• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Waist is overworked. Release the waist suppression to make the back part over the hips lay more natural. Shape the front parts only to look tapered at the waist.

You have collar roll issue because of your prominent shoulder blades. Left blade more prominent than right and right low shoulder

Last edited:

electrichink

Reaction score
Thanks Despos. I had the tailor pinch in the sides a bit, I guess they overdid it. I'll bring it back to them and have them release it to correct the problem.

gummybear00

Reaction score
Hi,

I ordered a few made-to-measure shirts from offshore. I like the fit, but all of the shirts have a similar issue: the fabric bunches up in the back near the shoulder arm holes.

I've worn other shirts, some of them much larger/looser and none of them seem to bunch up like this. I'm not sure if it's the company's shirt construction or maybe I'm giving them wrong measurements. I ordered the shirt relaxed in the chest so I can easily move my arms. I also told them to reduce the size of the arm bicep by an inch.

What will get rid of the back shoulder bunching? Reduce the yolk by an inch? Reduce chest measurement? Add back side pleats?

Link to gallery with all pictures. Please advise. Thank you!

jediknighttt

Reaction score
Hi guys. Can someone tell me if my jacket is too short? If it is, is it still "acceptable"? (This is the best OTR I could find)

Last edited:

lukejackson

Reaction score

Hey guys, not a great foto but how do the shoulders look on this? Only siZe left, deep discount. Try sat maybe less than half an inch off my shoulder.

lukejackson

Reaction score
Sleeves too short, not enough waist suppression. Your shoulders aren't broad enough to support this jacket in it's current state.

I wouldn't.

Cheers mate. I felt the same. Sleeves were actually too long though -- i rolled them up a bit to see what they would look like. Not working button holes so was just going to get the sleeves taken up. I like them at the length pictured.

Agree on the shoulders though.

Sean McKee

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, here is a shot of just the back. First picture the jacket is buttoned, second picture the jacket is not buttoned.

The half back is way too small which means the coat is too small. You can ask your tailor to let it out but I doubt there is enough fabric left to let it out as much as you need. I can't tell if you truly have a collar roll or if it's puling across your back from being too tight. If you do have a collar roll your tailor can lower the collar and that will take care of that. You may have forward pitch shoulders which can also cause the problems you're having with this coat. If you feel a lot of pressure in the front of your shoulders points it's a good indication of forward pitch. You may be swayback which is causing the coat to hug the small of your back. I know I've said a lot but wanted to give you as much info as possible and it's hard to determine exactly whats wrong from pics. Good Luck

Sean McKee

Reaction score

Hey guys, not a great foto but how do the shoulders look on this? Only siZe left, deep discount. Try sat maybe less than half an inch off my shoulder.
That's a pretty casual jacket...I think the shoulders are fine. There is not indentation below the point to point which would indicate it being too short. I also think the sleeves are fine where you have them...does the jacket feel snug in the overarm area? If is feels comfortable than the pt to pt is good

Last edited:

Sean McKee

Reaction score
Hi guys. Can someone tell me if my jacket is too short? If it is, is it still "acceptable"? (This is the best OTR I could find)

I'd say it's a little short but acceptable. If you're going for the skinny suit young mans suit look it might be even too long but if your going for a traditional look I'd say a little short but again I think it's ok to wear.

shendo

Reaction score
Hey all,

This is a MTM suit I just got and wanted an opinion on the upper back area. There are horizontal wrinkles between the shoulder blades.They said that the wrinkles are caused by collar roll but I thought it was because the shoulders of the jacket are too small for me so the fabric is stretching.

Would a collar tuck fix this? Or do the shoulders have to be let out?

Sean McKee

Reaction score
Hey all,

This is a MTM suit I just got and wanted an opinion on the upper back area. There are horizontal wrinkles between the shoulder blades.They said that the wrinkles are caused by collar roll but I thought it was because the shoulders of the jacket are too small for me so the fabric is stretching.

Would a collar tuck fix this? Or do the shoulders have to be let out?

There is no collar roll. Looks like you have a low left shoulder which is causing the extra fabric under your left arm. Also needs more room in the half back. I think the shoulders or Point to Point is too short,,nothing you can do about that.

blulegend

Reaction score
Hey. Noob here. Just got a "tailored" fit suit from black lapel. I feel like it's a bit too fashion forward for my taste. I usually prefer a slightly conservative look. What is the forum's opinion on fit? Is it too fitted?

shendo

Reaction score
There is no collar roll. Looks like you have a low left shoulder which is causing the extra fabric under your left arm. Also needs more room in the half back. I think the shoulders or Point to Point is too short,,nothing you can do about that.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected, that it's not collar roll.

Could you explain what you mean by "half back"?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads