The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Took the blazer to the tailor today. Have used him few times so I trust his advice. He agreed chest looked boxy. So yep getting the chest suppressed and the arms shorter from the wrist.

2. Tony Hubert

Tony Hubert New Member

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  3. Towers

Towers Senior member

I came into this suit for fairly cheap and want to know if it's close enough that it's worth trying to have it tailored or if I should just let it go.

[​IMG]

Also how big of a job would it be? I don't yet have a tailor here I feel really comfortable with and would rather not pay someone just to ruin a nice suit.

4. PianistOne111

PianistOne111 Member

Can I save this? It seems to fit in the shoulders (maybe even a bit narrow), and the armholes are small enough. I know what to do with the sleeves: short enough to just cover my shirt cuffs. What else should I do?

Here are its measurements:

chest (right under arms) 102
    waist 96
    hip 104
    sleeve 65
    length (in back from neckline down) 82

A well-fitting jacket:
    chest 96
    waist 86
    hip 98
    sleeve 54
    length 69

Me:
    chest 90
    waist 73
    hip 90
    arm (shoulder to first knuckle of thumb) 58
    half the distance between neck and floor 69

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  5. UltraMagnetical

UltraMagnetical Senior member

im not a tailor, however this looks like your wearing a dress from behind...not a good look.

6. Acekun

Acekun Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can I get a critique on this suit, please? Just got it from Black Lapel. Sleeves seem too short and the right one is shorter than the other. Pants in the back don't look too good either. Please let me know what you would get done to this suit.

Apologies for the picture quality -- just got the suit and couldn't take the pics until tonight when the light wasn't too good. My wife is out of town and my 6 yr old did her best so it's as good as we could do for right now. I want to take this in soon to get altered for a company party next weekend so that's why I'm putting these up now instead of waiting until the wife gets home. Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  7. Acekun

Acekun Member

Author deleted this post.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  8. p.henrik

p.henrik Senior member

Recent tweed jacket, CMT from Ah Loke, KL, Malaysia. Tweed fabric bought separately in London.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some closer look at the workmanship. Feedback appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. p.henrik

p.henrik Senior member

And a similar jacket in cashmere. Also CMT from Ah Loke. I like the fit overall. Maybe it came out just a bit too short.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the workmanship.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

Very nice, although the slight shoulder dimples on the second coat bother me.

11. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

This stylistic change is better communicated to the maker with a picture. A picture of this jacket and a picture of how you would like it to be. Part of the issue is how the jacket drapes due to your posture. The front balance needs to be longer. This will help clean up the back and lift the back off your hips.
    You also have a very low right shoulder.

12. Despos

The shoulders don't sit right. The overlap is skimpy and causes the lapels to bow out when you button the jacket. The combination of this and the shoulder make the collar gap. Would lower the front button position. Shoulder blades on the back are too large. jacket would look better longer.
    Make the trousers longer and angled down in the back.

13. Despos

The grey jacket seems shorter than the other and the button position looks too high. What I see on the back view is it was taken in too much under the arms on the side body making it smaller across the back. Would let the the side body out a good 1/2" on each side but not the back part.

14. Despos

yes, looks like a forward shoulder issue but this photo doesn't give much to go on. There appears a bit of a twist on the shoulder. Need to shift the front shoulder towards the shoulder, away from the neck and square it a bit. Stretch the canvass over the shoulder. Put a little more fullness on the back shoulder and hope for the best.

15. Despos

Both jackets are very clean. Nothing to comment about the fit but if I were making these I would want a better look on the front below the button. Don't want to see so much of the shirt and top of the trouser. The shaping of the back doesn't define your waist. It looks fitted right under the armhole on the back and then an A line to the hem. Greenish jacket not as clean in this area as the brown.
    The left vent hangs differently than the right side. You have a low right so you may need more length over your left shoulder.

Just random observations, they appear to fit well.