• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
D-RING SOURCE NEEDED:

I have a couple pairs of trousers that I need tailored, and while they're at it, I'd like to have the belt loops removed and side adjusters made and added. One pair is a winter white flannel, and the other is an orange linen. Any suggestions on the d-ring hardware finish and where a good place is to source them?

Thanks so much!

RPM1

Reaction score
I went to a new tailor to have jacket sleeve alterations, and he seems to have damaged the fabric.

Is there any way it can be repaired?

I was able to have this repaired from the British Invisible Mending Service.

They charged £55 + VAT, and the repaired area cannot be seen unless you know what you are looking for and look very carefully.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey guys...looking for a tailor in Westchester, NY

anyone?

ChandlerBing12

Reaction score
Alright so I already posted this in the Luxire forum after receiving my first shirt, but I wanted some more feedback in terms of the fit of this classic grey oxford. I ordered this shirt to be both worn tucked in at the office as well as untucked with jeans or chinos for a night out. The shirt looks fantastic tucked in to be honest even though I haven't provided pictures. I think I could shorten up the length of the shirt just a little (nit picky?) so it falls around the upper-middle part of my butt. This is how I usually like to wear my shirts untucked so i think taking a little bit off lengthwise will still achieve a good look both tucked in and untucked. My next problem, which is the most concerning, is that it looks like the bottom measurement is a little wide. While the waist is perfect IMO, the wide bottom creates an hourglass look to the shirt that I think can be avoid in the future. Also how are the sleeves in terms of length? Not sure if I should increase by .25 for the next time.

This is where you guys come in. What do you guys think I could do to nail my measurements down for my second order? Thanks!

Last edited:

OTCtailor

Reaction score

D-RING SOURCE NEEDED:

I have a couple pairs of trousers that I need tailored, and while they're at it, I'd like to have the belt loops removed and side adjusters made and added. One pair is a winter white flannel, and the other is an orange linen. Any suggestions on the d-ring hardware finish and where a good place is to source them?

Thanks so much!

They're not easy to find. I have a bunch of them from different Mtm suits I've ordered for clients (I always order side adjusters in case they one day ask for them). MSG me for details

hooligan

Reaction score
hi, all. cross post with the spoon tailor SF thread, cuz i wasn't sure where best to post. instead of pasting the same post, i'll link to it here: http://tinyurl.com/l8ne7o9

thanks for any feedback!

smit388

Reaction score
I recently got a BB Fitzgerald blazer and a buddy of mine was nice enough to give me a SuitSupply jacket he doesn't wear anymore. Both are 40L and I am 6'3 about 180 lbs. Both of them have some issues but I would like to hear what some of the resident tailors suggestions are regarding what could be done.

First up is the blazer

Here's the jacket

I would really like to have these looking perfect so any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Hello all,

If someone has a moment I'd really appreciate ideas on how to nail the fit of my first MTM suit here, from Black Lapel. Overall I feel like it's in the ballpark but I think it needs some finessing and I have no idea where to begin. I'll be having a tux made for my sister's wedding soon and I want to make sure I get that one spot on, and improve this one as well.

Many thanks, please have a click:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/411171/first-black-lapel-suit-fit-check

Balfour

Reaction score
I realise this question may be regarded as falling outside the scope of the thread, in that it a general question without pictures.

However, if 'within bounds', I would be interested in the tailors' opinions on how to determine the proper size for a trouser opening, assuming a conservative non-'slim fit' non-heavily tapered style.* (It would help settle a debate I've been having with someone who favours a heavily tapered look.)

For a US size 8 shoe, around 8.5"-8.75"?

* I.e. not "SF-approved"!
devil.gif

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realise this question may be regarded as falling outside the scope of the thread, in that it a general question without pictures.

However, if 'within bounds', I would be interested in the tailors' opinions on how to determine the proper size for a trouser opening, assuming a conservative non-'slim fit' non-heavily tapered style.* (It would help settle a debate I've been having with someone who favours a heavily tapered look.)

