• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Gatsbyu

Reaction score
Could you let me know if it is possible to let out the waist on trousers finished at the back as the picture below shows. I only need about half to three-quarters of an inch and there seems enough spare material, just not sure about the finishing.

Many thanks.
Can't see with just this pic. But, if the waistband is much thicker close to the bar-take, there should have some inlays

Lucan

Reaction score
Yes, I think there is enough material. I was just concerned about the bar tack thing. Does that just get cut open, and then replaced after letting the trousers out?

Here's a photo to show the available material anyhow.

Gatsbyu

Reaction score
Yes,bar tack is easy, just a #30/50 thread can do. The only question is whether u have enough pocketing (bias cut materials covering the inside of waistband) and waistband canvas to let out.

Lucan

Reaction score
Great, thanks very much for your replies. I'll open them up tonight and have a look.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you have covered up the area that needs to be shown.
Unzip the fly, its in the way.
Show the wool cloth that is folded inside near the top of the center back seam

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Measure across edge to edge the wool fabric .
then subtract 1/2 " the result will tell you the max you can let out.

Canadian09

Reaction score
I purchased a pair of wool charcoal pants last week at a consignment shop. They're 100% wool and were $6.99 (score!) but of course, the cut was very full. I took them to my tailor and got them back today. They're a little tight in the upper thigh (as you can see from the fabric pulling) but overall I was happy with the result. Just wanted to see if anyone else had feedback regarding the fit.

*I don't have very good lighting in my apartment so my apologies for the poor images, i.e. over exposure. They're is only one angle because due to the colour of the pants and the lighting you can't really make out the fit very well from a side profile. Also, I don't know why I didn't wear shoes in the first pic.*

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Before and after.

Last edited:

savvas

Reaction score
I bought these wool/cashmere trousers and need to get them re hemmed. I've pinned them where I think they should be but would appreciate your thoughts on their length. Also would it be worth getting the lower leg tapered at the same time? These would just be worn casually on a night out.

teknique22

Reaction score
I'm trying to fix a couple issues with a new jacket:

1) Excess fabric behind shoulder blades

2) excess fabric under armpits

I was told this may be due to the chest being too wide, in addition to the armhole being too high. I was told to decrease chest width, and slightly increase armhole length to help correct. Any advice? Thanks

Mr Sola

Reaction score
The waist on these feels good, but the pockets flare a bit. The thighs are snug but not tight or restricting. Should I size up and take in the waist?

[/IMG]

catlettsl

Reaction score
Any feedback on this Suitsupply Napoli 44R. I'm 6'2'' 225lbs btw
Thanks

3e060ae1e60c861a4fd380d8b8b27385.png
7ccb035db3796a104defcb3d1a851cac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

varsityreds0123

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Kindly seeking advice on a dark brown suit I recently purchased from my tailor. I am 5'8'' with a muscular build. I would mostly like opinions on the length of the jacket - is it too long? I know that the sleeve pitch needs to be adjusted, and there are a few ripples across the back which I attribute to my broad build and the fact that my lats were "squished" back a bit for the picture. Any input is kindly appreciated!

Last edited:

teknique22

Reaction score
I'm trying to fix a couple issues with a new jacket:

1) Excess fabric behind shoulder blades

2) excess fabric under armpits

I was told this may be due to the chest being too wide, in addition to the armhole being too high. I was told to decrease chest width, and slightly increase armhole length to help correct. Any advice? Thanks

Bump

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads