• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Lord Mulberry

Reaction score
Gents,

Reasons for choosing Indochino aside, I am looking for some constructive criticism on my first suit. I'm an Army Officer and not a regular suit wearer so it's safe to say that I'm lost in the sauce.

So SF, does this suit fit good/bad/other, and can a tailor alter this to be good/acceptable or should I demand a remake. Wedding is in about 3.5 weeks so I need to act quickly.

I did my best to show the suit as best I could with a self timer and crappy lighting. I am sorry for the wrinkles in the suit, I understand that it isn't draping 100% correctly. This suit does is designed to be pretty slim I'm sure and the sleeves look a little short. It also seems that the jacket is taking on the form/wrinkles of the slim fit BB dress shirt worn underneath, which may explain some of the creases on the arms.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Thread with additional pics including close-ups:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/321107/looking-for-critique-on-my-first-indochino-suit

Respectfully,

CTL

It looks a little tight on the arms are legs to me, the sleeves especially just seem to ride up and hang there. Maybe the jecket leght is a little short too, but where I live the fashion is towards the sort at the momement.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got this jacket about a week ago. Wanted to see if there can be any improvements. It is my first time using this tailor.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty good to me.

If I was to be picky, I would take some of the excess fabric out at the back of the suit. If you look at the picture of your back, you have some excess fabric across the top of your back and just preceeding your arms. It is because you are quite skinny, like me :).

I always have to get this done. It costs me about $45.

Other than that, I quite like it.

kischi

Reaction score
This light grey suit and the blue coat came in last week from Suit Supply. No alterations yet. What do you think - keep or return? Sorry for crappy pics.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey guys I could use some help, I picked up this vintage PRL in a thrift. Union made, fully canvassed and really cool. I thought it fit in the store but now I'm having second thoughts, are the large lapels and my small head clashing? I know that the length of the jacket is too short by traditional standards but as a SC that I'll wear with jeans I actually like that, I'm more concerned about proportions.

^^This is how I want it to look! Is it just in my head or is it my head? Thanks!

Fabric closeup (taken for WUS so forgive the watch)

the jacket looks from the front, too short no solution for that.
the super wide lapels date it. no way to narrow them.

nice watch.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This light grey suit and the blue coat came in last week from Suit Supply. No alterations yet. What do you think - keep or return? Sorry for crappy pics.

I think the light grey suit fit is really good.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Dear Tailors,

I have a quick fit request on my first (well, second since it's a re-make) MTM shirt.  I requested a re-make because the sleeves were obviously too long.  When I went to my tailor for measurements for my suit, I brought the suit and he recommended taking 2" off the sleeves. When I received my re-make, at first I thought the sleeves were way too short.  I've tried the shirt on two more times since then and now I'm not so sure.  I'm used to wearing OTR shirts and admittedly, not wearing them all that often because work didn't require it until now.  Now that I'm wearing dress shirts, I'm wondering if I've been "doing it wrong" the entire time with sleeves that were too long.  So I've attached two pictures.  One with just the shirt and one with the shirt and my re-made suit coat. I guess I'm just used to seeing some sleeve outside the coat sleeve. I'll post pics of the suit later on, but I think the suit re-make went fairly well.  Please let me know what you think on the sleeves (and apologies for the poor pictures...I'm not a photographer and neither is my spouse).

regards, J.

go to the tutorials and read "shirt sleeve showing problem".

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Gents, Reasons for choosing Indochino aside, I am looking for some constructive criticism on my first suit. I'm an Army Officer and not a regular suit wearer so it's safe to say that I'm lost in the sauce.
So SF, does this suit fit good/bad/other, and can a tailor alter this to be good/acceptable or should I demand a remake. Wedding is in about 3.5 weeks so I need to act quickly.

