• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question with no pics, but hopefully I can describe it. If not, I can grab some photos later.

Anyway, what causes the skirt on the sides of a jacket to buckle or fold outward instead of adhering to the sides of the hips? Some of my jackets do this and I need a vent strap, others don't and I can't figure out why that is?

Would it be the height of the vent or a different kind of canvas used on one vs. the other?

Thanks!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Crooked shoulders make for a flared skirt but it could be a number of causes. Need a visual to assess what might cause this

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crooked shoulders make for a flared skirt but it could be a number of causes. Need a visual to assess what might cause this

Crooked, meaning like a concave shoulder (shoulders that are pitched forward - if that makes sense)?

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Crooked, meaning like a concave shoulder (shoulders that are pitched forward - if that makes sense)?

Crooked is different than concave. It's a technical term regarding the shoulder neck point.

poseidon

Reaction score

Hi, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much! I am planning to go back to Chan's for a second suit...

V

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much! I am planning to go back to Chan's for a second suit...
V

It's pretty good, but I can't tell if the button is pulling in the mid section, or if the jacket is wrinkled.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

V

Looks OK. Wear the suit when you meet with them and they may see things to adjust.

Some random thoughts.

You have a combination low right shoulder and prominent left shoulder blade. The back of the sleeves could be cleaner. Lapels look very high from this picture angle.

Pick up the back of the trouser at the top to clean up the back of the trouser. I might go 1" larger on the knee and the trouser bottom to get a better line on the trouser leg.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the tailors out there, or anyone who has done this, what should it cost to have the sleeves of a sportcoat slimmed? What if just mildly tapered below the elbow? Thanks

crunch123

Reaction score

Measurement: Height: 5' 6.5'' (169 cm); Weight: 141 lbs (64 kg)

Hi SF Masters and Members - just picked up my jacket today. I am planning to make a suit with the measurements as per the above pictures with the following adjustments (note: aim to have more fashion-forward suit that is still acceptable for business setting, except the very formal event):

A) Jacket :
1) jacket length should be longer (hence, would also have slightly lower button stance)
2) to adjust the jacket's right shoulder (from my direction/pov) as the current one does not seem to 'sit' on my shoulder well
3) to reduce the length of the lapel from 2.75 to 2.5 inches and to make it just the normal notch
4) to have slightly more flare up jacket bottom ("open-quarter")
(Side Note: the jacket sleeve length seems to be ok; but my shirt sleeve length is too long)

B) Trousers
1) the trousers length should be shorter (i.e. currently, there are too many undesirable breaks)
2) lower the trousers rise (as I prefer to wear my trousers on the hip, instead of waist)

Another thing on the jacket, does the overall proportion of shoulder, chest, waist look good?

Any comment to the above adjustment and/or any other recommendation that my newbie eyes overlooked is tremendously appreciated.

Thank you very much and have a nice weekend.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

To the tailors out there, or anyone who has done this, what should it cost to have the sleeves of a sportcoat slimmed? What if just mildly tapered below the elbow? Thanks

if the sleeve has working buttonholes its not a practical thing to do.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^Can anyone explain this 'low crotch' phenomena? I have the same problem as the above fellow in my bespoke suits, no matter what I try to do (open the fronts, raise the trouser crotch, etc), I still get this weird thing similar to the above where my crotch appears lower than my torso. Maybe I just need an extra long jacket in the front to cover it up?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics