1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Veridis

Veridis Well-Known Member

That is a good point you mention, like you I would prefer the jacket to be at least a bit longer than the sleeve. If I take the sleeve up 0.5" I think it is possible to take the jacket up another inch. I may have it tailored instead if it is an easy fix.

Now that you mention it, I think I should really try a pair of suspenders or go beltless...

2. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior Member

Expecting delivery of a unconstructed sportscoat with spalla camicia shoulders with working cuffs.

Assuming it fits everywhere else, do the spalla camicia shoulders (as opposed to more conventional shoulders) present any problems for a tailor to adjust sleeve length from the cap?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

3. katabatic

katabatic Senior Member

I had the sleeves of a Suit Supply Sienna (which has the spalla camicia) adjusted at the shoulder (by Andreas Gorges in San Francisco), and it came out beautifully - I can't tell the difference between the factory-attached shoulder and the alteration (aside from the fact that it fits better now, of course).

Obviously, it costs more, but it shouldn't present any particular problem for a skilled tailor.

4. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior Member

FYI I will be in Harrisburg next Friday the 19th for various appointments. PM me if you're interested in catching up.

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

Tailors,

I got this SC back from my tailor yesterday, he did some minor waist supression. But my sister told me yesterday that she thinks in the chest area looks big. And with the fisrt pic I think she's right, what do you think? Could that be an easy fix?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. evpj2L

evpj2L Well-Known Member

I'd greatly appreciate feedback on my latest attempt at a MTM OCBD. Thoughts on overall fit?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior Member

Could just suppress the front darts...will give shape to that area. It is limited, though. Also if its full canvas there has to be an adjustment to the canvas too

8. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Distinguished Member

I'm not a tailor but I'll comment anyway: fit looks pretty good, though there is some unsightly pulling at the third button from the top (first buttoned button). Perhaps a tailor can comment as to how to remedy it, but my guess is it's a bit too tight in the chest. Also odd that while the collar points seem fairly long, there is no roll whatsoever. Perhaps the collar buttons need to be moved up about a quarter of an inch or so.

9. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior Member

It looks a little short. Next one you do just measure from the highest point of your trap muscle straight down to the base of your crotch. If you plan to wear it mostly tucked in then it should be close to the length of A jacket. If not tucked, the tails should def be shallow like they are now. So are you wearing this untucked or tucked. Right now it looks like it would fairly easily come untucked with a little bit of movement.

10. nautikal

nautikal Well-Known Member

Based on the direction of pulling, it looks like the shoulder needs to be cut more square. evpj2L, try forcing your shoulders down a bit to see if that alleviates some of that pulling.

See here. Get a tailor's advice too (I am not one).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013

11. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

Thanks OTC! The front darts are the "lines" that go from the chest to the pocket? Is it an easy fix? It is full canvas.

12. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior Member

It should be for a decent tailor. The canvas does complicate things a bit tho.

13. eluther

eluther Senior Member

If you don't want to have to tuck the shirt in its fine. Looks like a Gitman Vintage-style oxford. I always have to tuck mine back in after sitting down if I'm wearing jeans, but it's fine with trousers.

14. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior Member

one has a higher rise than the other most likely.

15. kushburner

kushburner Senior Member

delete

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013