1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The sweater guide

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by modual, Sep 11, 2006.

1. modual

modual Senior member

I've been trying on sweaters in the last few days but i'm having problems with what to wear under them. I'm sure crewnecks are more versatile than v necks, although i do like both. So how do you guys wear them ? One look i know i'm not into is the t shirt under a v neck look but i'm open to other suggestions. Pictures / links would be good as well

2. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

v-necks all the way, can't remember a time when i last wore crewnecks

3. DNW

DNW Senior member

Button down shirt under a v-neck is my go to look in the winter. Otherwise, I wear a v-neck tshirt underneath. Wear a funky color or bright button down shirt underneath if you want to spice things up a bit. Personally, I am a fan of the v-neck sweater as it suits my facial structure better than a crew neck. I'm back in school now, so I don't have many opportunities to wear ties I accumulated when I was working. Wearing a tie with a button down shirt and sweater is a good way for me to keep them in rotation. Yeah, I still rock the sweater vest too. [​IMG] For inspirations, check here: http://www.polo.com/family/index.jsp...813&cp=1760781 Today's outfit: Button down white stripe on french blue LS shirt Blue cotton v-neck sweater Burnt red flat front chinos Brown suede boots

4. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior member

I wear sweaters whenever I can; I love them.

I prefer crewnecks over vnecks; just a personal preferance. I have a charchol crewneck that I wear with collared shirts and tshirts under all the time. I also have a light grey vneck that I wear with either a vneck tshirt under, a henley under or a collared shirt. I also have a black cardigan that I wear with tshirts and polos. I don't usually wear the cardigan with a collared shirt because I think it looks too dressy for casual wear.

Hope that helped.

5. dk7m

dk7m Senior member

I like v-necks more than crewnecks to wear with collared shirts or a tee under but again, it's just personal preference. I'm not a big fan of cardigans but I love sweater vests... In fact I'm looking for a nice argyle print one right now [​IMG]

6. dizzhizz

dizzhizz Senior member

Definitet V-necks with collared shirts not to mention some nice argyle prints!

7. j

j Senior member Admin

Try to find shallower v-necks. You can still wear them with a buttonup shirt and optionally a tie, but assuming you're in reasonable shape, i.e. your chest isn't flat to sunken (I'm borderline here IMO) you can also wear them with nothing showing underneath.

I also really like my henley/shawl-ish collar sweater, and 1/4 to full zip turtlenecks. I find they look good with a short collared polo shirt popped underneath. I don't mind crewnecks - have a few of those. I hate mocknecks, the kind that only come halfway up the neck - they look very sportscastery to me and are usually loose fitting, yuck. Zip hoodie sweaters would be great, but non-zip ones are far too warm for me.

And polo collar sweaters have always been good. I had a Polo RL polo collar long sleeve sweater that I wore until it fell apart. Lambswool, I would just let the collar do whatever, button it to the top and pop it on cold days. I ended up cutting thumb holes in the sleeves by the time it was on its way out.

I'm not a fan of cardigans for me, but they can look good IMO. I saw a dude wearing a tracksuit or something and thought it was this, but it wasn't - anyway I thought it would look really, really cool (and I would wear it) to have a thin cashmere or lambswool black cardigan with a slim shawl collar with white edging the pockets, cuffs, hems and lapels. If a designer wants to do this, just send me one free please. If you do it with a zipper, use a double zip so I can open the bottom a bit to avoid the gut look. Thx.

8. whodini

whodini Senior member

I went out bar golfing with some buddies a few weeks ago and decided to hit up thrift stores for some genuine golf attire to wear that night. As a joke my friend found a blue sweater vest and a salmon dress shirt to wear. Funny thing is it actually looked good and got complimented on it throughout the night. Go figure. P.S. I really like the look of this sweater: http://www.polo.com/product/index.js...entPage=family

9. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Senior member

i like layering a vneck tee under vneck sweater with a little bit of the tee showing

10. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Some sweaters look best without anything underneath them. Like this one for example... [​IMG]

11. dk7m

dk7m Senior member

I also really like my henley/shawl-ish collar sweater, and 1/4 to full zip turtlenecks. I find they look good with a short collared polo shirt popped underneath. I don't mind crewnecks - have a few of those. I hate mocknecks, the kind that only come halfway up the neck - they look very sportscastery to me and are usually loose fitting, yuck. Zip hoodie sweaters would be great, but non-zip ones are far too warm for me.
    I'd have to agree with you, j, on the henley and zip turtleneck sweaters cause I forgot to mention them. I think they look great with collared shirts or even a plain tee showing a little underneath. I think some of those thin pullover hoodies look great as well