• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

scatterbrain

Reaction score
I'd probably get some stares.

Going to go with this for now. I'm Irish but it'll still work. Might look good with burgundy half brogues.
Doooo iiiiit!

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey guys, hopefully just a quick question for the awesome tailors responding in the thread :) and I fear I know the answer but....cleaning out the wardrobe I happened upon an older suit I still quite like, the issue is the pants are size 34 and im down to 31 these days, any hope a tailor could work their magic or with that difference is it unlikely to be a good (or possible) result?

Last edited:

OTCtailor

Reaction score
hey guys, hopefully just a quick question for the awesome tailors responding in the thread :) and I fear I know the answer but....cleaning out the wardrobe I happened upon an older suit I still quite like, the issue is the pants are size 34 and im down to 31 these days, any hope a tailor could work their magic or with that difference is it unlikely to be a good (or possible) result?
Well, I'd suggest trying them on and posting pics. It all depends on where you've mostly lost the weight and how the trousers are cut from the start.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OTC -

Here's Luxires suggestion. This is in addition to my pinned picture.

Hi Nathan,
apologies for the delayed reply.

I think you have pinned it perfectly. The pants will look great in a fabric with a little more gravity sensitivity in it.

Without making the rise much bigger, we will let out the fork to remove any tightness in the rear. 1 cm is not a problem.

We should get started.

Hopefully this does something... If not, $198 down the drain between two pairs of pants and I'm stuck looking like I crapped my pants everywhere I go.

coolron

Reaction score
Cross post from the Luxire thread, looking for feedback on the fit of the shirt.

philozine

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm hoping to get some feedback, either from the tailors or other knowledgeable users, about a MTM suit I recently purchased. I'm going for a slim fit with this one, but I think there are some serious issues, particularly with the jacket. My guess is that it needs a remake, but I'm not entirely sure of what to adjust, or by how much. (The suit has not been pressed, obviously; apologies for that.)

Some questions/concerns:

• Shoulders: This jacket measures about 0.5" wider across the shoulders than my best-fitting OTR jacket. Would reducing the shoulder width by 0.5" or so diminish the divoting?
  • Waist: I like slim, but the jacket is too tight around the waist. The photos don't show it well, but there's a noticeable X emanating from the top button. And from the back view, the waist is too "scooped" for my taste. Would adding an inch or two to the stomach measurement help minimize this?
  • Length: My arms are long, so the jacket appears a bit short, but it does seem to cover ****** appropriately. Or, rather, it covers the part of my body where ****** would be, if I had one. Lengthen or no?
  • Back/Arms: The wrinkling around my triceps is a dealbreaker for me. I'm guessing this has to do with the pitch of the sleeve? Is the wrinkling on the sides of my upper back also related to sleeve pitch, or is this a separate issue?
  • Sleeve width: I discovered the sleeves were *way* too tight when I attempted to answer my phone. Felt like I was about to burst a seam. Another dealbreaker. Can this be fixed by adding an inch or so to the sleeve width?

There are some other, more minor issues (neck roll, right sleeve needs lengthening, etc.), but these are the ones I'm most concerned about.

Thanks!

-phil

Last edited:

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm hoping to get some feedback, either from the tailors or other knowledgeable users, about a MTM suit I recently purchased. I'm going for a slim fit with this one, but I think there are some serious issues, particularly with the jacket. My guess is that it needs a remake, but I'm not entirely sure of what to adjust, or by how much. (The suit has not been pressed, obviously; apologies for that.)

Some questions/concerns:
  • Shoulders: This jacket measures about 0.5" wider across the shoulders than my best-fitting OTR jacket. Would reducing the shoulder width by 0.5" or so diminish the divoting?
  • Waist: I like slim, but the jacket is too tight around the waist. The photos don't show it well, but there's a noticeable X emanating from the top button. And from the back view, the waist is too "scooped" for my taste. Would adding an inch or two to the stomach measurement help minimize this?
  • Length: My arms are long, so the jacket appears a bit short, but it does seem to cover ****** appropriately. Or, rather, it covers the part of my body where ****** would be, if I had one. Lengthen or no?
  • Back/Arms: The wrinkling around my triceps is a dealbreaker for me. I'm guessing this has to do with the pitch of the sleeve? Is the wrinkling on the sides of my upper back also related to sleeve pitch, or is this a separate issue?
  • Sleeve width: I discovered the sleeves were *way* too tight when I attempted to answer my phone. Felt like I was about to burst a seam. Another dealbreaker. Can this be fixed by adding an inch or so to the sleeve width?

There are some other, more minor issues (neck roll, right sleeve needs lengthening, etc.), but these are the ones I'm most concerned about.

Thanks!

-phil

Wouldn't change the p2p or if you do, do it out of preference. It's not going to make a difference in fact it would make the divoting likely worse if you go smaller. The divots are occurring because the jacket appears tight across the shoulders and upper back area. That force applies a tug to the back of the armscye causing it to collapse creating a divot. There's a possibility the jacket isnt quite cut right to your posture. Lowering the collar or squaring the shoulders would not fix the collar roll, either. You have a head forward/semi stooped neck. The balance needs to be adjusted for that properly from the pattern stage. Your arms hang semi forward. That needs to be adjusted for, too. It's also possible that the maker's sleeve pattern is archaic and flawed causing it to pucker up like that. The sleeves are a little tight but easing up the waist suppression would probably help. You could ask for 1" of additional ease at the bicep for a fuller sleeve, though.
For a remake, you wouldn't increase your stomach measurement. You'd just ask for an increase in the ease or half girth. Whatever your stomach measure is, add 5" and divide it by 2. That number is what you should measure if you wrap a tape around the jacket starting at the edge of the front flap (either side) and measuring around to the center seam. Most MTM makers should be able to follow your measurement. Adding 1" to the existing half girth would really help. You could possible go even further.
Also, your right sleeve is too short by a solid half inch. The jacket length appears to be fine.
Hope that helps. Any other questions, do inbox me.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
OTC -

Here's Luxires suggestion. This is in addition to my pinned picture.

Hi Nathan,
apologies for the delayed reply.

I think you have pinned it perfectly. The pants will look great in a fabric with a little more gravity sensitivity in it.

Without making the rise much bigger, we will let out the fork to remove any tightness in the rear. 1 cm is not a problem.

We should get started.

Hopefully this does something... If not, $198 down the drain between two pairs of pants and I'm stuck looking like I crapped my pants everywhere I go.
Well, the rise doesn't need to be bigger at all. Letting out the fork at the back is probably not going to help unless the back rise is shortened. It would just add to the fullness already there.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the rise doesn't need to be bigger at all. Letting out the fork at the back is probably not going to help unless the back rise is shortened. It would just add to the fullness already there.
The rise is kind of being eaten up by me rolling up the fabric. If I roll up 4cm, it's too much of the rise. They want to let out 1cm.. make sense yet? Still a bad idea?

philozine

Reaction score

Wouldn't change the p2p or if you do, do it out of preference. It's not going to make a difference in fact it would make the divoting likely worse if you go smaller. The divots are occurring because the jacket appears tight across the shoulders and upper back area. That force applies a tug to the back of the armscye causing it to collapse creating a divot. There's a possibility the jacket isnt quite cut right to your posture. Lowering the collar or squaring the shoulders would not fix the collar roll, either. You have a head forward/semi stooped neck. The balance needs to be adjusted for that properly from the pattern stage. Your arms hang semi forward. That needs to be adjusted for, too. It's also possible that the maker's sleeve pattern is archaic and flawed causing it to pucker up like that. The sleeves are a little tight but easing up the waist suppression would probably help. You could ask for 1" of additional ease at the bicep for a fuller sleeve, though.
For a remake, you wouldn't increase your stomach measurement. You'd just ask for an increase in the ease or half girth. Whatever your stomach measure is, add 5" and divide it by 2. That number is what you should measure if you wrap a tape around the jacket starting at the edge of the front flap (either side) and measuring around to the center seam. Most MTM makers should be able to follow your measurement. Adding 1" to the existing half girth would really help. You could possible go even further.
Also, your right sleeve is too short by a solid half inch. The jacket length appears to be fine.
Hope that helps. Any other questions, do inbox me.

This is very helpful, OTC. Thank you. I'll inbox you after the holiday with a couple follow-up questions.

Tanager

Reaction score
Adventures in clearance rack suit buying continue. I found an elusive 34S for $20, so I figured I would try it out. Any feedback regarding the fit is appreciated.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Adventures in clearance rack suit buying continue. I found an elusive 34S for $20, so I figured I would try it out. Any feedback regarding the fit is appreciated.

For what it is, it can be adjusted to fit generally better but to manage your expectations correctly, it isn't cut right for your body at all. The back balance must be squared off. Needs waist suppression where ever possible. Sleeves need shortened. Don't know what it cost you but those alterations will probably cost more than you bought it for. Unless you're in love with it, I'd suggest returning it for the money you paid and what you would pay with alterations go buy something nicer.

13g411

Reaction score
I have noticed an unatural amount of wear in the crotch region of both pair of suitpants I have. They do not feel tight but maybe they are, is this anything you guys have experienced and do you now of any way this can be mitigated? As of now I would wear out a pair in a couple of months wich does not feel ok.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads