1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. DThomas

DThomas New Member

I have similar problem (your doesn't look as severe as mine though) with good fitting shoulders, neck and front but a back that has vertical bunching. I got some suggestion, have a look at last post on page 391 from Depos.

1 person likes this.
  2. jsant09

jsant09 New Member

Edit: Took this suit to my tailor. She said the jacket length is alright as is, and would cost $65 to shorten. In her opinion, it's not worth it. She's shortening the sleeves and I'm sleeping on the decision if I want to go ahead and shorten the jacket. It's for my wedding, so of course I want to look as good as possible. What do you guys think?

Also, she hemmed the pants already but looking at them now they seem a bit too baggy? If so, how can that be fixed?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  3. TheloniusDrunk

TheloniusDrunk Senior member

So here are my new pair of Luxire trial pants, was hoping for some educated input (@Despos ) to tell me how I can best alter these to not be so restrictive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want about 1"-1 1/2" all around in the seat area - is that as simple as specifying each measurement with that extra room (e.g. hip + .75", front rise + 1.5", back rise +1.5" etc.) or does the sum of all those affect the fit more than just adding measurements would seem?

Also I think I need to add at least .5-1" of space in the thigh, knee, and ankle opening areas. Any input would be greatly appreciated and well received.

4. mk nautilus

mk nautilus Member

This is my slim sharkskin suit from T.M.Lewin. My first foray into the world of smart clothing, I'm after any advise on fit and alterations.
    [​IMG]
    I'm 6'2, 170lbs, and the jacket is a 40L. Whilst my shoulders seem to fit perfectly, I feel the body of the suit is a little tent-like (I have a 31" waist). Whilst I'm at the tailor having the waist taken in, is there a anything else I need to be made aware of?
    How is the fit?

Thanks

5. DavideMiguel85

DavideMiguel85 Senior member

I find it hard to judge the shoulders/chest because of the lower angle, but are you confident it is the right size here? It seems a little off shape on the chest/shoulders, but this could be the lighting. Did you try a 38L?

I'd be cautious with waist suppression unless you are confident the shoulders and chest are perfect, as you may end up with something even worse. The actual shape looks okay as it is.

The cuffs need reducing.

I wouldn't discredit TMLewin as I do have a sports jacket from them which is one of my favourites and fits great, finished really well, but the suit is quite generic, so if you're not happy don't rule out looking elsewhere.

6. mk nautilus

mk nautilus Member

Thanks, That's great feedback. The 38L was too tight across my shoulders, it was restricting. I don't feel as though the 40L fits fantastic, but for my shoulders (which I understand is most important/ hardest to alter)

7. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

I recently purchased 10 dress shirts of outstanding quality that fit me superbly, with the exception that the arms are about two inches too long. I was offered a price that was unable to be refused, so despite the sleeve length issue, I bought. As I am learning how to do some alterations myself (because its fun and I like learning) I had planned on practicing on some old shirts and then doing the alteration myself.

Presuming there is enough fullness in the upper arm, can I do the alteration from the shoulder? Is this exponentially harder than removing the cuff, placket, etc and putting it back together? Thoughts?

@Despos and any other tailor who'd like to warn me of pitfalls.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  8. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

it will work better if you remove the sleeve placket and shorten from the cuff.

make sure you allow for shrinkage before shortening.

if you find it too daunting, i can give you the name of a woman who will do a great job.

9. JamesNiven

JamesNiven Active Member

I'm planning on buying the Benjamin sartorial tuxedo from Ehaberdasher. I'm 5'6" and usually wear a jacket of 29.25" boc to bottom length. The 38r is 28.75" long and the 38l is 30" long. I usually wear a 23.75" long sleeve. The sleeve length on the 38r is 26" and 27.5" on the 38l. The sleeves come without buttons and surgeon cuffs can be added. Which size do you guys think I should get. I fit bb fitz 38s well.

10. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

5' 6" is a short.. not a regular..

and working buttonholes on a tuxedo is not necessary

11. JamesNiven

JamesNiven Active Member

I thought that you should go by measured size? The buttons aren't attached so how much can I shorten the sleeves if needed?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  12. beyondmars2020

beyondmars2020 Senior member

I'm not a tailor nor an expert, but your height generally corresponds to a short jacket size.

Your body proportions (eg an unusually long torso) or personal preference could affect your sizing, but it'd be very unusual for someone your height to be well suited for a long jacket.

EhaberDasher makes excellent products and accepts returns, so you're probably best off ordering both jackets, plus the short if available, and seeing which fits best.

13. JamesNiven

JamesNiven Active Member

Usually I do fit short sizes like the 38s fitz bb which has a 29.25 length.

14. nblogical

nblogical Member

Seeking: Fit check and advice on Combat Gent slim fit suit, 36S, charcoal.
    Stats: 5'7'', 145lbs, average/slim build
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can tell, the camera angle is angled down slightly.

Full album (360 degree view): http://imgur.com/a/5fyBm

Personal thoughts: shoulder pads too big, side sleeve wrinkle (how to fix this?), hows the jacket length?, content with sleeve length, 34S or 34R might be too tight on the chest area
    Need feedback please!
    Thanks.

15. RichardHarrow

RichardHarrow Member

I know the price point for their stuff is very attractive, but you should shop around a bit more. It's not that flattering on you and I'm not sure a tailor can do much to help this out.

16. nblogical

nblogical Member

Thanks for the feedback. Can you tell me a little more about what's wrong with it? I'm visiting the tailor Tuesday, so I want to see if the tailor brings up the same points. If not, I'm going to bring them up and see what he says.

17. RichardHarrow

RichardHarrow Member

Shoulder divots look pretty prominent. The average person probably wouldn't know otherwise, but it is signs of a suit that doesn't really conform well with your upper body.
    Quote:
    Taken from here. http://threads.dappered.com/showthr...r-Divots-What-actually-causes-shoulder-divots

Try another maker. You can do much better than this. Unless you're in dire need of a suit, but IMHO if you can spend a bit more, definitely shop around some.

18. Hawberry

Hawberry Member

One thing you can do is to have a tailor change the sleeve pitch. The reason that the sleeves are bunched up in the back is that your arms are hanging further back than the angle at which the sleeves are attached to the coat.

19. nblogical

nblogical Member

Thanks for the positive feedback! I've already started looking into SuitSupply as I've heard some positive reviews about them. Seems like I'm going to have to return it. I want to see if changing the sleeve pitch will help it at all. I wish this suit could work out as I only got it for $136!

I will have the tailor look at if changing the sleeve pitch can help it at all.

20. RichardHarrow

RichardHarrow Member

I have two suits coming in from SuSu tomorrow, both in the York fit. I'm thinking these will work well for my needs, i just hope they fit correctly!