1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

This is a keeper only if you plan on changing your career path and using it as a painter's smock.

2. NeedForTweed123

NeedForTweed123 Senior member

Well if any exceptionally tall gentleman wants it, I'll sell it.

3. totolino85

totolino85 Well-Known Member

it's weird that it's so long given the shoulders fits you perfectly !

defenetly re-sell it ... notthing you can do about the lenght

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

What the heck do you want us to say? A picture just from the back doesn't really tell any sort of real story. It looks like the shoulders are half decent, but you need to see front and back in order to even start to say if it looks okay.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  5. NeedForTweed123

Exactly. If the jacket was a normal length it wouldn't hang so much. The shoulders, chest, and waist are all spot on. It's the length that makes it bag.

6. NeedForTweed123

Nope, I'm 5'9"!

7. CraigC

CraigC Senior member

The front is fine, my question relates to the bunching around the shoulder

8. Just a guy

Just a guy Member

Not really sure what you're hoping for. If this is a made-to-measure block, then the way that the jacket that they make for you is going to differ from the block will depend on the method that they use to determine what changes need to be made to the block pattern. You can make sure that you've expressed your concern to the person who's measuring you about aspects of the block jacket's fit, but you can't generally tell them that somebody on the internet says that they should do such-and-such.

9. helpmeimanoob

helpmeimanoob Member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  10. vogs

vogs Well-Known Member

Am I here also right for tips, how I can improve the fit of a shirt and a jacket (coat)?

11. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

You can't do anything unless you post pics of the shirt or jacket that is ill-fitting and needs improvement.

12. vogs

vogs Well-Known Member

Ok, at first a linen shirt. The biggest problem I see at the lower back. There is too much fabric. I already tried a shirt with less back width but this lead to the problem, that I got more crinkles at the front because the shirt wasn't able to fall correctly. Would darts probably work better than simply reducing the back width?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Furthermore I would be very glad if you could tell me what you think of my first MTM shirt:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And what's about this jacket? It might be ok if I have to fit thicker layers underneath.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you very much!

13. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

New MtM, second fitting - i.e. first time I'd actually put the suit on; first fitting was measurements to send in to the maker. My tailor is going to let out the thighs a hair. The jacket is pinned for a bit more waist suppression in this photo, and he is going to move the buttons over around 1/8" to allow him to shape the jacket but minimize/eliminate the slight pulling at the waist. The trousers are unfinished; the right leg is pinned to just brush the top of the shoe once hemmed. I go back on Wednesday. Thoughts/suggestions/concerns? Questions I should ask at the next (should be final) fitting? Sorry that the pictures are not straight-on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(And no, that isn't a tie I'd wear with this suit, generally - 3" wide navy would be my go-to.)

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Jacket looks pretty good, but looks like it lacks shape.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  15. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

How do you mean? You would suggest more waist suppression?

I fear it may be that my middle is large relative to my chest :p Or, if I want to be more generous to myself, that I have prominent lats.

16. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

From today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pulling at the buttoning point is an artefact of the pose this time around. It had been resolved to my satisfaction - none when in a neutral pose.

17. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior member

ITG...For MTM, this looks good. Front balance may be a bit short but there is no lapel gaping or severe vent splits due to back being too long. The most obvious signs are that the quarters are too closed. It's not something you can fix with alterations. For the next suit, have the tailor the adjust the posture to more erect. The comment about it "lacking shape" is highly subjective. Go with your gut after wearing this one a time or two and tell your tailor what you think the problems are. Again, this isn't bad for mtm. It's a sign that the tailor knows what he's doing but mtm can take time to get perfect. Even with try on garments it's never perfect the first go around.

1 person likes this.
  18. Gianvittorio

Gianvittorio Member

I have this problem with my jacket...

[​IMG]

The back is too wide o the armholes are too back there?

The front is almost perfect. Spalla camicia, no padded, full canvassed all handmade.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  19. Katt

Katt Well-Known Member

Anyone got an idea of what the problem is with the creasing under the butt?

20. table21

table21 Senior member

Does anyone here know what is causing the folds to appear over my shoulders, I have tried a few mtm shirt places and it seems that every shirt I get from them always has this problem.

[​IMG]