1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

Thanks for the response OTC!

2. hooligan

hooligan New Member

hi, all. cross post with the spoon tailor SF thread, cuz i wasn't sure where best to post. instead of pasting the same post, i'll link to it here: http://tinyurl.com/l8ne7o9

thanks for any feedback!

3. smit388

smit388 Member

I recently got a BB Fitzgerald blazer and a buddy of mine was nice enough to give me a SuitSupply jacket he doesn't wear anymore. Both are 40L and I am 6'3 about 180 lbs. Both of them have some issues but I would like to hear what some of the resident tailors suggestions are regarding what could be done.

First up is the blazer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the jacket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would really like to have these looking perfect so any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

4. LiveandLetDrive

LiveandLetDrive Member

Hello all,

If someone has a moment I'd really appreciate ideas on how to nail the fit of my first MTM suit here, from Black Lapel. Overall I feel like it's in the ballpark but I think it needs some finessing and I have no idea where to begin. I'll be having a tux made for my sister's wedding soon and I want to make sure I get that one spot on, and improve this one as well.

Many thanks, please have a click:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/411171/first-black-lapel-suit-fit-check

5. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

I realise this question may be regarded as falling outside the scope of the thread, in that it a general question without pictures.

However, if 'within bounds', I would be interested in the tailors' opinions on how to determine the proper size for a trouser opening, assuming a conservative non-'slim fit' non-heavily tapered style.* (It would help settle a debate I've been having with someone who favours a heavily tapered look.)

For a US size 8 shoe, around 8.5"-8.75"?

* I.e. not "SF-approved"! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  6. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Perhaps this is more a "style" question than a tailoring question?

In any event, I believe the traditional ('classic') principle was that the trouser should cover about two-thirds of the shoe.

Cheers,

Ac

7. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

Yes, personal taste is definitely a factor. But I suspect the tailors will have views on what is an acceptable range for the style described in my first post. Again, my apologies if outside the scope of the thread.

8. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

for untuckekd you would have to let the waiist measurement out and hip measurement in 1" both ways should do the trick if the shirt was washed at least twice.. sleeves are too short by at least 1/2"+ if washed you need even longer sleeve length. tail length looks ok

9. WhitsunVillein

WhitsunVillein Member

I really like this shirt. I see what you mean about the extra width toward the bottom, but I actually don't mind it. I can't know without experiencing this shirt myself, but it seems risky shortening it if you'd still want to be able to tuck it in without things coming untucked. I actually think the tails don't come down too far while wearing untucked, so perhaps shortening is an unnecessary risk. I agree that the sleeves could be elongated a bit, though I think this looks pretty decent before washing.

The collar is great. What did you specify to Luxire for this? What pants are you wearing in the photos? Those seem like a great fit.

10. WhitsunVillein

WhitsunVillein Member

I posted this in the Luxire thread, but wanted some more feedback. In these photos I am wearing a Brooks Brothers shirt that I had my tailor modify for me. What should be improved on the fit of this shirt when I send to Luxire for copying? What tweaks do you recommend?

I'd like to shorten the yoke measurement.

I actually think the armhole is a bit wide from front to back (if you look at the profile photo), though I am satisfied with the armhole height. How would I change this without making the chest measurement smaller?

Do the sleeves seem a touch long? Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ChandlerBing12

ChandlerBing12 Active Member

Thanks for the reply. The collar is the standard button down collar from Luxire which I think look great without any changes made it it. As far as the pants go, they are a pair of banana republic suit pants that I was wearing at the office earlier that day and I just decided to throw on the shirt to take pictures.

Right now my thoughts are that I am going to increase the sleeve measurement by either .25 or a half inch. Waist seems perfect but I think the body will be more proportional if I take in the bottom measurement by half an inch. Probably going to leave the length of the shirt alone, but this could change as I have emailed Luxire to get their thoughts as well.

12. MacGuffen

MacGuffen Senior member

When my tailor shortened the sleeves 1,5 cm from the shoulders on my jacket, it seems he made the right shoulder roped when he sew it back together. Is there some technical reason for this, or did he just screw up? The jacket had a natural shoulder when I bought it.

Right (roped):
    [​IMG]

Left (correct):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  13. Shirtmaven

you could shorten the yoke an 1" sleeve length is fine. has the shirt been laundered? hips are too tight. look at the pulling at the buttons above your waist. line fullness across the top of the sleeve is normal

14. Shirtmaven

you are micro managing
    do at least 1/2" in the sleeves
    i would take in the hips 1" and let out the waist 1"

15. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

Hey guys, just got my SS tux in the mail. Please let me know your thoughts on the fit, whether I should take it to the tailor or return it. I am a size 46, thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

^^

WTF is going on in the back? Return. ASAP.

17. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  18. facet

facet Senior member

That's your natural stance? You look like you're trying to touch your elbows together in that last pic, it looks very exaggerated.

19. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Yes.

20. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member