• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I know the photo qualities are low, but if you have comments on what you see, I'd appreciate them greatly. This was a recent Mtm attempt.
I'm especially curious on how to decrease the "kick" I see at the bottom of the trousers without compromising how the back of the trousers fall in line nicely. Also, can this suit be considered to be "draped," or does it look off?

I would do this; Jacket balance, lengthen the front 1/2", shorten back 1/2". Shorten sleeves. Shorten jacket length 3/4". Lower button point 3/8"

Don't know what the "kick" is on the trouser. The way the back of the trouser stands away from your shoe at the hem? If so, it is not an issue.

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for those comments! Any thoughts on the way the jacket fits? I intentionally left some room especially at the chest, but not sure if it looks okay. I want to have a draping effect, but I don't think the tailor uses a drape cut.
I called "kick" the way that the trousers do not fall straight at the front but collapses into my legs. Kind of random, I guess.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All my comments were regarding how the jacket fits. hard to judge the drape form these dark pictures and equally hard to distinguish drape from a full chest. Drape is equal parts cut and construction.

To get the trouser to hang straight to the top of the shoe is about shaping the leg with the iron.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for those comments! Any thoughts on the way the jacket fits? I intentionally left some room especially at the chest, but not sure if it looks okay. I want to have a draping effect, but I don't think the tailor uses a drape cut.
I called "kick" the way that the trousers do not fall straight at the front but collapses into my legs. Kind of random, I guess.

Nice suit! I might shorten the sleeves a smidgen as well depending on where most of my shirt cuffs fell. Jacket length and balance look right to me. Could be slightly shorter but I think that's a judgment call. I see the fullness you asked for in the chest, but I wouldn't call it a drape suit.

kwriley

Reaction score
Hello all, this is a suit from Indochino and I wanted to know of ways to improve the fit. It was my first suit from them and I just wanted to know how to improve the fit for my next suit. Thank you for all your help.

poseidon

Reaction score
Hi, can some of the experts comment on this WW Chan suit? sorry that it is rather wrinkled, I had just taken it out of the suitcase...

Last edited:

pcsk77

Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought a suit and would really love some feedback on the fit. I'm new to the forum, please be forgiving if I'm making mistake in posting in the wrong thread. I think this is the right one for fit advice for my suit by a master tailor, since the instructions didn't seem to allow for specific questions around the pants, I'll be posting another fit critique post on the Official Fit Critique thread with specific pants questions. Thanks in advance.

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tailors, Is it possible to make these armholes higher? I do have excess room just below the armpit both at the back and front chest. There seems also to be vertical excess cloth at the armpit, which I have to get fixed anyway.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is not reasonable or even that possible to make armholes higher on a finished garment.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
After searching quite a bit, I did see that. Also found this thread:
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?60572-THE-high-armhole
If I really, really wanted something done, would option #2 be possible with a very thin shoulder pad?
If I wanted to specify on the next cut of the mtm suit, how much would be close to the maximum I could raise the armhole?[/quote

notice that #2 works only if there is a sloping shoulders problem.
and the most changed that would be gained would be one inch.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hello all, this is a suit from Indochino and I wanted to know of ways to improve the fit. It was my first suit from them and I just wanted to know how to improve the fit for my next suit. Thank you for all your help.

you have a right low shoulder. see the tutorials to measure the low shoulder.
the right hip is too tight also.
shorten the sleeves so that 1/2 " of shirt sleeve shows.
the lighting only shows half of the garment,. lighting should come from behind the camera.
we have to depend on good pictures, to give accurate .advice.
are you wearing the trousers on your hips or on the waist?
there seems to be some excess length at the top of the back.
again tutorials "that pesky roll below the shoulder".

kwriley

Reaction score
The pants are on my waist and I never noticed my right shoulder. You are the first person ever to point that out. I think the pants have to much room in the crouch and thats why they look kind of funny. Would it help if I took better pictures ( lighting is pretty bad)? How is the jacket? Do you think it needs to be a bit longer and tighter fitting? Is a low shoulder normal? Is the tutorial for measuring for a low shoulder on this forum or Indochino website? Thank you for all you help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads