• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got this Alfani Red suit for under $100. Should I return it or keep it and get it tailored?
You should probably post some better pics, but for under 100 bucks, I'd say the fit is not bad. But unless you really need a suit right away or you can't budget to spend any more, I'd say return it for no other reason than Alfani sucks. But otherwise, after the requisite tailoring (sleeves shortened, pants hemmed), you should have a presentable suit. The jacket might be slightly too large in the shoulders for you, but probably not to the extent that it warrants sizing down. Could just be that they are overly padded, like most cheap department store suits are.

Last edited:

kushburner

Reaction score
The shoulder sticks out because of padding. Is this something a tailor can fix? I wish I can post better pics but all I have it my camera phone on a overcast day.

Thanks for the feedback

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The shoulder sticks out because of padding. Is this something a tailor can fix?

Having a tailor attempt to alter shoulder padding is NOT advisable. I learned this the hard way when I had a tailor try to remove some padding from a cheap Lands' End jacket one time, despite reading numerous times on this forum that such an alteration rarely achieves the desired results. It certainly did not in my case. I don't know why the cheap suit makers (or any suit maker, for that matter) insist on using excessive amounts of shoulder padding; it looks good on no one, and you'd think it'd be cheaper to use LESS padding anyway.

gambit50

Reaction score
Mostly what Flyswatter said. Also, jacket is long. Did you try a size down? Wondering if it mattered or not re: shoulder padding.
If you have time, try a different size or different brand/cut. If not, sleeves, pants hems and you will look OK. Not upper crust SF OK but not completely buffoon style either which you
may throw into your value equation.

kushburner

Reaction score
Hmm looks like I should return the thing and just invest in a nice suit already. Ive been wanting to wait for a good job offer but I can always get it sooner. I'll do some research and see what I can find in the $500 range.

gambit50

Reaction score
Nice. Yes, some research first I appreciate it as I already gave someone a bit of the business about asking an infinitely open question as OP for which there are already too many answers.
Good luck. Oh, and I don't mean not to ask a question. But I think the forums are better off without "What suit should I buy?", barely, if at all, more explicit in form, every page.

Garasaki

Reaction score
So I have a question about what is possible by tailoring slacks.

I thrifted several pairs of wool slacks, which all fit nicely in the waist, but the legs are much too large (ie too large around my leg). They sort of look like MC Hammers parachute pants. My chicken legs don't help.

Is it possible, or reasonable might be a better question, for a tailor to refit the legs giving them a much slimmer fit through the thighs?

OTCtailor

Reaction score

Thanks OTC! The front darts are the "lines" that go from the chest to the pocket? Is it an easy fix? It is full canvas.

Possible, reasonable, and common.

OTCtailor

Reaction score

So I have a question about what is possible by tailoring slacks.

I thrifted several pairs of wool slacks, which all fit nicely in the waist, but the legs are much too large (ie too large around my leg).  They sort of look like MC Hammers parachute pants.  My chicken legs don't help.

Is it possible, or reasonable might be a better question, for a tailor to refit the legs giving them a much slimmer fit through the thighs?

Possible, reasonable, and pretty common.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Sorry about strange reply above. Every time I use the mobile site I have a problem.

Garasaki

Reaction score
Re: De-parachuting pants legs

Possible, reasonable, and pretty common.

Ballpark cost: 10 bucks, 50 bucks, 100 bucks, 200 bucks?

NeedStyleHelp

Reaction score
I've been waiting to make this post for awhile now.

Looking to get some great advice from everyone here.

The first suit I'm going to post (grey suit) I would like to know about what alterations I should consider in the jacket. I know the sleeves for sure, and am thinking about taking it in a bit. Any thoughts? I am also contemplating putting on a ticket pocket.

As for the pants, I obviously need them hemmed, I am thinking of doing a 2 inch cuff with little to no break. Thoughts?

For the second suit (blue suit) I am looking for suggestions on the jacket. It is not a great suit (Calvin Klein, before I found Styleforum), but I still think it likes good, and warrants a better fit.

Any additional suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Grey Suit:

Blue suit

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads