The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. miketcooper

miketcooper Active Member

Thanks. Yea I know what you mean about the roll. Several of my current 2.5s feel like the button hole is getting in the way of roll.

2. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

try shaping the buttonhole with your fingers to match the roll.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  3. mfais

mfais Senior member

ive always been curious:

how do i avoid a collar gap on a suit's collar?

4. IsteRed

IsteRed Senior member

A lot off with this jacket imo especially with the shoulders, i can't figure out what exactly,they look huge but my shoulders are even exceeding jacket shoulders is it because of the roped shoulders?would appreciate comments on fit, thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. mfais

mfais Senior member

Anyone? And how to solve it?

6. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

I got this SC made last year and got it without front darts. I didnt like it from the beginning, found it too boxy and am thinking of junking it.

The problems to my mind are

a. roll - It rolls like a 3 roll 2.5 but it is a 2 button. Basically, the lapel roll breaks too high for my taste. I am thinking of getting a third buttonhole done so that I can imagine it to be 3 roll 2.5.

b. Quarters - Look too closed to me now, must be SF groupthink. I am thinking of taking it to the tailor for getting the quarters recut from the lower button down.

What do you think ? Does it look too boxy ? Any general comments, suggestions, criticism ...

Thanks for your help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Huh? That doesn't look the slightest bit boxy to me.

Apart from the quarters, the collar needs to be fixed as well.

Nice fabric, though it strikes me as a suiting.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  8. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Thanks for your comments.

Collar should be OK, will recheck tomorrow. I steam ironed the entire lapel and collar flat before taking the pic as the jacket was totally rumpled. It might be because of that. Will see again, though I would be surprised if turns to be a problem.

Regarding fabric, it is from a Jacketing book by Dormeuil called Krygyz white.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  9. a tailor

pictures please, front back and side, please>

10. vandave

vandave Member

Is there a typical cause? Tight shoulders? If so, is there a typical solution. I have one suit where the suit naturally wants to produce a slight gap. Would smaller shoulder pads possibly help?

11. Juba

Juba Member

The real issue in my opinion is your shirt's sleeve length. Your left hand sleeve length seems to be a bit too long. The overall fit of the suit is great.

As you know, the shirts' sleeves should hit the hinge of your wrist. Anything beyond that will start to create other issues.

12. Juba

Juba Member

The issue is the cut of the jacket. It looks too tight from the back, yet it looks boxy from the front. I would just get rid of it. You could end up spending far more on a jacket that might never feel right no matter what.

The very first second you put a jacket on, and your feeling is: "waw!! this is great" then the cut is made for your body type. But if you have to struggle and rationalize how it can be FIXED to fit you properly, then I would simply keep on shopping.

13. a tailor

there are several typical causes. we could give you #1.. and you pay a tailor to alter ,and its wrong.
    then we can give you #2, same result. then #3 same. then #4, hooray good result .
    but you paid for 4 jobs instead of only one. understand?

14. matsui

matsui Well-Known Member

I picked up this LE Canvas blazer on one of their online sales and I thought it fit great, but when I took it to the tailors get the waist taken in he said it's way too small for me in the shoulders. However, he also advised against hemming up my sleeves on another jacket that went all the way down past my wrist and completely covered my shirt cuffs, so I don't exactly trust his opinion on fit. But I would appreciate a second opinion since I still have the option of returning it.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. jaihoo

jaihoo Senior member

I have a E Zegna sports jacket that I dear much. It has surgeons cuffs (working cuff buttons) - the buttons which for some odd reason (read wear) have chaffed the cloth in the vicinity. surprisingly only one hand. this was barely visible till last fall but now over the past few weeks it has become accentuated to clearly discernible.

I was wondering if any of our smart stylists can come to its rescue and suggest a a little makeover for the cuffs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011