I did my best to show the suit as best I could with a self timer and crappy lighting. I am sorry for the wrinkles in the suit, I understand that it isn't draping 100% correctly. This suit does is designed to be pretty slim I'm sure and the sleeves look a little short. It also seems that the jacket is taking on the form/wrinkles of the slim fit BB dress shirt worn underneath, which may explain some of the creases on the arms.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Thread with additional pics including close-ups: http://www.styleforum.net/t/321107/looking-for-critique-on-my-first-indochino-suit Respectfully, CTL
ok CTL, slim is one thing but this is too tight,but if its what you like then ok. you have a right low shoulder. thats from carrying your weapon there. you also have a high and larger right hip, that is normal with that right shoulder. to measure those check the tutorials, "do i have a low shoulder" and "got a high hip". they need that info. the jacket could be an inch longer. the sleeves need to be a half inch longer. the chest circumference needs to be 2" larger. the waist circumference 2" larger. . 2"on the right side. 1" on the left side. for a total of 3" larger on the hips. yes you need to have them cut a new suit. on the trousers increase the seat circumference at least 1". increase the bottom circumference 2". when you tell them all this, you should also send them all of these pictures.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I got this jacket about a week ago. Wanted to see if there can be any improvements. It is my first time using this tailor.

hi fyoneo
we have a problem here.with your pictures.
the first shows that you are stooped over. in that the coat front dips down
and the fronts look pointed. but the last picture shows that stand straight
and the front is level.
the back view shows that you stand extremely erect and the back dips down.
either you were standing in different positions. or the coat was on you wrong.
could we have some more consistent pictures. we will do the best we can then.

if that last picture is really you, its a nice looking jacket.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By all means keep - yeah, they aren't perfect, but the fit in both items looks really, really good for RTW, at least in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hi fyoneo
we have a problem here.with your pictures.
the first shows that you are stooped over. in that the coat front dips down
and the fronts look pointed. but the last picture shows that stand straight
and the front is level.
the back view shows that you stand extremely erect and the back dips down.
either you were standing in different positions. or the coat was on you wrong.
could we have some more consistent pictures. we will do the best we can then.
if that last picture is really you, its a nice looking jacket.

Ok, I'll try to post some better pictures. My girlfriend at the time took the pictures, so she was using different angles. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

goingdutch

Reaction score
I've spent a lot of time perusing the forums here and I know there are a lot of style-savvy community members. I hope that my (very) recent join date won't preclude your responses with some advice. I'm not trying to be a leech, I'm just relatively new to style awareness. I'm hoping to continue learning from everyone's wisdom. (Relatedly, if this post is too long, or if it belongs elsewhere, please let me know.) So here goes.

This is my first Indochino suit. I'm impressed with the service and, generally, the process. My new suit and shirt came a few days ago, and I know that I need some alterations.

(I'll apologize in advance for the lighting, particularly the shadow from the flash. I've tried to lighten some of the pant/jacket photos to make the dark fabric more visible, and that caused the white shirt to wash out in those photos.)

First, the shirt (my right sleeve is unbuttoned):

Now the pants:

And, finally, the jacket:

The shirt

I'm mostly satisfied with the fit, particularly around the chest and stomach (though the back might be poofy). The sleeves feel a little poofy, and they might be a little long and wide on the wrists. Your thoughts?

The pants

The pants are definitely too tight, even around the waist (by probably a full inch). But the thighs also feel tight (almost skin-tight, particularly when sitting or tying my shoes). Will changing the thigh measurements take care of that, or should I also take out the seat and/or crotch? I think the length is okay, though.

The suit

(Note that the sleeves are currently unfinished, so the length is obviously to much. They'll eventually be shortened to the proper length to show some cuff.) The shoulders feel big (I'd like it to fit rather snugly), and I'd the chest could certainly be tighter. The sleeves are also probably too loose in the bicep, though they taper nicely to a good cuff width. I'm also concerned about the armholes, though, and wish they were higher so that they aren't so restrictive. The button stance seems high, so I'd probably like that lowered if possible. What are your thoughts? (Also, specifically, does anyone know whether higher armholes are even possible anymore via Indochino? I was under the impression that they purposefully made every suit with higher armholes.)

I understand that I can't expect the same fit from an online MTM as I'd get from an actual (local) tailor, but since Indochino guarantees fit satisfaction, it's definitely worth it to get it as close to perfect as possible.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out. I look forward to learning from everyone!

Millerp

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out. I look forward to learning from everyone!

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you could go to any department store and get a better fitting suit OTR that may or may not need alteration.

I think your own analysis of the problems with the suit are correct. Suggest you send Indochino these
pictures and see what they say.

kylepw

Reaction score
Hello,

Just got my first online MTM suit purchased at Black Lapel. Would appreciate any comments/alteration suggestions. Two things that I wondered was: 1) Are pants a little too short and could lengthen 1/4" or so? 2) Small gap in right side of collar. Is this the suit or just my posture? 3) Is the jacket slightly short?

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads