1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

Thanks, Despos. Does this problem happen with prominent butt/ hollow waist mostly? I am 6ft; a 31.5-32 length is usually sufficient, but this one is a 32.25. I was under the impression that I need longer jackets to cover my bottom; but I guess this has more to do with the way the back is shaped rather than the numerical length? Also, would you say that the numerical length itself (32.25) is fine for 6 ft, or would a longer jacket look better?

2. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

The back is long in relation to the front length not overall length. It's a balance issue. This jacket may be tight on the hip but not enough can be done by letting it out to correct this especially since the cause is jacket balance. Center vent jackets are harder to fit and this is the reason why. Maybe not harder to fit but more sensitive when the jacket front/back balance are off

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  3. SnowSwat

SnowSwat Member

First iteration of online MTM. I have already circled some possible areas on the jacket. Any feedback/recommendations would be much appreciated. Given the shoulder issue, especially on the left side, I plan on getting a remake. Please ignore the fact that I forgot to remove the thread from the jacket's vents.

As well, what do you all think of the jacket length? Could it afford to be slightly longer?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. elstinnett

elstinnett Well-Known Member

I'm looking for some assistance diagnosing the issues with my most recent MTM trouser purchase. I have a couple of fit issues that seem to regularly cause issues with my MTM fits: prominent butt, prominent thighs, and bowed legs. Hopefully these pictures are clear enough to elicit some advice for future MTM purchases as well as getting these cleaned up by my local tailor. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

Thanks a lot!

6. jsong812

jsong812 Active Member

I'm trying to order a pair of MTM trousers and was going to use these Howard Yount trousers as a starting point but I obviously need some adjustments to clean up the back. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Chaconne

Chaconne Senior member

Can these pants be saved? Superb fabric, exquisite detailing but the inseam is huge on me. They were pretty expensive to begin with so I am wondering if the alterations are going to be worth it or if I should just return them and find similar ones that fit better from the start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. greger

greger Senior member

Why do you have your hands in your pockets when asking this question?

9. Chaconne

Chaconne Senior member

Damn! You're right, sorry. I was trying to show how big they are and ended up, not...

10. Michael Balzer

Michael Balzer New Member

Thoughts on the fit of this suit jacket? I'm planning on shortening the sleeves but what I'm most worried about is a shoulder divot. If the shoulder's aren't right I'm going to exchange this jacket for a size smaller.
    A[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. desastre

desastre Active Member

^^ You should unbutton the bottom button and post pictures where most of the jacket isn't hidden.

12. Askel

Askel Member

Hi

I tried out a suit in a store when I was visiting a town about 100km from where I live. The staff showed me this one and thought it suited me well (and so did I). They send it to a tailor to make the waist a bit smaller and then shipped it to me. When I tried it on now the shoulders feel to wide. I know that I have to shorten the sleeves but I want opinions on the shoulders.

I emailed pictures to the storeowner and said I wanted to change the jacket for a smaller size to get the shoulders to fit better, but he claimed that he thought the jacket wasn't to big over the shoulders and because it had been taken in at the waist they would not change it for another size.

Are the shoulders to big? In that case, is there anything to do about it or should I just buy another one in a smaller size?
    On image 4 & 6 I think they look ok, but on the other images i think they look to big.
    In reality though it's hard to make it look like 4 & 6 and the shoulders are very marked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best regards
    Askel

13. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    Something went very wrong with the proportions of this MTM suit jacket. It fits me like maternity gown.

I'll be taking it back to the maker in a few days, and I'd like to know the correct tailoring terminology to describe what went wrong. I have a feeling that this problem, whatever it is, can't be fixed with alterations, but I'll gladly accept advice in that area, too.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Ttailor

Ttailor Senior member

i am not sure these can be saved. I do not have extensive knowledge of MTM, but perhaps start by looking for an athletic cut if one exists. Full thighs, need more fabric in front, full seat needs more fabric in back with likely two darts not one and you need more thigh circumference so longer back fork....basically a whole different pattern than perhaps is available from this maker/style.

15. Ttailor

Ttailor Senior member

Unflattering. Not a balanced silhouette.
    Fronts look like they are one size and backs another! Fronts too small/ too tight/too narrow, not enough fabric where you need it.
    Sleeves become too tight, you should not see the fullness of the upper arm through the fabric, in fact the whole upper front looks pasted on.

1 person likes this.
  16. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Welcome to the forum, Askel. I moved your post over here so you can get some help. It's pretty clear to me that the shoulders are too big, but I'll let the experts chime in.....best of luck.

17. Askel

Askel Member

Thanks. I just saw this thread a few minutes ago so the images doesn't follow the instructions completely. My sister works with a tailor and I'll check what she can do. But probably I'll have to sell it and buy one that fits better from the start. Either that or put in the money to let the tailor make this one fit perfectly. I had issues finding a size that was wide enough in the arms and not look like a second skin.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  18. jdtjib

jdtjib Member

Hey

This may be a bit off topic, but as it is a question for a tailor, I hope it is OK.

Tailoring is extremely expensive where I live. You have to expect to pay about 80-100 $ to taper and hem a pair for trousers. 10-15 $ to reattach a button. Therefore I have experimented a bit with some DIY-alterations.

Hemming is easy. Tapering trousers is harder. Even though I can make the trousers tighter quite easily, I do not know how to make a nice hem.

The picture illustrates the problem. This was just a fast workup, but the problem remains even if I use a machine and iron it. How can I make a clean hem like the one that the factory made? Do I need special equipment or can I do it with a ordinary sewing machine? Should I sew the hem from top to bottom, and not only from the knee and down, to avoid the obvious contrast like the one in the picture?

[​IMG]

19. 444gsp

444gsp Member

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the world of tailoring and suit fits, please could you critique the fit of this suit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

Thank you for the detailed feedback. I am hoping the maker will see fit to start over again instead of trying first to improve the fit with alterations.