1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. BD22

BD22 Senior member

I'm not sure why you're including the prices and brands if you're looking for a critique of fit, which isn't "right" on this suit.

The proportions are inappropriate for workwear (pants are too short and narrow) and the shoulders are not properly oriented and slightly too narrow for your body (see wrinkles at sleevehead, around the gorge in the front and across your traps in the back).

2. Portabiti

Portabiti Well-Known Member

Thank you very much. So all in all this suit (with alterations) could be a keeper? Definitely going to return the shirt.

3. sding

sding Member

Hello. Long-time (mostly) lurker on Styleforum. Great resource. I've recently been dipping my toes into MTM and trying to get the "perfect" shirt fit. My recent effort:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I have a bit too much room in the back (though the waist in the front feels good, particularly when I sit down). I'm not sure what to do about that. Perhaps too big in the upper arms as well?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Jacket sleeves are too long. You need to fix that. You are getting the pants hemmed.......right?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  5. Pb924

Pb924 Senior member

what kind of shoes are those?

6. BD22

BD22 Senior member

If the pants can be fixed then I'd keep it, with emphasis on "if."

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  7. thehaven22

thehaven22 Well-Known Member

X-post from the Ask A Question thread. How is the fit of my sport coat? I am most worried about the shoulders. This is what it looks like right out the box. I plan on taking the sport coat to shorten the sleeves so far, but I'd like feedback on the rest of the fit. Should I keep it or should I keep looking for a sport coat.
    Albumn: https://imgur.com/a/pm5WL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Portabiti

Portabiti Well-Known Member

Meermins. Dark brown calf oxfords from the classic collection.

Yes, I am going to get the sleeves and pant hemmed.

9. CarlosResu1172

CarlosResu1172 Member

Hey guys, so I got this suit to get ready for prom, and it just feels/looks off to me, it doesn't come off to me as the sharpest looking suit.,

any comments on the fit, and if so what should I alter?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  10. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Jackets back looks off, but you bought a suit from Zara... It looks fine for its intended purpose. If you want to look like you're a model in a magazine, be prepared to pay for it.

11. CarlosResu1172

CarlosResu1172 Member

Is there anything I can do with it? (alterations) :( it's my first suit

I was thinking slim the waist-ish? then narrow the arms?

12. Seamless

Seamless Senior member

Those two alterations might cost as much as your suit. Do the sides if you want, I would shorten the sleeves and save up for something better. Also, GQ won't get much love here. Not really what this forum is for. Good luck.

13. CarlosResu1172

CarlosResu1172 Member

It's not really an issue because my cousin owns the tailoring shop so I get it done for free, I just kinda went here so I wouldn't be in the dark anymore, so I would know exactly what to alter, like specifics and stuff? :(

14. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

Hi -

If I need to get more/better lighting, let me know.

I recently got this 'fun' jacket for parties, etc. It's virgin wool with a velvet contrast peak lapel collar, single button. It is a bit tight in the middle, but I think it might be because the jacket is a little too tight in the bottom-center of my chest.

To the experts, can you take a look and make suggestions? I haven't yet done any alterations, this is just OTR.

Much appreciated...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Hello gents, how much should you lengthen a suit jacket without expecting balance to really be thrown off?

16. mljs54

mljs54 Senior member

Need some help communicating with my tailor on the trousers he just made me. Would like a slimmer fit.

[​IMG]

17. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Tell him that you would like a slimmer fit........:teach:

1 person likes this.
  18. mljs54

mljs54 Senior member

I can't seem to get my point across by saying just that. The thigh/bottom feels way too wide. Waist and length feel ok. One issue is that the pant bottoms are flapping all over the place when I walk.

Also, I don't know how best to describe this but the back bottom of the hem doesn't sit "flush" with the back of my shoe - I don't know if it should or not but the near 1" of spacing seems too much. I'm not sure if that's intentional or a result of the thigh/leg being too wide?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  19. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

Seems to me your pants are too short. Are you looking for a "guardsmans" hem?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  20. BD22

BD22 Senior member

Your first problem is that the trousers need to be let out around the calves. Notice the slanted pulling both up from the calves toward the knee and down from the calves to the ankles. Once you fix that problem, the hems should fall a bit lower. Once you narrow the cuffs a bit, the flapping problem should be resolved.

If you feel like you can't communicate consistently with your tailor and are unhappy with his or her current handiwork, by the way, you should try to find a new tailor.