• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The sweater guide

modual

Reaction score
I've been trying on sweaters in the last few days but i'm having problems with what to wear under them. I'm sure crewnecks are more versatile than v necks, although i do like both. So how do you guys wear them ? One look i know i'm not into is the t shirt under a v neck look but i'm open to other suggestions. Pictures / links would be good as well

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
v-necks all the way, can't remember a time when i last wore crewnecks

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Button down shirt under a v-neck is my go to look in the winter. Otherwise, I wear a v-neck tshirt underneath. Wear a funky color or bright button down shirt underneath if you want to spice things up a bit. Personally, I am a fan of the v-neck sweater as it suits my facial structure better than a crew neck. I'm back in school now, so I don't have many opportunities to wear ties I accumulated when I was working. Wearing a tie with a button down shirt and sweater is a good way for me to keep them in rotation. Yeah, I still rock the sweater vest too.
For inspirations, check here: http://www.polo.com/family/index.jsp...813&cp=1760781 Today's outfit: Button down white stripe on french blue LS shirt Blue cotton v-neck sweater Burnt red flat front chinos Brown suede boots

cmrocks

Reaction score
I wear sweaters whenever I can; I love them.

I prefer crewnecks over vnecks; just a personal preferance. I have a charchol crewneck that I wear with collared shirts and tshirts under all the time. I also have a light grey vneck that I wear with either a vneck tshirt under, a henley under or a collared shirt. I also have a black cardigan that I wear with tshirts and polos. I don't usually wear the cardigan with a collared shirt because I think it looks too dressy for casual wear.

Hope that helped.

dk7m

Reaction score
I like v-necks more than crewnecks to wear with collared shirts or a tee under but again, it's just personal preference. I'm not a big fan of cardigans but I love sweater vests... In fact I'm looking for a nice argyle print one right now

dizzhizz

Reaction score
Definitet V-necks with collared shirts not to mention some nice argyle prints!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Try to find shallower v-necks. You can still wear them with a buttonup shirt and optionally a tie, but assuming you're in reasonable shape, i.e. your chest isn't flat to sunken (I'm borderline here IMO) you can also wear them with nothing showing underneath.

I also really like my henley/shawl-ish collar sweater, and 1/4 to full zip turtlenecks. I find they look good with a short collared polo shirt popped underneath. I don't mind crewnecks - have a few of those. I hate mocknecks, the kind that only come halfway up the neck - they look very sportscastery to me and are usually loose fitting, yuck. Zip hoodie sweaters would be great, but non-zip ones are far too warm for me.

And polo collar sweaters have always been good. I had a Polo RL polo collar long sleeve sweater that I wore until it fell apart. Lambswool, I would just let the collar do whatever, button it to the top and pop it on cold days. I ended up cutting thumb holes in the sleeves by the time it was on its way out.

I'm not a fan of cardigans for me, but they can look good IMO. I saw a dude wearing a tracksuit or something and thought it was this, but it wasn't - anyway I thought it would look really, really cool (and I would wear it) to have a thin cashmere or lambswool black cardigan with a slim shawl collar with white edging the pockets, cuffs, hems and lapels. If a designer wants to do this, just send me one free please. If you do it with a zipper, use a double zip so I can open the bottom a bit to avoid the gut look. Thx.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I went out bar golfing with some buddies a few weeks ago and decided to hit up thrift stores for some genuine golf attire to wear that night. As a joke my friend found a blue sweater vest and a salmon dress shirt to wear. Funny thing is it actually looked good and got complimented on it throughout the night. Go figure. P.S. I really like the look of this sweater: http://www.polo.com/product/index.js...entPage=family

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i like layering a vneck tee under vneck sweater with a little bit of the tee showing

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some sweaters look best without anything underneath them. Like this one for example...

dk7m

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I also really like my henley/shawl-ish collar sweater, and 1/4 to full zip turtlenecks. I find they look good with a short collared polo shirt popped underneath. I don't mind crewnecks - have a few of those. I hate mocknecks, the kind that only come halfway up the neck - they look very sportscastery to me and are usually loose fitting, yuck. Zip hoodie sweaters would be great, but non-zip ones are far too warm for me.
I'd have to agree with you, j, on the henley and zip turtleneck sweaters cause I forgot to mention them. I think they look great with collared shirts or even a plain tee showing a little underneath. I think some of those thin pullover hoodies look great as well

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 234 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 116 15.8%
  • 31 - 40