1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Why Am I

Why Am I Active Member

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it. I agree that the button stance is far too high. Maybe my prominent seat threw them off. I don't think it's worth getting a remake when they got it this wrong after spending such time measuring me. I'll be asking for a return. The search for suiting made for the shorter prominent-seated man continues.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  2. beauregard

beauregard Member

Thanks for the insight, OTC. Rolls have been a nagging problem for me with various jackets I've owned/tried. Trying to understand more. Again, thanks for the time.

3. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

hey, that does explain absolutely everything that looked wrong to me but I couldn't quite see the reason for...that's why you're the tailor [​IMG]

4. MacGuffen

MacGuffen Senior member

My post seems to have drowned already in other posts, so I'll try again.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  5. SuitsHarvey

SuitsHarvey Member

But in general the size fits(jacket length? proportions?) and with a few alterations(a bit longer sleeves, less bunching on the pants) it looks decent? Or should I go with a different size?

6. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Hi guys!

I received my first Proper Cloth shirt and I'm seeking your advices as to how I can improve the fit and get perfect measurements stored for futures orders.

I ordered a shirt made with the Ivory fine twill, English spread collar (I would've went with the President or Milano II spread but this shirt was made intentionally to be worn with a black bow tie, hence the classic-er collar), Tuxedo front placket, side pleats and French cuffs (onyx studs and cufflinks not yet acquired so not pictured). I also paid for MOP buttons.

I'll post the pictures first and my comments afterward (please excuse the out of focus pictures, I had no remote control and had to rely on camera timer and luck):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I like:

- Basic measurements are dead on; collar diameter, yoke width, shirt length, cuff diameter, sleeve length, etc., are according to measurements. Collar is a tad loose but I haven't washed the shirt yet and Proper Cloth assures that the collar should shrink ¼-½" which would make it perfect - not too tight, not too loose.

- Fabric feels good for one of their cheaper fabric (95$) and construction is of quality. Please keep in my I don't have experience with higher-end shirts such as Finamore, Barba, and the likes so I can't compare.

- Customer service and turnaround time are perfectly acceptable. Website is a joy to use.

What could be improved:

- There's a lot of excess fabric in the midsection area. Still, I measured myself, got myself measured by my fiancee and double checked our measures. I checked the Slim Fit option so I'm not sure why the fit is so baggy.

- I went with the Normal shoulder insertion but Slim forearm option. It gives the sleeve a too much aggressive taper (IMHO). Since there's some excess fabric in the shoulder area, I may have the shirt remade with the Tailored shoulder fit option. Maybe it will help reduce the sleeve wrinkles in the same time. Should I reduce sleeve length by 1"? I'm afraid that they appear the right length only because the cuffs lay against my wrist bone/hand junction.

- I checked the Normal neck option but I think I should've checked the Backward neck option. There's a bump of fabric that bothers me, as if the yoke regurgitates over the back of the collar. Would checking the Backward neck option (½" or a full inch) would resolve the problem? It's hard to notice on the less-than-stellar blurry pictures I've submitted.

I'll cross-post this post in the seller's affiliate thread to get more replies.

Thanks guys and don't be afraid to hurt my feelings. I'm okay with critics.

7. Tuck16

Tuck16 Member

Hey all,

I would appreciate your thoughts on the fit of this sport coat. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Senior member

Here is my shirt from Proper Cloth. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  9. europrep

europrep Senior member

x-posting from Luxire thread at the suggestion of @mrjester .

Fresco pants from Luxire. I didn't take pics with the purposes of posting publicly, so excuse the t-shirt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Casualguy

Casualguy Member

I just got my first MTM suit in the mail today. Shoulders seem a bit too large, back looks pretty funky and pants thighs a bit full. Any suggestions/comments would be most helpful. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. arglist

arglist Senior member

Hi

I have this MTM shirt which I find fit's rather well (for online MTM). I feel like I should adjust for sloping shoulders AND for forward shoulders to get rid of the wrinkling around my shoulders/neck.

Do you agree and if yes, how much adjustment should I ask for? If no, what else could be adjusted?

[​IMG]

12. oolongtea

oolongtea Member

Hi there,

I was hoping to get some feedback regarding the following shirt and key measurements to change to improve fit

// Untucked
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

//Tucked

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Oolong

13. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

fits well for a self measured shirt. the fabric around the waist is fine. you need to sit down!

14. Shirtmaven

you have sway posture was this accounted for? were you measured for this suit

15. Shirtmaven

not sure how the mttm program works but you have very sloping shoulders with a right low. add 1/2" to the yoke for comfort and an 1" in the chest.

16. Shirtmaven

sleeves are too full hips are too tight. the collar looks huge on you. cuffs too large

17. Casualguy

Casualguy Member

I was measured for the suit and the difference in shoulder height was accounted for. I don't know about swayback posture.

18. StraitUpSuburbs

StraitUpSuburbs Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It's a PRL U.S. Made Club Blazer I got off the bay and it seems to be made of a Jersey type material (I think)
    It's a 40R. I think the sleeves are a tad short but there's excess material, and I might get the sleeves tapered a bit cause they're a little baggy in the upper arm area. I might also get it suppressed in the waist a TINY bit, but I'll let you guys help me with that. The center vent is opening a little bit, so I think it might be at it's max tapering. Also.. these jeans with this blazer? I like the denim and blazer look, and I'd probs omit the Indy's, but overall, yes or no?
    Thanks!
    Edit: Is there something up with the sleeve pitch? Is that's what's causing the weird bunching on the sleeves? Can this be fixed? Will tapering the sleeve like I intended to help at all?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  19. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Hi, these are my three suits/suit jackets from Hong Kong. The 2 button is WW Chan, the other two are Simpson Sin, which is 1/3 the price. On the black jacket in two of the pictures I think the fabric got caught on the my right, but you can see from the other picture it hangs normally.

Would like to know whether significant alterations are required, a general comment on the quality/comparison of quality between the two tailors, as I plan on going to them for more in the future, and if I do, what I should look for for my fittings to ask them to change.

Thanks a lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Displacement

Displacement Senior member

I think this questions might be a bit too broad (foreshadowing pun), but could a bespoke suit made for a guy with my shoulders but a broad pear shape be cut to a more traditional drop 7? The suit I'm looking at has room in the chest piece, but fits across the shoulders and upper back, then gets downright stupid from the chest down.

Here are a couple general pics for reference, sorry they were taken by a salesman who once told me the Kiton shirt I was handling had cardboard in the collar:

Edit: deleted some terrible photos

Last edited: May 2, 2014