• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

DHD28

Reaction score
bfeng, i'd ask for a remake.

the biggest giveway is the way your vent doesn't close entirely. u may even want to consider doing the double vents for a nicer draping effect.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any comments my way? Need help from the experts..

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why don't you post some pictures with your top jacket button done up? Seems odd at 5'10" you are buying 40S as 5'10" is not short. Yes, I think the pants can be tapered a bit at the knees and leg opening.

Thanks for the reply. I did post some new ones with the jacket up after a recommendation from someone else.

Here's the one from the front:

Not sure why I did buy short, just thought it felt better and my gf agreed, I didn't know too much about suits when I purchased it...Does it look quite off?

I even think the pants could be tapered slightly around the thigh as well? 0.5" - 1.0" taper for the whole leg maybe?

theclipper

Reaction score
Anyone else have any suggestions as to how I should have my trial suit altered to fit properly? Any help for this suiting noob is greatly appreciated!

Hey All,

I'm getting married in September and thus I need to finally break down and by my first suit. I'm totally new to the world of suiting, so this is all slightly overwhelming. I still haven't decided on what color to go with; I'm thinking maybe a medium grey or a navy.

I've decided to go with Kent Wang. I recently received my trial suit and had a chance to try it on and take some pics (spoilered at the end of this post d/t size). Since this is my first suit I was hoping for help with advice in regards to what alterations I should have done to get a great final product. I apologize if the pictures aren't top notch. If any other views or close-ups are needed I'd be happy to provide them. I'd greatly appreciate any advice or insight to help me to look fairly put together on my wedding day :)

Here are some of the issues I've noticed thus far:

- The trouser pockets flair out
- The buttoning point might be slightly snug
- I'm wondering if the buttoning point needs to be lowered (my belly button is at the height of the lower button)
- Jacket probably needs to be lengthened some
- Trousers need to be shortened of course
- There is some definite bunching on my upper rear arms and in the small of my back (wondering what needs to be altered to fix these issues)
- Waist of the trousers probably needs to be let out slightly as it is somewhat snug
- I think I'd probably like to open the quarters of the jacket a bit

Thanks much!

Last edited:

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I did post some new ones with the jacket up after a recommendation from someone else.

Here's the one from the front:

Not sure why I did buy short, just thought it felt better and my gf agreed, I didn't know too much about suits when I purchased it...Does it look quite off?

I even think the pants could be tapered slightly around the thigh as well? 0.5" - 1.0" taper for the whole leg maybe?
Jacket a bit short but otherwise it just needs normal tailoring to preference.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jacket a bit short but otherwise it just needs normal tailoring to preference.

Someone mentioned that getting the sleeves shortened a bit would help...I was planning on that anyways, can't see much of my cuff.

Think an 1" taper up the whole leg would be too much? The size of my legs already do overshadow my upperbody, don't want to overemphasize that.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is going on with the my trousers in the area just below my belt buckle? There's some wrinkling/pulling from the first belt loops down to the middle of the fly. Also, the pleats do not lay completely closed even though there is plenty of room in the thighs. Is this acceptable? The outermost pleats, nearer to the pockets, do lay closed, though.

Anyone?

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say there's not enough room at the lower waist/hips (exactly at the point where the pleats gape open). I believe you would benefit from trousers that are slightly looser at the waist and hips, held with braces.

Last edited:

pleco

Reaction score
Something weird is happening with my MTM suit sleeves, can anyone help diagnose? My shirt sleeves are quite slim so I don't think it's the shirt causing it. Can these be widened if necessary?

Could anyone comment on this please? I tried making a thread but due to complexity was advised to ask one of the tailors here. I'd really appreciate it :)

Last edited:

OTCtailor

Reaction score

Could anyone comment on this please? I tried making a thread but due to complexity was advised to ask one of the tailors here. I'd really appreciate it :)

I know it's a lot to ask but you need better pics. Observe and follow the first post in this thread. It'll only help you more later

OTCtailor

Reaction score

It appears to me that the rise is too short in those trousers creating what you normally see in flat front trousers. Instead of gaping pockets, we have gaping pleats. The shorter rise has the fullness occurring too low thus the gaping. You would probably notice it going away if you really pull your pants but it doesn't look like they'd be comfortable to wear there. There really is no fix as that's what pleated trousers are designed specifically not to do. You can't increase the rise which is ultimately the main problem.

Rankiz

Reaction score
Hi, first MTM chinos have arrived, but I still want to tweak it somewhat so it looks more like this:

Here are my chinos, any recommendations?

Last edited:

smoothmoose

Reaction score

Hi, first MTM chinos have arrived, but I still want to tweak it somewhat so it looks more like this:

Here are my chinos, any recommendations?

Luxire navy chinos? Regular or summer weight? Just put an order in for the summer weight.

I'm not an expert but I also have thick thighs, and my tailor made good pants for me. I think you can take the thighs in and taper less down to the knee and hem.

No Clue

Reaction score
Any words of wisdom for a suit noobie? Hoping for some suggested alterations. Much thanks!
Recently bought a new suit, and looking for advice/feedback on the fit and suggested alterations. I'm thinking the sleeves are a little long, and it feels a bit loose in the midsection, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to stuff like this. Thanks style gurus!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads