• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

jesPak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by atoms

I feel happy with this suit and just need another pair of eyes to make sure I'm not missing anything grand. I think shoulders could be narrower but it's still within reason, and that pants need to be about 0.5" shorter to remove a slight break in the back (note: I think my left pant leg got caught in the back of the shoe). I realize I don't have all the proper photos so your opinion based on the limitations of these two is valued. This is already back from the tailor where I had sleeves done, collar lowered, pants taken in at waist and hips, and pants hemmed. So I'm more or less happy with where it's at.

-----------------------

No tailor here but in my humble opinion, looks great, dare I say 'perfect'!

Last edited:

GuP

Reaction score
My first MTM proper cloth shirt. I actually went in to get measured. Shirt has been washed once. ThoughtS?

It seems my shoulders are bit uneven and this causes some pulling on the right side - true? Is it me or does it look like there is too much bunched up material in the upper arms? Is the length too short - seems a bit on the short side...

I have their "fit guarantee" - what should I change to make it fit better?

Last edited:

OTCtailor

Reaction score

I can only imagine the difficulty in convincing people to dump the loops. That said, braces with trousers that still have belt loops is one of my biggest pet peeves (unless obscured by a waistcoat). The only thing worse is droopy suit pants caused by people who should be wearing braces.
biggrin.gif
I've got another few pictures of a Kent Wang trial suit, just want to get a few things sorted before I get my order sent off. First off, the jacket: What needs fixing? Obviously the sleeves are a little long and the pitch slightly off, but what about the back? Is it too small around the waist? It certainly feels good at the front but the creases at the back suggest otherwise. I am using this trial suit as a base for a shawl collar dinner jacket. I don't know how much different the fit will be if I take it down to one button, no vents. The pants are somewhat more of a problem. The 32 waist was far too tight around the thighs and seat, these pictures show the 34. Quite loose now, especially at the waist. It it possible to offer any suggestions just from these examples? The following photos are from the size down (32): I would be very grateful for some advice. This is the first time I've had so much control over so many details with MTM so I'd love to do it right.
Please inbox me and I'll get to your specs in a bit.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
To other new posters as well...plz inbox as I'm very busy with outbound work.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys!

Do you think it's expensive to get blazers tailored? I am about to buy two jackets from Suit Supply, and I can already see that the sleeves end up being too long, so I am going to take it to the tailor to fix the sleeves, however the only problem is that the jackets have functional buttons. That means that I have to pay more for get it tailored. It will cost $78 pr jacket. Do you think that is too much? I live in Norway, so everything is bacially more expensive, but to compare with non-functional buttons, it "only" costs $68. So, is it worth to pay $78 for a $300 jacket?

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

Do you think it's expensive to get blazers tailored? I am about to buy two jackets from Suit Supply, and I can already see that the sleeves end up being too long, so I am going to take it to the tailor to fix the sleeves, however the only problem is that the jackets have functional buttons. That means that I have to pay more for get it tailored. It will cost $78 pr jacket. Do you think that is too much? I live in Norway, so everything is bacially more expensive, but to compare with non-functional buttons, it "only" costs $68. So, is it worth to pay $78 for a $300 jacket?
Better have a good tailor to shorten from the shoulder and shortening more than 1" may give a not so great result. Keep that in mind before purchasing.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better have a good tailor to shorten from the shoulder and shortening more than 1" may give a not so great result. Keep that in mind before purchasing.
Oh, I thought of shortening the sleeves with 1.6''. I hope it doesn't end up very bad.

OTCtailor

Reaction score

michaelyork

Reaction score
How is the fit on this suit? Is the fit alright or is it too long, or too big, or? I need to hem pants, get the sleeves done, take off basting thread, etc.
Any advice gratefully appreciated!

gambit50

Reaction score
^^^Actually, I think you are doing alright. Besides the sleeves being too long, your shirt sleeves are too long. The backs of the sleeves on the jacket are not too great but that is the only major issue. Should like quite good for OTR and minor adjustments in terms of fit.

michaelyork

Reaction score
^^^ Yeah, the shirt is a size too large. I need to get the sleeves done, buttons sewn on, etc. I guess I can shorten it them. I have the option of getting surgeon cuffs on these sleeves, should I do it? or is that just dumb? thanks for the reply, man.

gambit50

Reaction score
You want the shirt sleeves to be there they will be before the jacket sleeves are done.
I don't know what surgeon's cuffs will run you but add it to the cost of the suit and does it seem worth it to you?
Surgeon's cuffs are nice when you have wicked fine button hole makers and it is nice when you have bespoke or MTM because it is 'for your arms only'
but I don't think they add so much that they should be a concern until you go beyond a certain level with all else. When going expensive, sure, when not, not worth it. But, hey, it is your suit.
I do not understand why some suit makers put them on for RTW. Makes life much more difficult to get a proper fit.

Also, if someone else chimes in I could see a statement about the jacket being too long but I would ignore that. I think you look right in it with your figure and the level of your pants.
Perhaps a cm shorter would be ideal but do not fret so much about it.
However, I would add not to get your pants done really short as it will throw off the balance. If you copy the favored flavor of the SF times to have your sock showing while standing, well, you are on your own. That look is downright awful for a grown man in a proper suit. Do I care for pants that are very long with an uber sized break? No. But looking like an older child who has outgrown his childhood suit but is still wearing it is not a look to aspire to just the same as the baggy and long look that makes one appear as if he is wearing his father's suit is plain wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics