1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior member

Because most people with more forward shoulders will usually have more prominent and wider blades, right?

I mean, I have this exact build. Relatively flat chested but broad back and rolling forward shoulders.

2. greger

greger Senior member

That is because your back is rounded from armhole to armhole making a longer length and to keep the circumference the across chest has to be shorten. It is always give and take or a larger or smaller circumference.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  3. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not necessarily.

4. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

So I guess my plan to buy something I know fits me well - other than the forward shoulders bit - and then get the shoulders shifted is moot then because there isn't enough allowance most of the time?

5. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

It isn't any easily executed adjustment and the result of all the effort may not be significant. It is a time consuming job to do on a finished jacket and the amount of improvement uncertain.

6. mainevent330

mainevent330 New Member

Looking for advice..I got some button down shirts as gifts. They all kinda fit like this, different brands. This one is Benson, size medium, regular fit.

If I were to take it to a tailor, what would i tell them to do for a better fit? I could wear tucked or untucked.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Hey mainevent, I moved your post over here so these guys can help you out. Welcome to the forum.

1 person likes this.
  8. mainevent330

mainevent330 New Member

okay sorry I am new to the forum

9. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

No need to apologize! I just wanted to get you where you can get the most help.

10. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

What a champ :]

11. IDvsEGO

IDvsEGO New Member

Was browsing a local department store and found some medium casual blazers. They only go down to a 38R (my usual size) but the shoulders felt a little broad so I wanted some feedback.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. desastre

desastre Active Member

This is an MTM jacket and trousers from a local tailor. It's my first attempt at MTM. I would welcome feedback on the jacket, trousers and shirt if possible. Thank you.

For reference, I am 5'8" (with these boots on) and 150 lbs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Zippie1jets

Zippie1jets Member

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance for the help. After getting a MTM suit for my first "official" suit after some failure with OTR suits (thanks to your guys help pointing out some flaws)..

For my second suit, tried SuitSupply again to see if I can save some cash, plus got some nice features (i.e. super 130s wool) that would be a lot more MTM.

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...n2=styleFit&prefv2=Classic-Sienna&prefv1=Grey

Question is...how does the suit below look? Worth bringing it in for alterations (i.e. sleeves, chest, pants) or should I just return it and go MTM again?

Any tips on what to request if I go to tailor?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. EverettHyken

EverettHyken New Member

I lurk around this forum all the time, and I'm SO thankful to have found this thread. I'm a Chicagoan, and I have a BIG question. Eric, at The Tailor Shop off LaSalle usually does all my work. He couldn't however solve this. Maybe he just didn't want to be bothered...he gave the lapel a quick press (I wasn't aware lapels were to be ironed)

It's a basic Jack Victor, Loro Piana 130's

I really hope we can diagnose this!

I feel as though it might be the button, but I've replaced it twice now to no avail...

[​IMG]

15. EverettHyken

EverettHyken New Member

For my second post, I can give some advice too I suppose! Don't buy JCPenney blazers and suiting unless it's under $100. If you work a little harder, you can find far better quality for the same price.

16. IDvsEGO

IDvsEGO New Member

Agreed.... But these are $18 after clearance and stacking coupons.

1 person likes this.
  17. EverettHyken

EverettHyken New Member

Oh, well in that case, who cares if they're a little off? For that price anything you invest in tailoring is just gravy! If they have the same jackets in 38S get those instead. Otherwise just have the sleeves shortened and the blades/side seams taken in.

You should definitely have someone cut the cuffs and add functional button holes too. For 80 bucks you can make it look custom! No one will be the wiser.

18. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

I picked up a sport coat with working buttonholes and the arms are slightly long. I don't trust my tailor to alter the sleeves from the shoulder (and don't want to spend the $) so was wondering if it's:

• an easy fix to shorten from cuff
    • enough room if I need approx 0.5" shorter

Below are pictures of the cuff from outside and folded up to show the inside. It's about 1.5" from the last button to the end.

Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

The front-back balance might be slightly off. The collar roll needs to be fixed. The pants seem to need some letting out at the seat and don't hang well at the hamstrings. Posture might be the cause of all that. There's potential for a good end result, though the pants might be stuck at their slightly short length. Edit: local tailor, huh? More people should do that instead of ordering remotely, which almost never ends well.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. qcomp

qcomp New Member

This is my first MTM attempt. My main concern is the jacket. When I first received the suit, there was considerable pulling around the front button and a bit of collar roll in the back. The jacket was let out approximately 2.75" from the center and side seams to fix the pulling. The collar roll was fixed by pushing the excess fabric up under the collar. The pulling and collar roll are gone, however, now the back of the jacket appears to be too baggy and sliver of felt is showing beneath the collar.

Input would be greatly appreciated! For references I'm 6' 0" 175lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]