For a US size 8 shoe, around 8.5"-8.75"?

* I.e. not "SF-approved"!
devil.gif

Perhaps this is more a "style" question than a tailoring question?

In any event, I believe the traditional ('classic') principle was that the trouser should cover about two-thirds of the shoe.

Cheers,

Ac

Balfour

Reaction score
Perhaps this is more a "style" question than a tailoring question?

In any event, I believe the traditional ('classic') principle was that the trouser should cover about two-thirds of the shoe.

Cheers,

Ac
Yes, personal taste is definitely a factor. But I suspect the tailors will have views on what is an acceptable range for the style described in my first post. Again, my apologies if outside the scope of the thread.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Alright so I already posted this in the Luxire forum after receiving my first shirt, but I wanted some more feedback in terms of the fit of this classic grey oxford. I ordered this shirt to be both worn tucked in at the office as well as untucked with jeans or chinos for a night out. The shirt looks fantastic tucked in to be honest even though I haven't provided pictures. I think I could shorten up the length of the shirt just a little (nit picky?) so it falls around the upper-middle part of my butt. This is how I usually like to wear my shirts untucked so i think taking a little bit off lengthwise will still achieve a good look both tucked in and untucked. My next problem, which is the most concerning, is that it looks like the bottom measurement is a little wide. While the waist is perfect IMO, the wide bottom creates an hourglass look to the shirt that I think can be avoid in the future. Also how are the sleeves in terms of length? Not sure if I should increase by .25 for the next time. This is where you guys come in. What do you guys think I could do to nail my measurements down for my second order? Thanks!
for untuckekd you would have to let the waiist measurement out and hip measurement in 1" both ways should do the trick if the shirt was washed at least twice.. sleeves are too short by at least 1/2"+ if washed you need even longer sleeve length. tail length looks ok

Reaction score
for untuckekd you would have to let the waiist measurement out and hip measurement in 1" both ways should do the trick
if the shirt was washed at least twice.. sleeves are too short by at least 1/2"+ if washed you need even longer sleeve length.
tail length looks ok

Alright so I already posted this in the Luxire forum after receiving my first shirt, but I wanted some more feedback in terms of the fit of this classic grey oxford. I ordered this shirt to be both worn tucked in at the office as well as untucked with jeans or chinos for a night out. The shirt looks fantastic tucked in to be honest even though I haven't provided pictures. I think I could shorten up the length of the shirt just a little (nit picky?) so it falls around the upper-middle part of my butt. This is how I usually like to wear my shirts untucked so i think taking a little bit off lengthwise will still achieve a good look both tucked in and untucked. My next problem, which is the most concerning, is that it looks like the bottom measurement is a little wide. While the waist is perfect IMO, the wide bottom creates an hourglass look to the shirt that I think can be avoid in the future. Also how are the sleeves in terms of length? Not sure if I should increase by .25 for the next time.

This is where you guys come in. What do you guys think I could do to nail my measurements down for my second order? Thanks!

I really like this shirt. I see what you mean about the extra width toward the bottom, but I actually don't mind it. I can't know without experiencing this shirt myself, but it seems risky shortening it if you'd still want to be able to tuck it in without things coming untucked. I actually think the tails don't come down too far while wearing untucked, so perhaps shortening is an unnecessary risk. I agree that the sleeves could be elongated a bit, though I think this looks pretty decent before washing.

The collar is great. What did you specify to Luxire for this? What pants are you wearing in the photos? Those seem like a great fit.

Reaction score
I posted this in the Luxire thread, but wanted some more feedback. In these photos I am wearing a Brooks Brothers shirt that I had my tailor modify for me. What should be improved on the fit of this shirt when I send to Luxire for copying? What tweaks do you recommend?

I'd like to shorten the yoke measurement.

I actually think the armhole is a bit wide from front to back (if you look at the profile photo), though I am satisfied with the armhole height. How would I change this without making the chest measurement smaller?

Do the sleeves seem a touch long? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads