• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Gentlemen, after the failed attempt with Indochino, I went to Suitsupply and tried their MTM program. This is the outcome. Can I get your inputs please? Thanks in advance.

This is an OTR jacket also from Suitsupply:

Last and probably the worst-fitting is an OTR Brooks Brothers jacket. I think the shoulder is more sloped than mine shoulder (forgive my lack of technical terms) Is the jacket fixable?

First off, these pics aren't bad and should be the bare minimum of what is posted. Just saying...
Also, nice shoes.
The first jacket looks pretty clean. Upon closer inspection, the back balance may be a little long. Worth having it checked.
The pants may need to have the back rise/stride checked to clean them up back there. Total length may be a little long, too.
Second jacket is too tight in waist and seat.
Third jacket is too long in back balance and needs to be cleaned up in the back.
So far, I've seen better results with suitsupply than indochino from other people, indeed.

TedBaxter

Reaction score
Ted
this is not the worst fitting shirt i have ever seen.
the darts are not an issue.
I use them all the time.
it gives a cleaner look when you want to reduce the fullness.

the sleeves are a touch long and a little full..
there is a problem fitting your shoulders.
this is a very common problem today.
some MTM companies have not adjusted their patterns properly for how young men are built today.
the collar seems fine.
I don't have an answer on what should be done by the vendor.
but again.
I have seen a lot worse!

Thank you Shirtmaven.
I'm still thinking about what to do with the shoulder. I don't think they can fix it, so should I accept it and leave it be? Or try to return the shirts for that reason?
Also, I'm not sure the drape will get better/good enough...

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
picked up a navy RLBL suit for $800... i bought it because its a classic colour and a great deal for black label but i already have alot of suits... Should i keep or return? if i keep i will have to lengthen the sleeves.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

picked up a navy RLBL suit for $800... i bought it because its a classic colour and a great deal for black label but i already have alot of suits... Should i keep or return? if i keep i will have to lengthen the sleeves.

Shoulders and chest look fine; but the jacket is a little short; did you try an 'L'?

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a question I'm hoping to get some feedback on: I worked with the tailor and managed to get a clean line/drape in the front. However, at the back, whilst the calf area drapes well, the thigh area has a bit of sagging.

1) Is this because the thigh area is bigger than what it should be?

2) To what extent can I expect a clean back like shown in the picture below? Is it reasonable to expect smth like this at the back?

Last edited:

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Have a question I'm hoping to get some feedback on: I worked with the tailor and managed to get a clean line/drape in the front. However, at the back, whilst the calf area drapes well, the thigh area has a bit of sagging.

1) Is this because the thigh area is bigger than what it should be?

2) To what extent can I expect a clean back like shown in the picture below? Is it reasonable to expect smth like this at the back?

Your trousers look pretty clean in the back. I assume you're referring to the point where they're hitting your calves? That is what looks to be causing that mild sag.
You've got a flat seat with prominent calves so the back of the trouser will fall straight, hit your calves, and sag. The way the trouser hangs to avoid hitting your calves has everything to do with its balance. That relates to the way your pelvic girdle is tilted and the rest of the build of your legs.
It could be something like a few small tweaks in different areas ...
OR something really simple like the trouser leg is too narrow for your calves! hard to tell with no side pics

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is nothing trad about too-long sleeves and pants. Unless there's no other option, go to another tailor who won't fight you on choices which should be utterly uncontroversial.

Oh I agree, I will be taking it to my regular tailor from now on. The only reason I took it to the in store tailor was because alterations were free since I won the suit in a contest, and I figured it was worth a shot since this was one of the two shops in town that carried decent mens clothing.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
sometimes "free" costs the most
biggrin.gif

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Thank you OTCtailor. That picture of the back (above) isn't me.

My back (THIGH AREA) looks something like this in the picture below.

What's the reason for this?

Too much material back there. You've got a semi prominent seat it looks like but your pelvis is shifted forward but tilted backward. The cloth is just following you around
ffffuuuu.gif

The fix might be letting out the seat a little and shortening the back rise.
Here's a diagram to help you understand what's going on with your body:
You'd be somewhere inbetween those two middle postures. Just FYI.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Back surgery is pretty risky. I don't know if it's worth it to get better fitting trousers.

Oh, wait. You meant an easy fix for the trousers...

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics