1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior Member

Fair enough, all I was talking about was maybe .5-1cm off in the upper arm.

Feet look huge due to the dodgy photo, using a leaning mirror and poor angles. I'm actually only a size 8UK :D

Pants really do feel very baggy in certain points, the lower thighs and calf especially. It was hard to photograph how baggy they are. I believe good fitting pants should compliment and silhouette your legs, without being too tight of course. Agree on the shortening of the length, I'll be adding a cuff and changing up the hem to deal with that.

2. totolino85

totolino85 Well-Known Member

from pics I'd also say kep the shirt as it is! it fits you perfectly.

The trousairs from what I can see, they're way to long but I'd not slimmer them up. I like also skinny trousairs but more than that it gets unconfortable to wear :)

3. coneymilemind

coneymilemind New Member

Gentlemen,

This suit jacket's fit has several problems, but I'm interested in your take on the sleeves:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is significantly more wrinkling on the right than on the left. It's not from a particular pose. Any ideas on might be the cause of this? Many thanks

4. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Distinguished Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    can this cotton sportcoat be altered to look/feel more casual by just removing the shoulder pads and taking in the shoulders a bit to compensate?
    has anyone tried something like that?
    difficult to get good results?
    even if possible, is it going to be cost prohibitive?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013

5. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Distinguished Member

It's look as casual as it should, IMO. All you need to do is shorten the sleeves a tad.

6. harryk387

harryk387 Member

Quote:Originally Posted by harryk387 [​IMG]

BEFORE:

[​IMG]

AFTER: I had the pant leg tapered a few weeks ago, but i think i want to have them widened just a little bit. Thought?

[​IMG]

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I'm afraid your tailor has overestimated his ability to work magic. The proportions of the jacket are off, including pocket placement, and the newly closed quarters are not an improvement. I do think that the shorter length is better for overall proportions, though.

EDIT: If you can tuck the pocket flaps, try that to see if it looks better with besom pockets.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013

8. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior Member

It definitely looks better than it did. Yes the proportions are off but it looks pretty good despite that. Maybe not "sf approved" but who cares what sf thinks? You won't get it much better than that is what I'm trying to say no matter how much we pick it apart on the forum. Go and wear your suit proudly and save your money for a nice custom job down the road. You look better than 95% of the guys out there.

9. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Distinguished Member

+1. Hardly an improvement. A change, for sure, but not necessarily for the better. The completely closed quarters look horrible, and only accentuate the too tight chest and gaping lapels. The ridiculously structured/pointy shoulders aren't helping matters, either. Just one more example of how buying used suits on eBay rarely results in a positive outcome. Unless you're willing to accept drastically sub-par fit, I'd consider that suit a write-off and an expensive lesson.

10. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Distinguished Member

(double-post again)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013

11. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Distinguished Member

Buying online without trying on first is a recipe for disaster, yes. However, that suit definitely has been improved, and the chest tightness would almost disappear if the vest were removed. The collar area still needs work.

12. OIx

OIx Well-Known Member

Hi,

this is RTW suit (Massimo Dutti, 46 Italian) which was taken to proper tailor for some alterations... This one is probably one of my better fitting suits for now, I will post others to be challenged... I plan to go for bespoke and would like to use this suit as a reference

From the back I see issues with quite strong padding which falls off the shoulders, not very clean on back (smth like waist lower than should be, right ? ) .. very interested in your comments on length of the coat, button stance, and any other critical comments / suggestions..

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013

13. RDiaz

RDiaz Distinguished Member

Looks like your tailor took in the waist too much. Can't comment on everything else.

14. Hacking jacket

Hacking jacket Senior Member

I am not a tailor, but have exactly the same issue with the pants sagging at the back. All tailors know how to solve this but its more involved than slim fitting (although for me that helps): fabric is removed (tightened?) from a pretty odd place (beneath the seat?) and it tightens everything up. Intuitively I'd shorten the seat from the waistline, but thats not what happens. It costs me around $120 to have it done well, which includes a slim fit. I have every pair of pants off the peg altered.

It would be useful to have this set of alterations technically described by an expert, but I think fabric is removed/fitted beneath the seat (or 'rise')

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013

15. jackster57

jackster57 New Member

This is my first suit, a wool Jcrew Ludlow. Looking to see what can be done to improve the fit, as I am a very tall and skinny guy. I'm pretty new to the whole suiting thing, so criticise this fit as much as possible. This is pre tailoring. If anyone knows of any recommended tailors in Portland, Maine that would be much appreciated. Thank you for the feedback and I apologize for the phone pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]