1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The SwissArmySuit™: a sartorial strip tease

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Mar 31, 2009.

1. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Any particular reson you went for the single button? It seems to me that if you are going for something that is extremely versatile, that having a more conventional two button arrangment would make it even more so.

I just had a thought. Forgive me if this is obvious, is it because the unbuttoned bottom button would expose the buttonhole stiching around the switchable button?

Well, first of all, I don't do two button jackets (well, 99% of the time.) On a SB coat, it is either one or three buttons for me.

If you do three buttons with a soft roll, the backing button on the top button will show. My solution was a one button coat with a soft roll...I rather like one button coats anyway.

On the sleeves, the hidden attachment buttonholes do not go all the way through the lining, so the backs remain hidden and don't rub up against anything.

- B

2. Philosoph

Philosoph Senior member

Interesting how different personalities solve the same problem. If it were me, I'd probably lean more towards Manton's BlazerSuit, but this is intriguing in its own way.

I think I would actually like this more as a DB. While the vest is nice, I don't think it's really essential for the stated purpose, and just takes up space in the suitcase.

3. voxsartoria

Did you guys try securing the changeable button set to a cloth tape like is done on formal shirts? If so, why did it not work? I would think that on the tape it would control the spacing and movement of the buttons and be more secure.

On the sleeves, the lining is sewn shut like a typical jacket and the buttonholes do not go all the way through the lining, so a taped back to a set couldn't work.

But, if had open space between lining and sleeve fit slide a taped set in, that would work, but might be harder to use in real life.

- B

4. voxsartoria

Interesting how different personalities solve the same problem. If it were me, I'd probably lean more towards Manton's BlazerSuit, but this is intriguing in its own way.

I think I would actually like this more as a DB. While the vest is nice, I don't think it's really essential for the stated purpose, and just takes up space in the suitcase.

As I mentioned, I have a SAS DB in the works...

- B

5. voxsartoria

you have kids?

Surprisingly, yes. One perfect little boy.

- B

6. pblasco

pblasco Well-Known Member

How like did it take from start to finish? Also, were there many "rough drafts" used to test ideas, or was it more preplanned out and then one jacket made?

7. jcc123

jcc123 Senior member

Hey MagnaVox, does Steed charge extra for this Transformer work or is the price the same?

8. Philosoph

Philosoph Senior member

As I mentioned, I have a SAS DB in the works...

- B

You did indeed. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Also, i really like the buttons for your son.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is all terribly, terribly exciting.

10. pblasco

pblasco Well-Known Member

This idea really intrigues me. I work in a super casual field, and live in a very casual town, and so do not have cause to wear anything above casual clothes that often. So spending the money to have many outfits made just doesn't strike me as too sensible. But having something that can fill multiple roles drastically increases the amount of value I get out it. But perhaps thinking about value when you are talking about bespoke clothes is not exactly the point =)

11. voxsartoria

This is all terribly, terribly exciting.

Keep two rolls handy nearby for cleanup:

[​IMG]

- B

12. voxsartoria

Hey MagnaVox, does Steed charge extra for this Transformer work or is the price the same?

I'd rather not say lest it lead to false expectations. I would contact Edwin direclty if you're interested in such a caper.

- B

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Keep two rolls handy nearby for cleanup:

[​IMG]

- B

Well, my wife calls me Peter North sometimes, and we do have double rolls, but not in such an industrial style.

14. braised

braised Senior member

I want the ribbon of gold kruggerands and the throwing knife, oh sorry that's Bond's attache.

At least we should have a toothpick and tweezers, no?

Far too much work and bother, not to mention the fact that small things have a tendency to misplace themselves when travelling.

B

15. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Speak for yourself.

I was going to post those exact words, but then I thought, "I'd better read the rest of the thread before I do that."

16. voxsartoria

This idea really intrigues me. I work in a super casual field, and live in a very casual town, and so do not have cause to wear anything above casual clothes that often. So spending the money to have many outfits made just doesn't strike me as too sensible. But having something that can fill multiple roles drastically increases the amount of value I get out it. But perhaps thinking about value when you are talking about bespoke clothes is not exactly the point =)

No, I think value is definitely a valid consideration. A separate blazer would have cost me $2K more even with the currrently favorable exchange rate. Even for someone who might not be overly concerned with cost, that is the same as getting a completely free jacket.

And, for me at least, going from a three piece suit with navy horn buttons to a two piece suit with MoP buttons changes the whole character, and really is like having two suits. So, that's another $3K there (or whole new suit, a more fun way to think about it.)

- B

17. voxsartoria

I want the ribbon of gold kruggerands and the throwing knife, oh sorry that's Bond's attache.

At least we should have a toothpick and tweezers, no?

Far too much work and bother, not to mention the fact that small things have a tendency to misplace themselves when travelling.

B

The only extra work for me was in thinking about it, and then entertaining you nerds.

I've managed to make it to 46 without losing a cufflink, but I suppose there is a first time for anything...

- B

18. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

It's like anal sex for the first time. At first, you are all amped up and excited. Afterwards, it was just meh.

Are you talking giving or receiving?

19. jcc123

jcc123 Senior member

Well, my wife calls me Peter North sometimes, and we do have double rolls, but not in such an industrial style.

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

20. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I think the jacket is very well done. The contrast between the formal 3-piece and the blazer pictures is striking and shows that the SAS does exactly what it was intended to do. Nice.