedding I spent twice as much stepping up to a 3 piece oliver wicks suit. I'd love to hear your feedback on what I should get tailored/adjusted! Probably a bit late for a remake to get here in time for a 9/30 wedding.

View attachment 841331 View attachment 841325 View attachment 841326 View attachment 841327 View attachment 841328 View attachment 841329 View attachment 841330 View attachment 841331
There really isn't much that you can alter. You might want to see if one of the tailors wants to weigh in on whether shortening the collar will remove some of the creasing in back. The suit looks fine overall, definitely better than any OTR would fit with your posture. My only suggestion is using suspenders under the vest (definitely not a light contrasting belt) so that the pants rise slightly and the vest meets the waistband without showing any shirt.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a tailor. With that said, I dont see how shortening the collar would help anything here. Perhaps you meant shortening the back.

In any case, I would be interested in hearing the recommendations from the pros here.

mobobs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a tailor. With that said, I dont see how shortening the collar would help anything here. Perhaps you meant shortening the back.

In any case, I would be interested in hearing the recommendations from the pros here.

You are correct, I meant shortening the back. I tend to use those interchangeably since my tailor knows what I mean :)

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
General question:

I have two pair of pants from the same maker, light brown and gray. They each have a 11" front rise.

I had the light brown altered (nip the waist, shorten pant leg, and tapered). Fits well and really appreciate the higher rise.

I then had the gray altered at a different appointment (same alterations as above). For some reason, the gray pair really hugs in and around my whole seat, uncomfortable when seated for long periods of time.

First thing I noticed was how much more snug the waist was of the gray pair of pants (at least let out quarter of an inch).

Question is when the tailor takes in the waist, can this affect the rise of the pants? Whatever alterations happened the pants feel like a lower rise pair of trousers when I am seated. I plan on taking the pants back this weekend but am not sure what to ask for. Only thing is to take in both pair of pants and ask the tailor to measure both pants and compare seat measurements (waist, front and back rise, hip measurement, etc.) I think the solution is to let out the waist 0.25" but will this help with the seat?

vim147

Reaction score
Am learning to do my own alterations from youtube videos.
For a slim fit, no break trouser what hem width should i do ?
For shirts, how much room space should be in the body and arms to have the fitted look ?

pnin22

Reaction score
Trouser hem width 7.5" is moderate, 7" is slim. Anything under that, and they'll fit like leggings.

Care to share YouTube clips for advanced jacket alterations?

TortillaBusiness

Reaction score
Not totally happy with the fit of this suit I bought a few months back, I'd prefer a more fitted look in the body. I was going to ask a tailor to take the sides in and slim the arms and pants. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

DSC_1444.jpg

DSC_1445.jpg

DSC_1446.jpg

DSC_1447.jpg

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had some items made from Luxire, and I can't resolve the bunching in the lower back of the shirt, and pants. Would love any insight:

Their recommendations after this iteration are:

1) Reduce the midsection width of the shirt by 0.5" flat (total 1" at the shirt waist).
2) Reduce back pant length by 0.5" and reduce inseam by 0.5" at crotch.

IMG_0397.jpg IMG_0400.jpg IMG_0396.jpg IMG_0402.jpg IMG_0395.jpg IMG_0401.jpg

fourspin

Reaction score
x-Posting from the PC forum, hope that's ok.

I just dipped my first toe in the Proper Cloth pool. I am in Denver so my only local semi custom shop choice is Ratio, and I have tried them once and do like their construction, but not so much their fabric selection. I understand the limitations of online MTM, but wanted to see how close I could get. I figured a casual shirt would be a little more forgiving than a dress shirt, so I wasn't going for a super fitted look, just a reasonably slim fit that I could tweak if I order something more dressy. I think for starters I would take the waist in a tad for a dressier shirt. I'd appreciate feedback on fit. Note that I didn't have the collar stays in when these were taken (because I washed the shirt and forgot to put them back in after ironing), and photos were shot slightly upwards by my daughter.
IMG_3576.jpg
IMG_3568.jpg IMG_3531.jpg
IMG_3551.jpg IMG_3556.jpg IMG_3559.jpg

whitefisk

Reaction score
Recent MTM. Advice on how to clean up the back for the next one would be greatly appreciated
sf1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads