1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Tailor and the Sweater

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kfitzpatrick, Aug 23, 2006.

1. kfitzpatrick

kfitzpatrick Member

So I have a couple of very light sweaters from Banana Republic which I just got and I really like them.

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...103&pid=416549

They're light enough to wear under a sport jacket if the temperature is not at its highest and a great alternative to a t-shirt. However, being a man with slightly short arms (5'7" and a lot of torso) I'm constantly annoyed at how long the sleeves are especially if I've already been wearing it for a few hours.

However, the problem is, it's a knitted sweater. Is there anyway at all to have a tailor take up the cuffs? It's certainly not thick but I'm not even sure it's possible to do that with a sweater.

-Kevin

PS: If anyone knows a top notch tailor for alterations and/or a dry cleaner in Center City Philadelphia I would really appreciate any info as I am moving downtown to Old City in October.

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

So I have a couple of very light sweaters from Banana Republic which I just got and I really like them.

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...103&pid=416549

They're light enough to wear under a sport jacket if the temperature is not at its highest and a great alternative to a t-shirt. However, being a man with slightly short arms (5'7" and a lot of torso) I'm constantly annoyed at how long the sleeves are especially if I've already been wearing it for a few hours.

However, the problem is, it's a knitted sweater. Is there anyway at all to have a tailor take up the cuffs? It's certainly not thick but I'm not even sure it's possible to do that with a sweater.

-Kevin

PS: If anyone knows a top notch tailor for alterations and/or a dry cleaner in Center City Philadelphia I would really appreciate any info as I am moving downtown to Old City in October.

I'd think that you'd probably want a weaver, not a tailor.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

I'd think that you'd probably want a weaver, not a tailor.
    Yes, tailors don't really want to deal with knits.

5. kfitzpatrick

kfitzpatrick Member

Thanks!

A "reweaver" wow, I had no idea such a thing even existed. I've done some minor tailoring for myself in the past I know I'd never want to go near a knit item. Thanks, I'll look one up.

-Kevin

6. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

This might be expensive, though. On the few sweaters I have that are too long in the sleeves for me, I just fold back the cuff.

7. stach

stach Senior Member

Put the sleeves only in warm water, then dip the whole sweater in cool water. Dry flat on a towel.

8. kfitzpatrick

kfitzpatrick Member

Really? Deliberately shrinking it seems a little scary. It's a blend (85% Silk, 15% Cashmere), I'm just a little wary of doing that but it certainly in theory would work.

What does everybody think of this idea?

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I'd do it on a wool sweater, but I don't think I'd try it on silk or a blend like that.

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Stylish Dinosaur

I've deliberately shrunk sweaters before - Liberally sprinkle water on the item and stick in dryer. Its shrinks everything though

11. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

12. kfitzpatrick

kfitzpatrick Member

Sure, absolutely, and I've tried it. And I think it looks pretty bad. To be certain, it may work for you and other men, but on me a turned back sweater cuff comes off looking ill-fitting.

I've recently come to the conclusion that just because I'm not proportionate to the normal small, medium, and larges of the world doesn't mean my casual clothes shouldn't fit correctly. I'm just your normal 5'6-5'7 guy, bit of a gut but otherwise muscular, long torso, short limbs. And, I can't find a darn thing that actually fits me.

If I could spend twice as much on an article of clothing that actually fit all around I probably would, so an alteration fee doesn't seem all that bad.

BTW, kitonbrioni, I regularly check out your blog and love seeing what other fashion-interested guys are wearing.

Thanks
    -Kevin

13. Charley

Charley Distinguished Member

I look for a sleeve that can be turned up. The band on the end of the sleeve should be longer. Turn it up using about half the band. It makes the sleeve tighter and keeps it in place better since it stretches less. I've always considered that the proper way to wear a sweater.

14. Despos

Despos Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

There exists a specialized machine to work on knits. A ladies store like St. Johns sometimes has this as there line is heavy with knits and they need to be altered. Check with them and see if they would help you out. Some major department stores may have one also. I know Neimans in TX does. If they would accept working on your alterations, I don't know.

15. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

Sure, absolutely, and I've tried it. And I think it looks pretty bad. To be certain, it may work for you and other men, but on me a turned back sweater cuff comes off looking ill-fitting.

I've recently come to the conclusion that just because I'm not proportionate to the normal small, medium, and larges of the world doesn't mean my casual clothes shouldn't fit correctly. I'm just your normal 5'6-5'7 guy, bit of a gut but otherwise muscular, long torso, short limbs. And, I can't find a darn thing that actually fits me.

If I could spend twice as much on an article of clothing that actually fit all around I probably would, so an alteration fee doesn't seem all that bad.

BTW, kitonbrioni, I regularly check out your blog and love seeing what other fashion-interested guys are wearing.

Thanks
    -Kevin

Have you tried folding the cuff _under_?

I have the opposite problem to yours. I'm very tall and thin, so I appreciate the longer sleeves on sweaters.