The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ctyrw

ctyrw Member

2. unapologeticpeanut

unapologeticpeanut New Member

Hi everyone, brand new to this forum! I commissioned a suit from a tailor a while back and just received the final product. The issue is that a few days before, he asked if I wanted the sides to be taken in further (basically tightening the chest), which I agreed to. To my untrained eye at least, the result looks rather messy apart from the front, and the tailor has agreed to do any necessary alterations for free.

Based on the pictures below, there's an obvious divot on my right shoulder, a lapel gape and bunching at the sleeves and waist. Can all of these be sorted out simply by letting the fabric out at the back, or are there any other things that can be done in order to make the fit cleaner? I'd preferably like a fit that's as slim as possible, but without the flaws that come with an overly tight fit. Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Also, being fully-canvassed, will the fit 'improve' over time, i.e. will any residual imperfections be ironed out the more it is worn?

Many thanks! L1001733.jpg L1001735.jpg L1001738.jpg L1001739.jpg L1001743.jpg IMG_1840.JPG

3. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

You would need to let out at waist quite a bit... And it wouldn't guarantee you a nice back as there are problems with the upper back, armscye...and trousers. Re-do the back or the whole suit probably is easier.

4. unapologeticpeanut

unapologeticpeanut New Member

I'm not sure re-doing the whole suit is an option... For the armscye is it a sleeve pitch issue? I requested for small armholes but he wasn't willing to go a whole lot.
    What specific alterations need to be made? It doesn't have to be perfect in the bespoke sense since I was going for a slightly slimmer fit anyway. Also I'm letting the trousers slide since my leg muscles are relatively big.

5. ericjens7

ericjens7 Well-Known Member

There is no way this is proper Bespoke from a tailor. It's a mess and you should honestly ask for your money back.
    The trousers were not cut for you forward hips. The jacket is too tight all over. Your pronounced blades were not accounted for. The back might be short but it's hard to tell because it is much too tight. Who ever took in the sides did a bad job sewing. Sleeve pitch is way off. Chest is clearly too tight. This should have never been sent home with you.

6. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Sleeves and overall length are a bit short for my taste.

7. MrBergschrund

MrBergschrund Well-Known Member

From top to bottom, everything is too tight. thats why the chest and back and pants are not clean in overall sense. i think you should really consider loosen everything first.