• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

OTCtailor

Reaction score
@Despos, Could you please help me with the cause of wrinkling in my sleeves? Is the shoulder too big, or is it a sleeve pitch problem? Thanks!

It's a little too hard to tell. Better pics are needed.

NeedForTweed123

Reaction score
Quote: Great, thanks for all the information. Any idea on a price point and skill level required by the tailor? Because all I have near me is dry cleaners who do basic alterations, and not very good dry cleaners at that. Also, would doing what you recommend remove some of that awkward back rumpling as well or is that a separate issue?

Rory Duffy

Reaction score
Check out Beyond Bespoke in Manhattan, they are known for more complex alterations. Most Dry Cleaners wouldn't attempt an alteration like this as its time consuming. The sleeves will need to be removed, the collar off, rip the shoulders or side seams. Few alteration tailors would see the value of taking on such a task. Shortening sleeves and hems is easier to make a quick buck.
If one charged $20 to let out a pair of trousers and this alteration took 15 minutes what do you charge for an alteration that takes over an hour or two with a greater chance of something going wrong and having to repeat the alteration to please the client. Better for them to let out trouser waists all day than shorten back balances.

Last edited:

Rory Duffy

Reaction score
If you have wrinkles in the sleeve and want to check for pitching issue, rotate your arm forward. If the wrinkles disappear then a high pitch is the issue and the sleeves should be rotated back.

thebuster

Reaction score
Hi,

got my first luxire shirt last week. I'm not completely satisfied with the fit, but its ok for the first order.
But see for yourself:

For the next shirts I would modify the measures as follows:
  • Shoulders seem a bit too wide, so decrease the shoulder width by ~ 1,00
  • Especially in the back of the shirt there is too much fabric imo, so remove some fabric by reducing waist & lower back measure (same effect that you get when adding darts to this shirt), maybe by 0,50 - 1,00
  • The arms are too wide, especially the upper arm / biceps measure I would reduce by 0,50 - 1,00 inch (diameter)
  • Maybe increase the chest width by 0,25 (not sure about that)

Do you think my observations are reasonable?

What do you think about the fit? What other suggestions do you have? What about shirt / sleeve length?

Thanks in advance,
thebuster

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@Despos
  I need your help! I have a plaguing problem with my shoulders on my jackets. There is something wrong with my right shoulder that always causes a divot, even when the left shoulder is fairly clean. My right shoulder is the one that is the major problem every time and can be illustrated in some of the following jackets. The first is a new suit I recently purchased and I believe is accentuated by the fact that the shoulders are a bit too big to begin with. I have typically tried to compensate for this issue by buying jackets that are more narrow in the shoulders. They seem to look a little cleaner to me.

I also have trouble finding jackets that fit in the hip area due to my prominent seat, but I feel the shoulders issue is much more important. Am I doomed to being unable to wear RTW? Are there easy fixes to the new suit I have or any of these jackets? I have many jackets and am dissatisfied with the fit on nearly all of them. Jackets that are slim enough in the shoulders to accommodate my slope(?) are too short for my prominent seat. Jackets that are long enough aren't typically as flattering and have too wide shoulders. I'll keep looking, but this is so discouraging. I don't think I can afford bespoke, or I would drive down to your shop and get this solved! Thank you for any feedback you can provide.

Sleeve resolution with bonus visual aid

Solid lines are the original sleeve, broken lines are the adjustment to fix the issue. The amount needed to reduce the crown on the sleeve will vary on each jacket. Some need to be reduced at the top of the sleeve more than others. This fixes the wrinkles on most sleeves, it's not always about rotating the sleeve.

luv2breformed

Reaction score

Solid lines are the original sleeve, broken lines are the adjustment to fix the issue. The amount needed to reduce the crown on the sleeve will vary on each jacket. Some need to be reduced at the top of the sleeve more than others. This fixes the wrinkles on most sleeves, it's not always about rotating the sleeve.

Thank you so much! So shoulder width is not the primary issue at play here, but rather shoulder shape? Can these issues be easily altered or is an excellent tailor needed? Do I need to go bespoke? Thanks!!!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@Despos, Could you please help me with the cause of wrinkling in my sleeves? Is the shoulder too big, or is it a sleeve pitch problem? Thanks!

Same answer as the diagram above

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not the shoulder, it's the sleeve

Thank you so much! So shoulder width is not the primary issue at play here, but rather shoulder shape? Can these issues be easily altered or is an excellent tailor needed? Do I need to go bespoke? Thanks!!!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I thrifted these two Brooksgate jackets, both fit comfortably, but I have issues with the center vent pulling open on both of them even though I feel no straining anywhere in the jacket. The backs also seem to be messy, especially on the navy blazer. Any advice on what needs to be altered and by how much?

Here are before and after pictures of an open vent and the effect from shortening the back. This was pinned to show the result.

After pinning up the back by 1" to shorten the back balance

Last edited:

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Quiet weekend Chris?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Busy day for me. Columbia got in touch this week for the screening so I'm in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics