The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. mintyfresh

mintyfresh Senior member

Received my first shirt from ProperCloth, and I seem to have the same problem with the majority of OTR shirts - that the sleeves are fine when my arm is down, but pull back so much when I lift my arms.

Given that they are providing 'free alterations', what is it I would tell them to fix? I suppose this is an armhole issue, but not sure how to verbalize it.

From my experience, the only OTR shirts that don't do that are Brooks Brothers shirts (if that helps any).

Many thanks.

2. jandersson

jandersson Active Member

@mintyfresh: I'm not a tailor but...

Photos would help diagnose the problem and ask ProperCloth.

I suspect armhole height has to be addressed at the pattern cutting stage. I doubt this problem can be resolved with alterations. Maybe this can be improved for your next shirt, but few MTM shirt companies can do high armholes so I doubt it.

Having sufficient room across the back and some extra width and length in the sleeves improves mobility. Longer sleeves require properly narrow cuffs to prevent them from sliding down over your hands.

3. Aloysius16

Aloysius16 Senior member

Is there any particular shirt pattern adjustment that can or should be made for rounded/forward shoulders. Typically, this features causes three problems:

1. Some drag lines either side of the collar (as the yoke is dragged forward at each end)
    2. An excess of fabric along the armscye at the front.
    3. Creasing around the armscye at the back (where the shoulder is hollow)

4. Ahheck01

Ahheck01 Senior member

I've purhased a few Indochino suits with decent results, but for my upcoming wedding I spent twice as much stepping up to a 3 piece oliver wicks suit. I'd love to hear your feedback on what I should get tailored/adjusted! Probably a bit late for a remake to get here in time for a 9/30 wedding.

JPEG image-90548DF95CDD-12.jpg JPEG image-90548DF95CDD-1.jpg JPEG image-90548DF95CDD-2.jpg JPEG image-90548DF95CDD-3.jpg JPEG image-90548DF95CDD-6.jpg JPEG image-90548DF95CDD-10.jpg JPEG image-90548DF95CDD-11.jpg JPEG image-90548DF95CDD-12.jpg

5. mobobs

mobobs Senior member

There really isn't much that you can alter. You might want to see if one of the tailors wants to weigh in on whether shortening the collar will remove some of the creasing in back. The suit looks fine overall, definitely better than any OTR would fit with your posture. My only suggestion is using suspenders under the vest (definitely not a light contrasting belt) so that the pants rise slightly and the vest meets the waistband without showing any shirt.

6. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

I am not a tailor. With that said, I dont see how shortening the collar would help anything here. Perhaps you meant shortening the back.

In any case, I would be interested in hearing the recommendations from the pros here.

7. mobobs

mobobs Senior member

You are correct, I meant shortening the back. I tend to use those interchangeably since my tailor knows what I mean :)