1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. bobbynardo

bobbynardo Member

Can you post additional pictures with clear shots of your trousers? Hard to react when panels in elevator's mirror obscure trousers.

2. smilence

smilence Well-Known Member

Got some dress shirts and blazers from different online MTMs, overall I'm satisfied with the fit, but the shirt sleeve is a bit too short, which is not showing enough cuff for me under jacket, that bothered me a lot. And also, a local tailor measured the sleeves for me, both blazers' left sleeve is 1/4'' longer than right, and they are from two different MTM shop, could that be on purpose for watch allowance?? Anyway now I'm facing the problem of whether giving up on the four dress shirts under my jacket because of sleeves being too short, or shortening the sleeves of both blazers.

Any feedback or advice welcome.

Shirt from MTM A:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blue blazer from MTM B:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grey Blazer from MTM B:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mbaltazar

mbaltazar Senior member

Well, I'd say the armpit hole of your jackets/ blazers is quite high, and your shirts have lower armpits. So, when you get the jacket on, the shirt sleeves get pulled, therefore not showing at the other end...

Your jackets sleeves are already quite short, if you shorten them more they're going to look like "T-jackets"... I'd say live with it for the time being.
    The waist is also quite suppressed, not cool... it's looks odd.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  4. nossnevsluap

nossnevsluap New Member

Hello, new member here...

I have just bought my first Boglioli suit, found it on sale for about €400,
    I'm not sure about the shoulders though, do they seem a little big or does it work?
    It's size IT44, so they don't make any smaller suits I think.

Need to know if i should send it back or take it to the tailor and fix the arms, waist etc...

The arms on the pictures are tucked in just to get a clue of the right length.

And sorry for the big paper thingy on the front, can't take that off if I want to return it...

.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

5. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

You and I look the same in an entirely natural shoulder suit, I think. I have found that I must have just a tiny bit of pad; otherwise, I get that big slope, as is showing in your picture. Additionally, the shoulders are too big. Here is the thing on shoulders. You can have them fixed, but it must be done by a tailor with significant actual talent. Some guys just draw the line at shoulders, and I can't blame them. I have done it twice. Once it worked, once it did not. One more thing, when it does not, it really does not.

6. nossnevsluap

nossnevsluap New Member

Wow thanks for a fast reply! Maybe I'll send it back then, doesn't trust the tailor I use to go to enough.

7. mbaltazar

mbaltazar Senior member

Being straight and honest, send it back.

The shoulders are off, there is excess cloth all over your chest, you folded the sleeves... way too many alterations to make it decent.

8. smartie-pants

smartie-pants Well-Known Member

where the shirts unbuttoned - that should give you 1/4" of cuff.

9. Alphasuit

Alphasuit New Member

H ard to say for sure based on the pics provided but usually when trousers hug the back of your legs like they appear to be doing it's caused by having, Forward Hips

10. Joe Henao

Joe Henao Member

I have a lower right shoulder than left- It doesn't cause an issue regarding the line of the shoulders, but it does affect the way the waist on my right side drapes. While the waist on my left side falls cleanly and properly, the right side of my waist bunches up a bit and looks a bit off. Can any amount of tailoring alleviate this problem? I can post pictures if need be.

11. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

Hi tailors,

I have this vintage coat altered for erect posture (back shifting). Now there is a slight gap on the collars (bigger on the right. I think?). What are the ways to fix it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is a linen coat I had made locally. As you can see there are alterations needed (huge collar gap). The tailor acknowledged his "mistake in cutting" but is drowning in work right now, but he said he is doubtful the front could be altered that much without complications (lapels might become too narrow...?). Any idea how to circumvent that problem? Would love to hear views of the experienced.
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

12. smilence

smilence Well-Known Member

Thx for the insights here. Do you have any suggestion on possible tailoring can be done with a local tailor?

13. mbaltazar

mbaltazar Senior member

Well, check with your tailor, but what quickly comes to mind is to change the barrel cuffs for double cuffs. It's easily done. Perhaps it elongates a bit your sleeves.

14. varsityreds0123

varsityreds0123 Senior member

I just received several pieces back from my tailor. Could I please get some feedback with regards to fit on the pants?

(I apologize in advance for the quality of the pictures and the background - it was the only place where I could get decent lighting in my apartment!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. ak1229

ak1229 New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hi Everyone! New to the community here. Please can the experts critique and provide feedback/suggestions about my new MTM medium gray suit from Black Lapel.

Out of the box, I feel that the pant is too tight at the hips and thighs. Unsure about the jacket but the style consultant at black lapel seem to suggest the only thing wrong/needs alteration is the collar roll. What do you guys think? Does the jacket and pant need additional alterations or maybe remake?

16. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

^ Better pictures are required. Back lit pictures are very difficult to see detail in.

17. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Hi all,

I have a question that has been bothering me very much.

I bought a jacket - Formosa from NMWA. The vents closed properly and the waist was tight. In the Formosa jackets there is usually plenty of fabric in the center back seam to let out (which is why I can buy them).

My tailor let it out, and I went to see it today. All of a sudden, the vents are exploding out and the back vent doesn't fall over the side panel anymore. Is she doing something wrong or is this just a typical occurance from the alteration?

Thank you SO MUCH if you can help / offer any guidance. I find it so frustrating to spend $1000-1500 on this jacket and all I want is a touch more room in the waist, but I look like an hourglass now.

18. ak1229

ak1229 New Member

Are these better?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

[ending the frequent Style Forum runaround]

The jacket is too small in various ways (including length). The pants, as already, noted are too tight. The suit cannot be tailored to fit properly. That sales associate should be avoided.

20. trailer36

trailer36 Senior member

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on the length of this jacket. I understand the sides and back need to be taken in a bit but that is a simple alteration. I am most concerned with the rear length. I am used to my jackets measuring at 31" but this one is a touch over 30.5. The difference though is that the front balance is a little more pronounced and this one looks like a good length in the front because of that. And to be clear, the vent stitches are still in place here. Please let me know what you all think. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]