• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The SwissArmySuit™: a sartorial strip tease

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I like mine better.

trex

Reaction score
very underwhelming. I mean, it sure is innovative and everything, but not at all to the point to which vox made us thought it was.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your best suit, your worst thread.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
It's like ******** for the first time. At first, you are all amped up and excited. Afterwards, it was just meh.

Speak for yourself.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I like mine better.

What's ridiculous is that you and Vox both have suits and jackets that do what your new-fangled hybrid monsters do. So, at best, you save some luggage space.

The BlazerSuit and SwisArmySuit should be the provenance of the poor college student, not you two clothing geeks.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
What's ridiculous is that you and Vox both have suits and jackets that do what your new-fangled hybrid monsters do. So, at best, you save some luggage space.
This is hugely important.

Also, the cloth for both of my BlazerSuits is not something I have in any other garment, nor is the exact configuration, so they are really do fill a niche.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's crazy, CRAZY!, I say.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ha! Well, many of you guys had your imaginations unleashed, but everything that you imagined was awful in conception. Truly.

I made it quite obvious what my objectives were, but here is a recap.

1. Something that could be used for travel but that would cut down on what needed to be packed. Exactly what the BlazerSuit accomplishes. But, I was going for a wider spread between formality and informality.

2. The 13/14 oz fresco is a perfect traveling fabric. It resists wrinkling, and hangs out very well. Moreover, it's hopsack-y makeup is perfect for passing as a navy blazer.

3. I'm not as temperatures sensitive as many are, and can wear a wide variety of fabrics year round. The buggy lining can take this jacket into the summer for me...and the vest can take it into the winter.

4. With the vest, I have a bespoke-y looking suit that can be worn in social or work circumstances in which that is not an abrupt class challenge. I can even tuck the outpocket flaps in to make Mattypoo happy.

5. Without the vest, the suit can be a bit more conservative business dress, especially without my usual ticket pocket. More politically mainstream...more lapel pin.

5. It's been a couple decades since I had a SB blazer with metal buttons. Now I have that, and I don't need to pack it seperately.

6. All the different button combinations are enough, for me at least, to alter the character of the suit or jacket in interesting ways.

The main construction challenge, which was not as simple as you might assume, was in keeping the precision of fit and avoiding buttons that flop around. There is also the issue of comfort in how the buttons are backed, and trying to maximize the durability of the transitional elements in daily use.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

- B

pblasco

Reaction score
Any particular reson you went for the single button? It seems to me that if you are going for something that is extremely versatile, that having a more conventional two button arrangment would make it even more so.

I just had a thought. Forgive me if this is obvious, is it because the unbuttoned bottom button would expose the buttonhole stiching around the switchable button?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did I ever live before this?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I admire the technical execution... especially on the jacket. People need to notice the right angles of the opposing buttonholes and the purpose, and the difficulty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads