The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Everybody has an opinion. What sources are you using?

Did this happen on your suit when you used steam?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

2. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

Everything except the guys who actually make the stuff, and we all seem to agree that steaming is bad. Funny, that.

3. scoredtx

scoredtx Active Member

The experts speak! What would you do about wrinkles? We know not to send them to the cleaners, and now we know the hot shower is out. Perhaps we just become more accepting of wrinkles...

4. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

5. Despos

Breguet in your avatar? Love their elegant look.

Using steam without heat and pressure is like adding a liquid to your batter but not stirring followed by not baking the batter and expecting the proper result.

Pressing is how you maintain clothing and for a better made garment or a garment with more shape, the better qualified the presser should be. Pressing requires as much skill, maybe more skill as any other operation in tailoring. No exaggeration.

I rarely press my own clothing except to put a crease in the trouser and get rid of wrinkles in the thigh area. Jackets get a press to shrink in the collar and get rid of wrinkles on the back part of the jacket and I do this myself. If you have a good relationship with your tailor, he may be a resource for this.

Have wanted to put a tutorial on here about touching up or how to press trousers for at least a year but haven't gotten around to it. WIll try to do it soon and you will be able to clean up the wrinkles on your trousers at home.

6. scoredtx

scoredtx Active Member

Thanks, Chris and Jeff. Seems you agree on pressing. I can only suppose that the temp of the iron should be less than you would use on a cotton shirt. I admit that I am sort of afraid to try it.

How do you feel about those trouser pressers (as made by Corby for instance)?

A tutorial would be welcomed as your time allows. Many thanks.

PS-I love my Breguet. I have to say that it sometimes feel a little diminutive compared to some of my others (newest is an Archimedes), but it is elegant and understated.

7. JackHunter

JackHunter Member

I want to start getting mtm shirts, and my understanding is it's best to use measurements from existing shirts rather than body measurements. That given, how would you adjust this shirt to get a good fit, it's currently my best fit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. BradleyD

BradleyD New Member

I'm a first time poster on here, but I've already found a lot of the advice throughout the site very helpful. Helping me in my transition from having poor style to better style at least. Anyways, I need to get a new suit right away, and I posted pictures on page 119 (sorry, some of them are sideways, and I don't know why or how to fix them!) - if anyone can give me some advice on fit, and how I should alter it to fit better I would appreciate it. What to look for in getting the next suit would be even more helpful. Thanks!

9. Despos

Jacket looks a bit big in the upper areas, shoulder too wide, blade area too big, chest too big. Balance is good, back is a touch short but I wouldn't fool with it. Would suggest a higher rise, these look like they won't stay up. Higher rise helps this. The back of the trouser needs to be lifted to remove the wrinkling on the back part. Trouser length can be shorter.

10. PaaPanf

PaaPanf Active Member

I think your doing it right. I have a old suit that fits like your last one. Maybe i will try to fix it up too!

11. PaaPanf

PaaPanf Active Member

From my experience. the excess material in your back if from the back setting. You have a straight back and material from the back should get cut out. Everything else i can see in the photo looks fine. make sure you wash it a few time first tho

12. James77

James77 Active Member

Thought I would update my earlier post. I took the sport coat from Brooks Brothers in to have work done. I had the sleeves shortened, shoulders narrowed, waist supressed and the material under the collar removed. It's not perfect, but I think an improvement. I'm happy with it.
    Here is the before
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And after
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here is another suit I have from my brothers wedding years ago. (just wearing the jacket). Same issues I think as before. Too long, sleeves need shortening. waist needs taking in, and the shoulders need taking in.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. lysandar

lysandar Senior member

I would hazard to guess that you need to let out the small of your back and rotate your sleeves.

14. James77

James77 Active Member

Thanks, I'm am trying to work with what I have and use it as a learning process as to what works for me and what doesn't. I figure that way, when I buy new things or have them made for me I am more aware of what I want/will fit me right and I can reduce the amount of tailoring needed.

15. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Thrifted a nice J Press sport coat. Length of the coat and arms are spot on. Can the waist be nipped a bit without having the front parts fly open? My main concern is that the shoulders are a little too wide, causing bunching in the upper back. Any thoughts? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012