1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior member

shoulders too big in the jacket. That's the only thing you can really observe from the photos.

2. AndrewST

AndrewST Well-Known Member

Yeah, they weren't so obviously big until I got the suit dry cleaned. I'm not sure what happened. What's the process like to fix them? FWIW, there's padding inside -- can I request it be removed? When I grab the shoulder I'm grabbing a handful of pad.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  3. IanE

IanE New Member

Hi,

I'm interested in what your suggestions are for this suit (36S J crew factory thompson) and blazer (36S BR tailored). I am 5' 7'', 143 pounds. Neither have been tailored, so the sleeves have to be shortened on both and the suits pants have to be hemmed for less of a break. Neither have been worn or steamed, hence some of the odd wrinkles.

[​IMG]

I just noticed that there is this odd wrinkle around the button. I think that appeared because the jacket is slightly pulled to the side. It isn't usually there.

[​IMG]

Same reason why there is that odd wrinkle here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see how it is pulled to the side/.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any feedback on fit/possible alterations.

4. UltraMagnetical

UltraMagnetical Senior member

this suit will never look good on you...I dont care if you have the best tailor in the world. Best to get rid of it and find something that fits better before alterations.

5. AndrewST

AndrewST Well-Known Member

Probably true. Thanks.

6. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior member

If you would get pics taken with someone's help the way the beginning of the thread instructs, we could tell what you're specifically asking for. The suits I personally wear aren't too tight but they're tailored closely enough that if I raised my hand near my head and tried to take a picture of myself in front of a mirror with my smart phone that indeed I'd get some shoulder divots and x shaped creases from the button point. Anyone looking at that picture of me would say my suit is too tight but they'd be misled because the picture makes it only seem too tight.

What I'm trying to say is, go get some help taking the pics.
    But if you aren't willing to do that...
    As a rule of thumb, don't buy something that is too tight. You have no way of telling how much you need to have it let out and if there's even enough fabric in there to do it. Always buy something that fits in the shoulders, chest, and neck and have it altered. If it looks like it will be alot of work, it probably will be a lot of work.

7. walkman

walkman New Member

Hello,

Just ordered and received a 42R (52 Euro) Marco Valentino suit. I think the the jacket is too big (especially the shoulders). I plan to exchange for a 40R (50 euro), but looking for confirmation/thoughts on the jacket size. Pics aren't great, but hope they show enough.

Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. mikeyc29

mikeyc29 Active Member

So I stumbled across this blazer at a century 21 for $199.00; original price was 420.00. It looks like the Brooks brothers Regent blazer but the regent blazer has 2 vents and this has one. It's a pretty nice blazer imo, and I think its a good starter blazer (I was willing to spend around 500 for a decent one) from Howard Yount, BB or Epaulet. What do you guys think? I am going to go to the tailor if I do decide to keep it I'm going to the tailor so please critique fit. Should I keep it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 3dg3

3dg3 Member

Any feedback on this one? I'm about to order a remake but I'm really not sure if I need to get the shoulders taken in by, say, 0.25 in. or not.

10. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior member

I don't know that you really need to narrow the shoulders so much as you need a better adjustment for body fit and posture. It depends on whether the maker offers those remake options or not.
    In your case, you've got very erect posture, but full in the upper back with forward pitching shoulders and arms. All of the wrinkles across the upper back are from that. They should be able to see these things with pictures and adjust the pattern accordingly. Also, it's too tight in the waist of the jacket.

11. 3dg3

3dg3 Member

Thank you very much.
    By "wrinkles across the upper back", do you mean the area where it looks like the fabric is being stretched across my shoulder blades?
    Is my posture also causing the folds near the sides of my back, just underneath the armpit? Or is this happening because the waist is too narrow compared to the chest?
    What I'm referring to:
    [​IMG]

I'm guessing the wrinkles in my arms (from the side pics) are due to the sleeves being too large.

So in regards to the shoulders, would you say it's safe to keep them as is and focus on the other areas instead?

12. biged781

biged781 Senior member

Ok, back again. Just picked up this jacket for an amazing price... but the fit is off. I realize that fit comes first, but I can return the jacket if I chose, so I figure it would be worth dumping more money than I usually would into tailoring, assuming it can be tailored to fit me. If it is just impossible, well, I'll return it. I really love the jacket though, so I'm giving it a shot. Will be taking it to my tailor tomorrow, but I'm anxious to get some feedback quickly.

The mid section is obviously too large, but that's true of every RTW jacket I buy (the shirt sleeves are obviously too long as well). My concern is the shoulders (of course), which are obviously too large. I know it is a no-no to buy a jacket which does nto fit in the chest and shoulders, but again, for the price... I wouldn't mind investing 100-200 just to fix it. Of course, I don't know if it can be fixed at all. Anyway, enough droning on, here are the pics. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  13. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

This is the E. Zegna Milano suit that I scored at Nordstrom Rack for a song last week. It's reallly comfy - I could get used to this.

The only thing I've had done so far is get the pants hemmed w/1.75" cuffs, and had the left sleeve shortened about 1/4". I'm wearing it with AE Fifth Street boots in these pictures - the trousers keep catching on the boot laces, so either I'm going to need to get shorter laces, or just wear it with shoes instead.

Yeah, look at my shiny head disappear into the lighting! Please ignore the awful things that are happening with my shirt collar.

[​IMG]

Is this evidence of shoulders being a touch wide? This is an EU 52. I know if I go down to an EU 50 it will be way too tight at the button.

[​IMG]

Finally, attempting to Do The Spoo. This will take some practice, clearly.

[​IMG]

14. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

It's too big. The shoulders do not fit. I would return it and get a smaller size.

15. Shen

Shen Senior member

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  16. Shen

Shen Senior member

I was thinking, taking in the back, making the sleeves a tad narrower and shorter. Any suggestions? [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. jfelixg

jfelixg New Member

I just picked up a very nice midnight blue Oxxford tuxedo off of Ebay, vintage unknown but maybe 60s-70s. The jacket looks great, and needs only minor alterations. The pants are very well made, with impeccable detail work, but they look like Zoot-suit clown pants. They come up 2 inches above the navel, the front zipper (button to crotch) is about 15" long, they have enormous baggy double-pleats and full legs. other than that, they fit great...

There is enough room at the top of the waist that it could be brought down maybe 1.5" without interfering with the existing pockets. The legs have no seams other than the satin stripes at the outside, so tapering might be complicated. When they are pulled al the way up, the crotch and hems all end up in the right place.

Do any of you tailors think that there is any reasonable chance of modernizing these pants (lower the waist some, remove pleats, taper legs)? I don't need to make them into Ryan Gosling skinny jeans, just tame them a bit. Thanks.

This picture is not me or the actual suit, but it gives an idea of the fit of these pants:

[​IMG]

18. tubby34

tubby34 Well-Known Member

Any chance I can get an opinion? I need to wear a suit to an interview and I'd like to look my best. Thanks.

19. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior member

It's far too small in the chest...something you really can't fix.

20. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior member

If it's all you have, it's all you have.
    Don't wear that shirt/tie combo tho.

Wear a light blue shirt, pale yellow/blue striped tie, black belt, black shoes