• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailor and the Sweater

kfitzpatrick

Reaction score
So I have a couple of very light sweaters from Banana Republic which I just got and I really like them.

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...103&pid=416549

They're light enough to wear under a sport jacket if the temperature is not at its highest and a great alternative to a t-shirt. However, being a man with slightly short arms (5'7" and a lot of torso) I'm constantly annoyed at how long the sleeves are especially if I've already been wearing it for a few hours.

However, the problem is, it's a knitted sweater. Is there anyway at all to have a tailor take up the cuffs? It's certainly not thick but I'm not even sure it's possible to do that with a sweater.

-Kevin

PS: If anyone knows a top notch tailor for alterations and/or a dry cleaner in Center City Philadelphia I would really appreciate any info as I am moving downtown to Old City in October.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kfitzpatrick
So I have a couple of very light sweaters from Banana Republic which I just got and I really like them.

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...103&pid=416549

They're light enough to wear under a sport jacket if the temperature is not at its highest and a great alternative to a t-shirt. However, being a man with slightly short arms (5'7" and a lot of torso) I'm constantly annoyed at how long the sleeves are especially if I've already been wearing it for a few hours.

However, the problem is, it's a knitted sweater. Is there anyway at all to have a tailor take up the cuffs? It's certainly not thick but I'm not even sure it's possible to do that with a sweater.

-Kevin

PS: If anyone knows a top notch tailor for alterations and/or a dry cleaner in Center City Philadelphia I would really appreciate any info as I am moving downtown to Old City in October.

I'd think that you'd probably want a weaver, not a tailor.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I'd think that you'd probably want a weaver, not a tailor.
Yes, tailors don't really want to deal with knits.

kfitzpatrick

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Thanks!

A "reweaver" wow, I had no idea such a thing even existed. I've done some minor tailoring for myself in the past I know I'd never want to go near a knit item. Thanks, I'll look one up.

-Kevin

stach

Reaction score
Put the sleeves only in warm water, then dip the whole sweater in cool water. Dry flat on a towel.

kfitzpatrick

Reaction score
Really? Deliberately shrinking it seems a little scary. It's a blend (85% Silk, 15% Cashmere), I'm just a little wary of doing that but it certainly in theory would work.

What does everybody think of this idea?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd do it on a wool sweater, but I don't think I'd try it on silk or a blend like that.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've deliberately shrunk sweaters before - Liberally sprinkle water on the item and stick in dryer. Its shrinks everything though

kfitzpatrick

Reaction score
Isn't folding the sleeve back a simple solution?

Sure, absolutely, and I've tried it. And I think it looks pretty bad. To be certain, it may work for you and other men, but on me a turned back sweater cuff comes off looking ill-fitting.

I've recently come to the conclusion that just because I'm not proportionate to the normal small, medium, and larges of the world doesn't mean my casual clothes shouldn't fit correctly. I'm just your normal 5'6-5'7 guy, bit of a gut but otherwise muscular, long torso, short limbs. And, I can't find a darn thing that actually fits me.

If I could spend twice as much on an article of clothing that actually fit all around I probably would, so an alteration fee doesn't seem all that bad.

BTW, kitonbrioni, I regularly check out your blog and love seeing what other fashion-interested guys are wearing.

Thanks
-Kevin

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I look for a sleeve that can be turned up. The band on the end of the sleeve should be longer. Turn it up using about half the band. It makes the sleeve tighter and keeps it in place better since it stretches less. I've always considered that the proper way to wear a sweater.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There exists a specialized machine to work on knits. A ladies store like St. Johns sometimes has this as there line is heavy with knits and they need to be altered. Check with them and see if they would help you out. Some major department stores may have one also. I know Neimans in TX does. If they would accept working on your alterations, I don't know.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kfitzpatrick
Sure, absolutely, and I've tried it. And I think it looks pretty bad. To be certain, it may work for you and other men, but on me a turned back sweater cuff comes off looking ill-fitting.

I've recently come to the conclusion that just because I'm not proportionate to the normal small, medium, and larges of the world doesn't mean my casual clothes shouldn't fit correctly. I'm just your normal 5'6-5'7 guy, bit of a gut but otherwise muscular, long torso, short limbs. And, I can't find a darn thing that actually fits me.

If I could spend twice as much on an article of clothing that actually fit all around I probably would, so an alteration fee doesn't seem all that bad.

BTW, kitonbrioni, I regularly check out your blog and love seeing what other fashion-interested guys are wearing.

Thanks
-Kevin

Have you tried folding the cuff _under_?

I have the opposite problem to yours. I'm very tall and thin, so I appreciate the longer sleeves on sweaters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads